4DTV 922.............Cheap retailer?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
Where the cheapest place to find a 922...new, without programing?
Right now I'm locked into DN so I don't need any more subscriptions, but I'd like to get the receiver for future subscriptions. I've bid on a few on Ebay but I always have the concern that the battery will go dead, or is close to going dead, making the whole investment worthless. Besides that, some bidders on Ebay seem to lose their mind when bidding and get stuck in some sort of feeding frenzy. I guess I plain old don't like Ebay.

So the bottom line is where can I get one I can use for in the clear analog now (to set up the dish and stuff) and subscribe latter?

922 Looking for a New One

I`m also looking for a new 922 without programming now that they are back in supply.
The best I could find is NPS for $399 with $150 credit for programing or items from their stock. I need to upgrade my system with a Corotor II+ and new LNBs. This sounds like the best deal but I`m not sure that I know all the best places to search.
I`m also planning on adding a FTA receiver and know nothing about them. Are they all capable of receiving the same and it`s just a mattrer of brand choice and features?? Can someone recommend a FTA receiver??
Thank you!!!

Ebay is ok....

Greg Mueller said:
Stinkin Ebay
When you buy from a good seller.

Greg Mueller said:
Stinkin Ebay

Hi Greg....I presume you know about the Battery that backs up the Security code in the 4dtv? it usually has a life of about 10yrs. If your 922 says General Instruments (Do not remember when Motorola took over)....it is VERY OLD (I think the 922 came out in 1992??) Sure I will be corrected if I am wrong.

There is some Info I contributed to the Faq about when I replaced my Lithium Battery in the 920...not for the faint of heart. It is under the VCII cage on the 920...never have looked inside a 922 though!

I have been around electronics for a long time and did the changeout with the AC power on....(Only went around the low voltage area) I ONLY did it after I got my 922 last year so my 920 battery lasted over 14 yrs! There is just no telling until it loses ac power and goes brain dead. Even if you check it with a VOM, it could read 3.6V one day and be 0 the next!

Not trying to scare you...just be aware!

cspiteri said:
I`m also looking for a new 922 without programming now that they are back in supply.
The best I could find is NPS for $399 with $150 credit for programing or items from their stock. I need to upgrade my system with a Corotor II+ and new LNBs. This sounds like the best deal but I`m not sure that I know all the best places to search.
I`m also planning on adding a FTA receiver and know nothing about them. Are they all capable of receiving the same and it`s just a mattrer of brand choice and features?? Can someone recommend a FTA receiver??
Thank you!!!

Actually the NPS deal is a pretty good one considering what we were paying for 922's over the past few years. As to the FTA unit I like my Traxis 3500. It is relatively inexpensive and has most of the important features. No matter which receiver you decide on be sure it has true blind search capability.

SD

Hang out on the FTA Forum....

sdoradus said:
Actually the NPS deal is a pretty good one considering what we were paying for 922's over the past few years. As to the FTA unit I like my Traxis 3500. It is relatively inexpensive and has most of the important features. No matter which receiver you decide on be sure it has true blind search capability.

SD

I recommend that you get on the FTA forum and read the reviews...They are excellent!! There really is no best...depends on what you want...and as said before....you definately want TRUE HARDWARE BLINDSCAN!!!

From my own experiences (I wrote the Viewsat Extreme review just after getting into the hobby, and did not know about the forum!) ....I would NOT recommend the Viewsats! There is apparently a big time bug in the usals motor function) I am lucky to miss it since my FTA comes in from my BUD!

My own preference is the Coolsat 5000 but many others prefer other brands/models. HARDWARE BLINDSCAN...cannot stress that enough! I would replace my Viewsat with the Coolsat but have decided to wait for an HD FTA receiver that is decently priced...might take some time, and the Viewsat Extreme replacement can wait until then! (works fine on my BUD, but has a few quirks I do not like!

You will find very knowing people there...my personal favorite posters are 2 of the moderators...Iceberg (the hacker hammer:D ) and PSB who is in the business!

Regards
jeff

I agree with Jeff on the Coolsat. I've got a Coolsat 4000, which is very similar to the 5000 and it's much better than my old Fortec Ultra. The blind scanning is much much faster on the Coolsat.

Mike

Hi Greg....I presume you know about the Battery that backs up the Security code in the 4dtv? it usually has a life of about 10yrs. If your 922 says General Instruments (Do not remember when Motorola took over)....it is VERY OLD (I think the 922 came out in 1992??) Sure I will be corrected if I am wrong.

There is some Info I contributed to the Faq about when I replaced my Lithium Battery in the 920...not for the faint of heart. It is under the VCII cage on the 920...never have looked inside a 922 though!

If what the Ebay description says is true, then this unit was new in March of this year. Hopefully it will last a while.
While the idea of replacing an onboard battery sounds scary, I have actually done it on computer mbrds.

Maybe you could write a tutorial with pictures and all...

I got my 922 on ebay last year for 350. It was a gamble buying it there, but I didn't have to deal with a bunch of bundled subscriptions. (I do have the NPS AD)

The machine has worked great, other than changing the VC board (battery)..and I consider that problem to have been reasonable.

Jeff & Mike;
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I`m thinking of going with the Coolsat 5000 as per your recommendations. Is the 6000 that much better to warrant the higher price?? Any preferred supplier ??
Thanks again!!!

Do not knot anything about the 6000..

cspiteri said:
Jeff & Mike;
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I`m thinking of going with the Coolsat 5000 as per your recommendations. Is the 6000 that much better to warrant the higher price?? Any preferred supplier ??
Thanks again!!!

I have not heard from anyone with a 6000. Some of our sponsors probably carry the Coolsat so I would look their First...Buying from a supporting sponsor has advantagers ...LIKE SUPPORT!!! Soudan is well known for his support but I have not checked out his sight to see what receivers he carries.

You can also PM PSB or ICEBERG (FTA group Modeators) for their recommendations...they are the real pros!:)

Best of Luck
Jeff

Hi greg...check out the faq

Greg Mueller said:
If what the Ebay description says is true, then this unit was new in March of this year. Hopefully it will last a while.
While the idea of replacing an onboard battery sounds scary, I have actually done it on computer mbrds.

Maybe you could write a tutorial with pictures and all...

Hi Greg:

1st off if your 922 was built even within the past couple of years...you are safe! (unless the unlikely event occurs and the onboard battery is defective.) Also living in an area with few blackouts doesn't hurt!

Wonder why the guy sold off such a new 922...maybe he was moving? (It should be "made in the Philippines")

The Lithium batteries should be good up to 10 yrs at least....It is best to keep the 922 and VCII units in a cool area if possible (If taken from service), since heat helps shorten the life of the battery. Otherwise, always plugged in is better!

I wrote what I did in the C band faq. It is not hard, since you have worked with PCB's...JUST TAKE NOTE OF THE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS! As lithiums age, they become "touchy" about being stressed and can burst...mucho dangerous stuff!!!.

The faq has great links w/ pics to replacing the lithium on a VCII so you can get the idea! Somewhere I also posted a few of my own pics when I did my own VCII also and took a few shots(use the find all posts for me) It was last year when I joind up or early this year that I wrote that post! (nothing special about my Pics...the ones in the faq link are better with lots of info!) I did not take Pics when I did my 920 since I was a bit nervous (and took care of business straight away) about the Lithium ...that sucker was OLD!

Here is one to get you going...again, if it is this new...just watch and enjoy!
http://www.pacificsites.com/~alanjudd/vc.htm

Also there is what looks like a little bubble on one of the leads...if that breaks, you will be covered in lithium...NOT A NICE THING! I wore goggles, latex gloves, as always, (+ a long sleave jacket) just in case since my 920 battery was so old (it still measured 3.6 V after all that time!)

Again, I have not looked into the 922 since I got it late last year. Also if the battery is the same...the Positive end has TWO leads (actually tabs)...THAT WAS A PAIN! I always use the lowest possible setting on my solder station on PCB boards, and felt safer, since I left the 920 plugged into AC during the batteryectemy!:D

I am only saying this since you already know to stay away from anything other than the low voltage area..AND BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO SHORT ANYTHING!!!

FINALLY...I WOULD NOT WORRY IF YOU ARE SURE THAT YOURS WAS MADE SO RECENTLY!!!!! MAYBE 5 -7 YRS FROM KNOW, YOU CAN HAVE A PEEK (MUST HAVE TORX TOOLS!) Check out the faq for a few links to replacing batteries in VCII boards...very similar except you have to maintain 3.6 v during the operation since it has no other source of power when you remove the module! I used the radio shack battery holder with a lithium 3.6 AA during the swap...no problem there either!

regards
jeff

gizzer777 said:
The faq has great links w/ pics to replacing the lithium on a VCII so you can get the idea! Somewhere I also posted a few of my own pics when I did my own VCII also and took a few shots(use the find all posts for me) It was last year when I joind up or early this year that I wrote that post! (nothing special about my Pics...the ones in the faq link are better with lots of info!) I did not take Pics when I did my 920 since I was a bit nervous (and took care of business straight away) about the Lithium ...that sucker was OLD!
Should be links to your threads in the FAQ's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts