Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I found out by accident that the 922's IR codes seem to be the same as the Voom boxes. My universal remote changes channels / pulls up the guide on the Voom box and the 922 at the same time.

For the time being, I've fashioned a crappy IR tent on the Voom box to keep me from messing up recordings on the Tivo while I'm controlling the 922.

My question is: Has anyone has used the 'address' feature on the remote and did it has solve the problem of the 922's remote inadvertantly controlling other devices?

I should be getting my 'real' remote any time now.

Shawn95GT said:
I found out by accident that the 922's IR codes seem to be the same as the Voom boxes. My universal remote changes channels / pulls up the guide on the Voom box and the 922 at the same time.
For the time being, I've fashioned a crappy IR tent on the Voom box to keep me from messing up recordings on the Tivo while I'm controlling the 922.
My question is: Has anyone has used the 'address' feature on the remote and did it has solve the problem of the 922's remote inadvertantly controlling other devices?
I should be getting my 'real' remote any time now.

Yes for people that have more than one 4dtv, or have Voom and Star choice with the 4dtv, you have the option to select 4 different remote addresses, though off my head I am not sure how to do it...

tdti1 said:
Yes for people that have more than one 4dtv, or have Voom and Star choice with the 4dtv, you have the option to select 4 different remote addresses, though off my head I am not sure how to do it...
I found it in the manual - I was just hoping that it keeps the 922 remote from affecting the Voom. I guess I'll find out soon :).

Thanks,

Shawn

tdti1 said:
Yes it will.
Cool.

For the heck of it, I grabbed one of my Voom remotes and it runs the 922 pretty nicely. If I'd have known I might have held off ordering a 'real' remote a little longer.

I'm sure the 'real' remote will be nice though.

Shawn

the 922 also does IR (as did the 920)

Shawn95GT said:
Cool.
For the heck of it, I grabbed one of my Voom remotes and it runs the 922 pretty nicely. If I'd have known I might have held off ordering a 'real' remote a little longer.
I'm sure the 'real' remote will be nice though.
Shawn

The 4DTV units also receive IR remote commands....Programed it right into my Harmony 880 universal setup...excellent.

Nice thing about the RF remote is that I can move the dish around from outside the house!
Jeff

The 922 remote interferes with the Satworks. I have changed to all four address's on the 922 with no luck. Each of the different address's just run different options on the Satworks. I have tried to obtain the code for the Satworks thinking maybe I could change it, no such luck, you can't do it. When I had the 3688 software in the 3618 the only good thing was that the 922 remote would not interfer, that's the best thing I can say about the 3688. The one that bothers me the most is when I am bumping the dish to bring in an FTA channel each click of the 922 changes the channel on the Satworks.:( :confused:

Last edited:
gizzer777 said:
Nice thing about the RF remote is that I can move the dish around from outside the house!
Jeff

I've done the same thing. It's kind of handy when making adjustments. It can also be kind of cool if you want to mess with the dog, or certain female type people. :D

Yep on the dog and guests + neighbor!

iammike said:
I've done the same thing. It's kind of handy when making adjustments. It can also be kind of cool if you want to mess with the dog, or certain female type people. :D

I have 2 dogs and they go wild when the dish moves...sort of mechanical animal they think. They stand up on 2 legs and howl at it...Guests just freak when I sneak the remote outside and have the dish move to the opposite side of the arc....great minds think alike I guess. One gal actually got scared (not very bright I grant you...Aliens?) <grin>

In fact it had been parked on G1 for the past 5 or so years with Starz Digital ( Just a little movement to G9 at 2am when the guide was there and then back to G1....fat,dumb and lazy! My neighbor with a small dish came over to see what was going on when the dish started moving the entire arc again this month!!!! hehheh...I think his wife sent him!

Most people these days are brainwashed and have no idea that BUDs still work...especially one that had not moved in so long a time! IT IS ALIVE!!!

Well, I was out washing the car tonight and the big brown truck rolled up with my remote.

The first thing I did was spend a solid minute figuring out how the heck to get the battery door open.

Once the batteries were in, I got to setting up the remote address. I setup the reciever to address 1 in about two seconds.

The remote was more of a hassel. I did it as per the destructions but the 'sat' light on the remote stayed lit like it was waiting for another number to be input. The manual say address '1' is entered as 001. That didn't work. I did the same thing a half dozen times thinking I was missing some kind of timing or something. This wasn't working so I tried '0001' which did the trick.

At address 1 I can now run the 4DTV without effecting the Voom box :).

Now i just need to figure out if there is any magical length to make a length of cable to act as the UHF antenna. Right now I get all of 12" of range out of it - lol. The manual says to put a length of cable on the UHF connection to act as an antenna.

Shawn

Shawn,
The unit came with a 6" antenna, it probably has been lost by the previous owner. I would ask him to look for it, he might find it. Then again, maybe he never used it and would never find it. I would ask anyway. You might could find one at the Rat Shack. All it is is a stiff wire with 90 degree elbo on one end and a coax connecter attached to it. While Voom existed for it's wonderful year and a half, I put my antenna off my 4dtv onto the Voom box and used it as a uhf remote for Voom throughout the house.

Al

voomvoom said:
Shawn,
The unit came with a 6" antenna, it probably has been lost by the previous owner. I would ask him to look for it, he might find it. Then again, maybe he never used it and would never find it. I would ask anyway. You might could find one at the Rat Shack. All it is is a stiff wire with 90 degree elbo on one end and a coax connecter attached to it. While Voom existed for it's wonderful year and a half, I put my antenna off my 4dtv onto the Voom box and used it as a uhf remote for Voom throughout the house.
Al
I bet I could steal the one off the HTS System 70 to play with.

I'd like to keep that system together in case I want to use it in a pinch. The manual said to use 'a length' of RG59 - I'll try a piece of RG6.

Thanks for the Info!

Shawn

If you really want to improve things, take an old UHF loop antenna and attach it to the end of the coax. It should give you a little better range.

Whe I was doing a lot of Cband work, I "made" a few of those UHF remote control antennas by taking an 8 inch piece of RG6 coax and crimping on an end and stripping about 6 inches of the foam, shield, & jacket back to the center conductor. Then I bent it to a 90 degree angle. This worked just fine as a Remote Antenna. You can allways experiment on the length of the exposed conductor for range improvement.

BryanSR

My ghetto UHF antenna

I built one like BryanSR described. It was a pain in the rear to get the long section of inner core off of the center wire. I eventually made it work.

This is SO worth doing, even if you are only using the IR. It has made the unit MUCH more responsive to the remote.

I didn't measure anything - I just cut off a piece that looked about right :cool: . I'm able to stand out at the dish and move it around now.

Last edited:
Great...now...

Shawn95GT said:
I built one like BryanSR described. It was a pain in the rear to get the long section of inner core off of the center wire. I eventually made it work.

This is SO worth doing, even if you are only using the IR. It has made the unit MUCH more responsive to the remote.

I didn't measure anything - I just cut off a piece that looked about right :cool: . I'm able to stand out at the dish and move it around now.

Hi Shawn...Nice job

...now go scare the neighbors, your dog, and female friends )or wife)....I know wierd, but the reactions are amusing!
jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)