4DTV Activation Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I purchased a used 4DTV 920 off of Ebay. I reset the receiver to the factory defaults. I can pick up the analog channels with minimal sparkles. I'm using an ASC421 lnbf. I can pull in digital FTA signals crystal clear on my Pansat 2500, but I cannot get the Digicipher II channels using my 920. I may have been suckered into a 4DTV receiver with a malfunctioning DCII module, but I'm trying to rule that out.

Do I first need to move to G1 to re-activate the receiver? Is there any other way activate the 920? Currently I cannot see much beyond G10. I think I have too many trees in the way and the satellite at 133 degrees is very low on the horizon for me to see.

Thanks.

The sats for the 4dtv are in the same position but are different in signals etc...FTA is mostly KU band and 4dtv is C and KU (most of what you want is probably on C band.

If the seller was activated, try to get on G1 and leave the 920 turned OFF overnight.
Make sure the setup options are set to allow the dish to turn at night to pick up the guide.

If the clock sets itself, the unit is "activated" or you can call a provider and subscribe to something.

You should not have sparkles though and what size and type (mesh, solid, perforated aluminium etc) the more info the better!!!is your dish?

I think the 4dtv wants LNB's not LNBF's. It uses a servo motor (cheap) in the feedhorn to change polarity.

That means a separate feed horn and lnbs...check out the faq for lots of info on installs!! Also see the section on the 920 battery. If it has not been changed out, it is probably nearing the end of its lifspan!!!! I had also written a piece on changing out my battery on my old 920 (not unless you are experienced...Lithium is dangerous, especially when the battery is old or becomes stressed!)
Good luck and keep us posted!!
Jeff

Last edited:
rjc3895 said:
I purchased a used 4DTV 920 off of Ebay. I reset the receiver to the factory defaults. I can pick up the analog channels with minimal sparkles. I'm using an ASC421 lnbf. I can pull in digital FTA signals crystal clear on my Pansat 2500, but I cannot get the Digicipher II channels using my 920. I may have been suckered into a 4DTV receiver with a malfunctioning DCII module, but I'm trying to rule that out.

Do I first need to move to G1 to re-activate the receiver? Is there any other way activate the 920? Currently I cannot see much beyond G10. I think I have too many trees in the way and the satellite at 133 degrees is very low on the horizon for me to see.

Thanks.
rjc3895, I think your problem might be the 4dtv settings. Press "Options", #6, #4, #2, and then on #2 (right or left arrow) decide which setting is best for your set-up. I don't really know what the ASC421 is, there is a setting for "C-Band and Ku-band LNBFs", I think this might be the one you need. I use "C-Band and Ku-Band LNBs" setting with mine, but I have LNBs. Hope this helps.

Al

rjc3895 said:
Do I first need to move to G1 to re-activate the receiver? Is there any other way activate the 920? Currently I cannot see much beyond G10. I think I have too many trees in the way and the satellite at 133 degrees is very low on the horizon for me to see..

You can activate your 920 and download the channel maps from Galaxy 10, C band transponder 5. You only need to go to G1 for the guide.

voomvoom said:
rjc3895, I think your problem might be the 4dtv settings. Press "Options", #6, #4, #2, and then on #2 (right or left arrow) decide which setting is best for your set-up. I don't really know what the ASC421 is, there is a setting for "C-Band and Ku-band LNBFs", I think this might be the one you need. I use "C-Band and Ku-Band LNBs" setting with mine, but I have LNBs. Hope this helps.

Al

The ASC421 is a c-band lnbf from DMSI that handles both verticle and horizontal polarity without a servo motor. I changed the receiver settings to c-band lnbf on the 920.

I have a c-band lnb with a servor motor and I may give that a try as well. I'm going to try MKM4's suggestion first and try to get the channel map from G10. Thanks.

By the way, the old Janiel 180 H to H is working like a champ. It had a lot of rust, but I was able to get the elevation and declination bolts loose. The channel I really wanted was the Sportsman channel, and I can get that. So everything else that I find is just icing on the cake :)

After a MR on a 920 you will need to reauthorize the unit, you may need Galaxy-15 transponder-3 (G1-3) for authorization, I am not sure if it can be done on other satellites.

OK. Last night I replaced the ASC421 LNBF with the regular C-band feedhorn with servo motor. The first advantage that I noticed is that I can "fine tune" the polarity. I was able to pull in an analog feed of a major league basball game. But the biggest difference was due to the length of the feed horn. This lnb has a longer tube on it than the 421 lnbf which means I was able to move the lnb back further from the dish. This greatly improved my reception.

I'm still trying to tweak the signal and get the elevation and declination adjusted properly. Hopefully I'll be able to tackle this tonight.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)