4DTV and Canadian Satellites?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Skylooker

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Northeast Indiana
I thought I read somewhere that it's dangerous to point at Canadian Satellites (F2 in particular, I think) with a 4DTV system. It said something about the 4DTV taking a software update that would cause damage to a unit being used in the U.S. Can someone tell me if this is really an issue or not? - Thanks!

If a 4DTV 920 or 922 is placed on A1 107.3W or A2 111.1W the DC2 channels would be added to your count and if the TDT (transponder definition table) exceeds 1920 (found by pressing options 6 0 5 right or left arrow to Diagnostics G first line 5'th set of numbers from the left looks something like 4523 66 0 0 1800 70 74 1 24 --- 1800 is the number you are looking for) you would need to do a master reset.

The unit is not toasted but strange things can happen when the number exceeds the above. A master reset will place the unit back to factory memory and you will have to reprogram it.

Well, as long as there's no permanent damage. I thought I read where it might be necessary to send the unit out for reprogramming if it took a Canadian software download. A master reset is a pain, but not the end of the world. Thanks!

As far as I know pointing at the Anik *C birds will max out the TDT on the 920 and 922. Once that hits 1920 the unit starts dropping satellites and channels. A master reset will get it back to factory settings and clear the TDT overflow.

As far as I know pointing at the Anik *C birds will max out the TDT on the 920 and 922. Once that hits 1920 the unit starts dropping satellites and channels. A master reset will get it back to factory settings and clear the TDT overflow.

Yes in most cases, I do recall at one time people with 920's had to send them in to be reflashed, I am pretty sure it's only 920's with a certain firmware (the otriginal one?), I am not sure if Motorola ever fixed this or not, and it was AE or something? not sure, it was a long time ago.

you shouldnt have to have it reflashed...just a MR takes care of it

the 905 doesnt have this issue as there is no analog tuner in it :)

you shouldnt have to have it reflashed...just a MR takes care of it

the 905 doesn't have this issue as there is no analog tuner in it :)

Ya your probably right, I would guess the 920's with that old fireware are out of service or killed themself by now.

I have not heard much about it lately so I guess it mite have been the very first 920's with that problem, I think what use to happen to some with a certain firmware was that it would load the Canadian firmware and you could not get it back to the American one, something like that?? I guess my thoughts are just pretty old school, as I have not read anything about that in a few years. Probably old discussions about it over at satforums someplace.

Best to get a used Starchoice receiver off e-bay or wherever and point that at Anik Ku if uncertain.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)