4dtv922

Status
Please reply by conversation.

surfdevil83

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Toronto
I have been looking for a provider in canada that still offers true cband programing and I found a guy that can set me up with a new 922 shipped to my door for around $750. My question is are these recievers able to pick up other channels like a free to air unit(g4,g18,g11), or with a subcribtion am I limited to the channels chosen. I have had spent alot of hours sipping on a beer scanning the skies with several fta's and I don't want to be dissapointed or should I say limited. I was thinking about used but I have heard of problems with batterys and activations. The guy thats setting me up also speaks highly of this site! Any advice would be greatly apriciated.

I think 750$ for a 922 now a days is too much money.

I agree it does sound high but it is brand new. These recievers are super hard to find around here. Maybe someone knows of another source in canada.

The 4DTV is not an FTA receiver. It is a good dish mover and great for Digicipher programming available from multiple c-band suppliers. But it will not receive FTA signals. To use FTA, it would be the master receiver and you slave the FTA to it with Hi freq splitterrs. Or I guess you could go the other way if you wanted to , but the 4D likes to be in charge (it needs to move the dish to pick up the program guide each night).

I only know of one C-band supplier for Canada, and they sell the 4dtv for $699 CA. Try satellitesource. I don't have many posts so it might not show the link below.

Satellite Communications Source - Canadian Satellite Services

If you are allowed to buy programming from US suppliers in Canada there are
SRL, NPS, and SPS. You can find used 922s for about 200 US on e-bay.

their web site seems out of date, but under pricing they say 922s are $599.

I think the main US cband providers won't sub anyone in Canada ( at least they wouldn't when I had a c band analog sub), therefore you will need to go through a Canadian reseller for the programming. I believe there is only one reseller in my city left, compared to 4 or 5 when analog was still fairly strong.

I wouldn't be so worried about the Canada aspect. SPS makes you buy in 3 month chunks and you pay before they give u service. SO what would it matter if he is in .CA

You would have to REALLY want a 922 to lay out 750 clams for one. That is steep, IMO. A DCII sub is very nice to have, and there are ITC broadcast available I've only begin to piddle with, but keep in mind it is not new tech, (slow, cumbersome guide, etc) nor does it natively support HD, or PVR functions if those are feature you are seeking.
I'm not really trying to discourage you, just pointing out the value at a $750 price tag. I payed more for my 922 than I wanted to, but I wanted it so I bit the bullet and got it. Lots of other 4Ders here got good deals via Fleabay. If you are good with that, then that is a good place to start. Do you have a craigslist or similar type of marketing venue in your locale? Another place to check if so.
I dont know what if any restrictions you will encounter, but if it is a C band DCII sub you are interested in, Skyvision has a DCII sub service using a re-furb'd DSR410 for a reasonable price. You may be able to sub it 'stateside' if you have friends/ relatives that can provide you with an addy.
AFAIK the ITC DCII channels are not available to this setup, but be sure to get someone that has one to verify that. Also, all the tp's for this service are on W5, so a fixed C band dish pointed to 105W will get you everything subbable. Mike Kohl, a member here is a reseller for the setup via Skyvision as well. Google his name for more info.
There are members far better qualified to comment on the use of commercial DCII equipment for ITC DCII but I thought I'd mention that possibility too, since you expressed an interest in the 'open' DCII stuff.
Good luck, and hopefully you will soon be a member of the DCII club.
Long live C band!

Last edited:
The price in Canada for a 4dtv for the past 2-3 years has been around $800, I paid $1799.99 when I got mine, that was a long time ago, it was when it first came out, for Canada that sounds like the usual price, I'm just surprised you found a new one, The $700 price scottxray pointed out is not bad for Canada.

The price in Canada for a 4dtv for the past 2-3 years has been around $800, I paid $1799.99 when I got mine, that was a long time ago, it was when it first came out, for Canada that sounds like the usual price, I'm just surprised you found a new one, The $700 price scottxray pointed out is not bad for Canada.

Ouch!, I payed $576 to the door brand new for my DSR 922 about 4 years ago from Skyvision. This included a $150 Skybucks coupon for programming. Actually the receiver was $399 but you had to take the Skybucks to get that price. I payed $1500 back in the day for my Monterey and thought my 4D's price was a bargain. Seems they really hit you guys hard up north :(

I purchased my DSR905 from a member here on Satellite Guys. If you are able to find a good working one (there are a few kicking around in Canada, just found on the other night) there's really no benefit to it being new because it's really "new old stock" and will have the same battery issues as other 922s which have been used. If it's never been plugged in then it might not even work. For that price you'd want to get a guarantee that it works. I'd be looking elsewhere though to bring the price down a bit. As far as programming, I sub through Skyvision from here in Canada with no issues.

The 922 was for the US providers. The Canadian cousin is the 921. Same box but with different firmware and channel mapping. The model to purchase should be for the country that has the provider you want.

The price seems pretty steep for $750 IMHO. My insurance paid for my 922 back in 2007. At that time, they were still in production and cost almost $500 USD.

Wow thanks for all the replys and advice. I guess I'd better do some more homework before I jump into anything. Just about everyone that replied stated that the price was too high. I have been offered a used one from a member here for alot less and found yet another one for $450 locally. I'm also glad to see that there is options to programing although Cband stuff seems very reasonable anyway.

The 921 can't be subbed to 4DTV, only starchoice (shaw direct) and analog American channels. Since there is no more analog cband subs the 921 would only be able to be subbed to Shaw Direct on ku band.

Well you just answered another question because thats what it is a starchoice. I almost had a door stop for 450.

Ya be careful, my buddy bought a 921 for I think $700 this was about the same time I bought my 922, he was not a happy man, a 921 has been worth less than $50 for the last 5-8 years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)