4DTVer wants to dabble with FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rtrowbridge

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Trenton, UT
I've been a 4DTV subscriber for about 5 years and am thinking about trying out the FTA side of things. I know I can slave an FTA receiver to my 4DTV unit (10' mesh with C-Band LNB), but I really don't want to complicate my current setup anymore than I have to.

I'm thinking I would rather just play around with it on my laptop. This limits me to one of the USB units. I'm assuming I would continue to use the 4DTV to change satellites, but don't know enough about the FTA units to know how they discover what satellite they are on.

Would I have to scan a satellite every time I tune it in? Or would channels be stored.

How do I make the connection to my satellite dish without degrading the signal to the 4DTV (A-B switch?)?

What USB units would you recommend? I'm not after 'adult' content or anything that isn't true FTA.

Is a blind scan available on the USB boxes? Is it even necessary?

Thank you for any input you might have.

i know nothing about usb boxes.
but adding a box would not be much more complicated than adding a dvd player or vcr takes up no more room. and a STB remembers the station that it scans(if they stay in the clear ITC) LOL
do you watch 4dtv on the laptop ?
and with that 10 footer you are good to go. need a splitter and some coax cable.
good luck

My wife already complains about the number of remotes we have kicking around and isn't interested in having another box she has to worry about learning how to use. That's why I'd rather just do it on the laptop. I'm also out of A/V inputs on my receiver with everything else that's already attached (TV converter box, VCR/DVD burner, DVD player, 4DTV).

The 4DTV goes through the receiver to the television (no HD flatscreen yet).

I was concerned adding a splitter would reduce my signal strength and possibly add noise with an open coax cable when it wasn't attached to the box.

If the bug bites hard enough, I might upgrade my LNB. I'm C-Band only right now. Not much call for Ku band with the 4DTV...

i know nothing about usb boxes.
but adding a box would not be much more complicated than adding a dvd player or vcr takes up no more room. and a STB remembers the station that it scans(if they stay in the clear ITC) LOL
do you watch 4dtv on the laptop ?
and with that 10 footer you are good to go. need a splitter and some coax cable.
good luck

I couldn't imagine only having 4DTV and not an FTA receiver. I use the FTA receiver as much, if not more than the 4DTV. The Networks (ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX) are all available FTA without subscription costs. I have a USB satellite receiver, and quite honestly haven't used it much. It doesn't have Blind Scan capabilities, and to me Blind Scan is one of the main things I love to do with FTA - Searching for wild feeds..

I don't think that it would complicate things too much to include an FTA receiver beside your 4DTV receiver. Most FTA receivers these days have an LNB pass-thru style connection that will pass the signal through to your 4DTV unit.

In my setup, I have the 4DTV Model 920 receiver moving the dish and controlling the polarity, and then I use my Visionsat/Coolsat or Fortec receiver to scan the skies.

I have a splitter that I use to split the LNB signal. It is a special 1-side power pass splitter that only allows power to go through 1 connection - so that I don't fry both receivers by having them both pushing power out to the LNB at the same time.

Anyways... My opinion is to scrap the idea of a USB satellite receiver.. Mine has been sitting in a drawer for about 18 months now. I just use my set-top boxes so that I can watch TV on the TV (not the computer).

The USB "box" does not store anything.
Basically, it is the equivalent of a PCI card.
You use a DVB app (software/program) for tuning and viewing.
And they don't blind scan.
It is possible with some software, but takes a long time.
You may save the channels in your DVB app.
A major factor for you is the CPU speed of your laptop.
And the RAM installed.
Want to make sure it will do HD feeds.
All I use is my computer (no receiver).
Works fine (4:2:2, AC3, no problem!)

The USB/PCI cards are pretty cool and fun, they open another door into FTA. But I couldn't imagine doing FTA without a set-top box. The PC cards can be a headache because you have to deal with software, drivers, codecs, etc... With a set top box it's virtually plug and play. For me, the PC cards are just an extension, not my primary use. I understand your reason for wanting to use a USB card, but I strongly suggest starting with a STB first. Find you a used one on eBay or somewhere to get started. I have a Coolsat 5000 that I love! It probably has one of the better blind scans available and a very easy to use interface. I haven't looked recently but I'm willing to bet you good find one very inexpensive used.

I had seen the Match Box Pro on eBay and it sounded interesting, though their only response to a question about coax connections between their unit and the 4DTV (It has a pass-through) was that I needed a computer for it to work. Not too encouraging.

I know GeniaTech makes one, too.

My laptop should be up to spec. It's a dual core 1.83mhz with a GeForce Go 7600 and 2 gigs of RAM (HP DV9000).

Where I'm C-Band only, I don't think I need the whole kit Sadoun sells to slave an FTA receiver to a 4DTV. I think I could get away with a single splitter.

I do appreciate the suggestions about getting the set top box, but where I'm out of video inputs on my A/V receiver, I'm not sure how I would be able to connect it in. Plus using it on the laptop would let me fool around with it while my daughters are watching Barbie's Three Musketeers (again!!!!).

You could always plug the box into one of the inputs into the VCR. Or get a cheap video switcher at Best Buy or Radio Shack. Good luck with whichever endeavor you pursue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)