4K DirecTV Install Experience

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would wait. There has been some question on whether the current RB LNB's will continue to be released. The signals on many are 10 points down on 99cr transponders. There is also speculation that the ones being sold on ebay (like I bought) are units rejected by the installer(s) because of this fault.
This is all speculation. Nothing official.

Doubt there will be any upgrades available until a channel launch date is announced.

I would wait. There has been some question on whether the current RB LNB's will continue to be released.
Field tests must be going ok as they are not planning on releasing them nationwide in April. I have a one and my signal is not down 10 points. Infact my signal appears to be about the same as it was.

I have heard however they are having truble with the 5 LNB model. And that may be what you are hearing.

Please keep in mind Harrisburg dma is a pilot for reverse band and the 54, not everyone else will have these same results

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Actually, I think the 54 is nationwide at this point. The RBLNB is limited from what I understand but the 54 should if I recall correctly be nationwide at this point.

There is also speculation that the ones being sold on ebay (like I bought) are units rejected by the installer(s) because of this fault.
I would venture that like most "new" DirecTV equipment on eBay, it is more likely that it fell out of an installers van and into their garage than it being any type of reject.

I had my system installed 3 weeks ago when I moved into my new house. I live in Kansas and my HR54 and 4K client was a first for my technician. He had to call another installer to track down a HR54 for me. He didn't have a clue on the 4K stuff until I told him what was needed to watch the new stuff. I also bought a RB LNB from Ebay and haven't noticed any signal degradation.

I have a weekly call that says otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Weird, Directv FOM for us told us it was finally nationwide. Every single one of our markets are installing them however, 34's have been sent out so it won't be long before were installing them again

Has anyone else noticed the the Image quality of HD and 4K programs on DirecTV look better using the native 4K RVU clients on Samsung SUHD TV's versus the C61K. I originally was using a C61K and now have gone RVU full time because I feel it just looks way better and the RVU performs just as smoothly (the GUI that is). My model is a Samsung 65JS8500

I have a samsung HU8550 and found my experience to be the opposite with the RVU client. Scrolling through the guide takes 1-3 seconds before the guide will change pages and the response time was crazy slow. I ended up going to a C61K full time and that worked much better for me. Image quality wise, both look the same. I have my C61K going through my 4k AVR though.

I have a samsung HU8550 and found my experience to be the opposite with the RVU client. Scrolling through the guide takes 1-3 seconds before the guide will change pages and the response time was crazy slow. I ended up going to a C61K full time and that worked much better for me. Image quality wise, both look the same. I have my C61K going through my 4k AVR though.
I wonder if it's the processors in the TV's that makes the difference. I don't know if the processor in my TV is any faster than the one in the HU8550 but I will add that with recent firmware updates the GUI speed of the RVU in my TV specifically definitely got better, to the point where I now hold the opinion that the GUI speed is pretty much on Par with the C61K. Also, with my eyes, I feel the RVU looks better, and that's one less box to deal with near my TV I decided to stick with RVU for now.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a RBLNB?

Directv just upgraded me to a 54 (being mailed out tomorrow) they said my dish (two years old) is capable of doing 4K and all I needed was the 54 if I wanted 4K and was willing to part with my 44. Is this not accurate?

They gave me the 54 for a clean swap of the 44 as opposed to a 4K mini genie which would have required a two year contract.

What am I missing in order to get 4K? The customer service rep said I'd be good to go with the 54. Hope he wasn't wrong.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a RBLNB?

Directv just upgraded me to a 54 (being mailed out tomorrow) they said my dish (two years old) is capable of doing 4K and all I needed was the 54 if I wanted 4K and was willing to part with my 44. Is this not accurate?

They gave me the 54 for a clean swap of the 44 as opposed to a 4K mini genie which would have required a two year contract.

What am I missing in order to get 4K? The customer service rep said I'd be good to go with the 54. Hope he wasn't wrong.

she was and wasnt. there are two methods of recieving 4k content.

ON Demand 4K requires:
HR34, 44, or 54
RVU connected TV OR C61k client

Live broadcast 4k (satellite feed):

RBLNB
HR54

so, depending on what you want (on demand is available now) you will need either the RVU/c61k or the LNB AND RVU/c61k. the HR54 will NOT output 4k, but it is necessary.

Reactions: alnielsen
she was and wasnt. there are two methods of recieving 4k content.

ON Demand 4K requires:
HR34, 44, or 54

Live broadcast 4k (satellite feed):

RBLNB
HR54

so, depending on what you want (on demand is available now) you will need either the RVU/c61k or the LNB AND RVU/c61k. the HR54 will NOT output 4k, but it is necessary.

So I should be good to watch on demand right now but when the live broadcast starts to happen I'll need to purchase a RBLNB?

If you have an RVU-connected 4K TV you will get on demand with the HR54. When the live broadcast starts, you will need a reverse band LNB. But there may be deals for this, or even a free LNB, just wait and see what will be offered.
You will NOT get this type of info from a CSR because they are only talking to you about what is available at the moment, not what might happen in the future.

If you have an RVU-connected 4K TV you will get on demand with the HR54. When the live broadcast starts, you will need a reverse band LNB. But there may be deals for this, or even a free LNB, just wait and see what will be offered.
You will NOT get this type of info from a CSR because they are only talking to you about what is available at the moment, not what might happen in the future.

Thanks appreciate it. I do have a RVU tv but it will not be hooked up using the RVU feature. The CSR said all I had to do was hook up the HR54 to the 4K tv and I'd be good to go.

Thank you for the responses!

You won't get 4K (even on demand) unless you use a connected RVU TV or a C61K. The HR54 has no 4K capability of its own.

Reactions: alnielsen
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)