4K HDCP Errors (Hopper 3 and Joey 4K)

During the Olympics the error would disappear after 10-20 seconds, silly but I could live with that. Buy trying to watch NCAA football last week and this week, no way I could get it to go away. Live the up/down trick is not working and if recorded there's no way to do that. I have a couple year old LG OLED and quality cables from Monoprice. Seems it's a never ending Dish problem, though I'm pretty sour on any LG products these days - stupid defective EV batteries.

No problem watching 4K on channel 540-01 using Sony XBR-65X900E connected to my Hopper3. As usual color is less vivid on 540-01 than Fox 28-00.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
I get the HDCP error too, but it goes away after about 20 seconds, but like you dweber my 4k pic is not as good as the regular Fox broadcast at least in color vividness anyway, I guess its the compression or something

No problem watching 4K on channel 540-01 using Sony XBR-65X900E connected to my Hopper3. As usual color is less vivid on 540-01 than Fox 28-00.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

My Joey 4k keeps coming up with the 890 HDCP error when watching recordings. I’ve tried 2 cables and same thing. The channel up/down then recall key workaround above doesn’t work. The picture displays for about 20 seconds then the 890 error comes back. This TV was connected previously to the Hopper 3 and never had this issue, so I’m thinking it might be the Joey 4k. The installer commented the piece of hardware had been in the warehouse forever, whatever that means.

I’ll try to call tomorrow.

Reactions: charlesrshell
My Joey 4k keeps coming up with the 890 HDCP error when watching recordings. I’ve tried 2 cables and same thing. The channel up/down then recall key workaround above doesn’t work. The picture displays for about 20 seconds then the 890 error comes back. This TV was connected previously to the Hopper 3 and never had this issue, so I’m thinking it might be the Joey 4k. The installer commented the piece of hardware had been in the warehouse forever, whatever that means.

I’ll try to call tomorrow.
Interested in what they tell you. The person I spoke to didn't have a clue about what I was talking about, but that was awhile ago....

I did some more testing today. I brought the Joey 4K downstairs to our Sony 4K TV. Patched the wiring in, changing in the basement so the wiring from the relocated Joey4K went to the proper spot on the splitter in the basement.

No problems at all on the Sony 4K TV. Not one burp.

Moved back up to the LG Oled OLED65G6P. Error 890 reappeared. So the problem is the extremely expensive LG Oled tv, which purports to have HDCP 2.2 compatible HDMI ports. Really sucks.

I did some more testing today. I brought the Joey 4K downstairs to our Sony 4K TV. Patched the wiring in, changing in the basement so the wiring from the relocated Joey4K went to the proper spot on the splitter in the basement.

Moved back up to the LG Oled OLED65G6P. Error 890 reappeared. So the problem is the extremely expensive LG Oled tv, which purports to have HDCP 2.2 compatible HDMI ports. Really sucks.
Or could it be the cable to that LG OLEd or it's connections....

You c an set the diamond or double-diamond key, if you have a 52 or 54 series remote to open Game Finder. or like I have, go right to all your apps

Or could it be the cable to that LG OLEd or it's connections....
Good thought.

I’ve tried 2 different cables so far, directly from the Joey4 into multiple HDMI ports on the TV. I did see one more in my cable dumpster this afternoon, and I will definitely give that one a try.

Good thought.

I’ve tried 2 different cables so far, directly from the Joey4 into multiple HDMI ports on the TV. I did see one more in my cable dumpster this afternoon, and I will definitely give that one a try.
Actually I meant the coax going from the splitter/hub to the Joey at that LG location. If you had a coax with ends that could reach the two locations, even laying on the ground/ floor you could prove the existing coax.

Actually I meant the coax going from the splitter/hub to the Joey at that LG location
Thanks for the continued ideas.

Earlier today I did try that also. I have 2 RG/6 coax going to that area, one for the dish and one for OTA. I re-wired the OTA coax into the dish connection to test that wire. Unfortunately that didn’t fix the problem either.

Still haven’t figured it out….

The error screen clears in about 20 seconds or so. My complaint would be the washed out 4k picture, the colors are drab. The regular HD picture on the fox local looks better. Whats up with that?

The error screen clears in about 20 seconds or so. My complaint would be the washed out 4k picture, the colors are drab. The regular HD picture on the fox local looks better. Whats up with that?
On mine the sound comes back after about 2 minutes of displaying the 890 error. But the error continues to be displayed continuously with no picture after 10 minutes when I give up. I tried the “channel up” and back trick too.

• Wow
Reactions: Chuck Summers
Thanks for the continued ideas.

Earlier today I did try that also. I have 2 RG/6 coax going to that area, one for the dish and one for OTA. I re-wired the OTA coax into the dish connection to test that wire. Unfortunately that didn’t fix the problem either.

Still haven’t figured it out….
What's there to figure out? It's a software error, created by Dish and unfortunately not acknowledged by Dish either.....

I have a Sony Bravia TV and rarely have the problem. Since the problem occurs with certain TVs different manufacturers must be using different criteria for handshaking.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

It is a software issue and when I first spoke to Dish (way back at this point), I even pointed out which version of the software introduced the error. The fact that this is still an issue is crazy. I still get the error (on 2 different 4K setups) and then try a bunch of workarounds which typically fix for watching one show. If you want an interesting experience (but a waste of time), try calling Dish about it. :bounce

It is a software issue and when I first spoke to Dish (way back at this point), I even pointed out which version of the software introduced the error. The fact that this is still an issue is crazy. I still get the error (on 2 different 4K setups) and then try a bunch of workarounds which typically fix for watching one show. If you want an interesting experience (but a waste of time), try calling Dish about it. :bounce
I haven’t had time to call yet but will in a week or so. Thanks for sharing your experience with this.

4K Dish Message 890:
Hi everyone. I haven't posted here in ages! I left D* May 2018 and joined Dish within minutes after that! I have the Hopper 3 and one Joey in the MBR.
I have the Hopper 3 in the Home Theater room(den). My 4K viewing has been interrupted by the unpleasant 890 messages. Until last night I got around it by going to the dish guide and selecting 540-04(Olympic Channel 4K) followed by recalling 540-01 and the 4K viewing remained uninterrupted.
Last night that trick abandoned me and Dish messages 890 irritated me. To make the story short, in desperation, I went to the TV settings Control CEC devices and UNCHECKED e-ARC>>>BINGO-VOILA I got the 4K viewing back to stay. My TV is a TCL 55R625.

Reactions: TheKrell
I suppose it would depend if you had a 4K AVR between the TV and your 4K Joey and whether you were connected via the eARC HDMI interface on your TV.

I suppose it would depend if you had a 4K AVR between the TV and your 4K Joey and whether you were connected via the eARC HDMI interface on your TV.
Thanks for this info. I don’t have any devices in between my Joey 4K and the TV itself. I’ve tried 2 different HDMI cables.
I’m not sure what a eARC HDMI interface is - is that a special port on a TV? I looked at my TV manual and I don’t see any reference to eARC.
My TV is a LG OLED65G6P.
If I had an eARC port, is that what I should, or should not be using?

thank you