4K HDCP Errors (Hopper 3 and Joey 4K)

Hello, can you please clarify - is this setting on the Dish box or somewhere on the TV? I looked on the Joey 4K and found a setting for CeC on the Remote tab of the settings but it didn’t eliminate my error 890.
G AM:
I apologize, I was referring to the TCL 55R625 TV settings and it gets the satellite signal from the Hopper 3. Please keep in mind that 890 says something like your TV not having enough bandwidth for the HDCP 2.0(2.2?). That is why I went fishing into the TV settings>>>system>>>About>>>Control Other Devices(CEC)>>>Unchecked e-ARC.
I also tried that with the MBR 4K Joey and it did not work because the 4K TV is a budget 4K Insignia model. Again try the TV settings.
Good luck!

Okay, that wouldn’t help me either as my Hopper 3 is connected directly to my LG 55” C9 OLED through HDMI 1 and the HDMI 2 (with eARC) input goes to my AVR.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Okay, that wouldn’t help me either as my Hopper 3 is connected directly to my LG 55” C9 OLED through HDMI 1 and the HDMI 2 (with eARC) input goes to my AVR
Have you tried the "ARC rule?" ARC to ARC, from AVR ARC to TV ARC, that is how I got my TCL 55R625(HDMI 4) connected to my Onkyo TX-RZ820 AVR. I have the Hopper 3 connected to the AVR CBL/SAT HDMI input.
Please post your response as soon as you can.
Thanks

Have you tried the "ARC rule?" ARC to ARC, from AVR ARC to TV ARC, that is how I got my TCL 55R625(HDMI 4) connected to my Onkyo TX-RZ820 AVR. I have the Hopper 3 connected to the AVR CBL/SAT HDMI input.
Please post your response as soon as you can.
Thanks
Well, I’m not going to mess with my HT set up today. I have plans to revisit this towards then end of the year when I can get some time off from work. Sorry.

Thanks for this info. I don’t have any devices in between my Joey 4K and the TV itself. I’ve tried 2 different HDMI cables.
I’m not sure what a eARC HDMI interface is - is that a special port on a TV? I looked at my TV manual and I don’t see any reference to eARC.
My TV is a LG OLED65G6P.
If I had an eARC port, is that what I should, or should not be using?

thank you

eARC is a new standard that enhanced another standard called ARC. ARC stands for Audio Return Channel and is designed to send audio from the TV back to a receiver or sound bar so you don't need a dedicated audio cable such as an optical cable to go from the TV to your soundbar/receiver. Both features would be something used via the HDMI ports on your TV so it's not a special port; it's just a feature of the HDMI ports on the TV. Doing a quick search on your TV model number it looks like it came out back around 2016. The original ARC spec has been around since something like 2009 so it's likely your TV supports it, although I didn't see anything specifically saying that in looking at your TV. I think eARC came out a couple years after your TV so I doubt it would support eARC.

Just started watching the World Series. HDCP error immediately upon selecting 540-01. Pulled up the guide and selected 540-02. Comes up and says not available. Pull the guide back up and select 540-01 again. Works fine. Wish Dish would finally fix. Charlie must not watch 4K content…

Reactions: TheKrell
Just started watching the World Series. HDCP error immediately upon selecting 540-01. Pulled up the guide and selected 540-02. Comes up and says not available. Pull the guide back up and select 540-01 again. Works fine. Wish Dish would finally fix. Charlie must not watch 4K content…
I got the "old faithful" 890 error as well. I solved the problem by going to the guide, but a little different. I chose 540-04(Olympic Channel)>>>entered 540 and had steady 4K viewing since.

Thanks for this info. I don’t have any devices in between my Joey 4K and the TV itself. I’ve tried 2 different HDMI cables.
I’m not sure what a eARC HDMI interface is - is that a special port on a TV? I looked at my TV manual and I don’t see any reference to eARC.
My TV is a LG OLED65G6P.
If I had an eARC port, is that what I should, or should not be using?

thank you
Check:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkqCPvlf0Y4

I hope it helps.
Good luck

Yeah, you're unfortunately not likely to find a fix for this...

Spoke on another thread about this, unfortunately the only thing I have found works is a different receiver... until Dish decides to fix the issue, as far as I know, nothing else will fix it.

If you do somehow fin d a fix though, please share it here.

Sometimes, I am good with analogies. Here we go. We are all firefighters trying to extinguish the 890 fire. ALL poetry aside, believe it or not, Dish reads this forum thread and others.
I ask again to share what works and what does not. Let the Dish engineers digest it.
I hope that was short, sweet, and to the point.
Thanks

I have a Sony Bravia TV and rarely have the problem. Since the problem occurs with certain TVs different manufacturers must be using different criteria for handshaking.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I get the "Handshake" error every so often out of the blue when watching HD programming. Or when trying Prime the picture will reset a couple times trying to get a lock. I take that cable and hook it up to my AppleTV 4K and run a check. It's ruthless. And the cables come out clean.

I have all Samsungs and their major problem is that they don't play well with "Streaming Dongles", such as, the Amazon Firestick. That was until I needed to split outputs to TVs that were close to each other and are always showing the same programming. The splitters have a switch to dictate the EDID, either the TV on input 1 or the EDID created by the splitter. I have discovered that when the Samsungs get the EDID from another source there are no problems with using Firesticks and the like.

I've been dealing with this same HDCP issue (1559) for well over a year. Prior to that, I was able to record and watch 4K on my Hopper 3. Then something happened, I assume a software update, and from that point forward I can watch for perhaps 30 seconds and then the error screen appears. I called support several times and always got the same runaround... reset receiver, check cables, and so on. I finally took a vacation day a couple weeks ago so I could call one last time in an attempt to get to the bottom of it. Sorry to say, I wasted one of my valuable vacation days. In the end, after perhaps 45 minutes on the phone, the tech checked with an upper level tech and the response was, "it's a known issue and they are working on it". At this point, I don't think anyone is working on it and am not expecting a solution.

For what it's worth, I have fully compliant 4K components, HDMI cables, and a fiber optic HDMI cable going from my Marantz receiver to my BenQ HT3550 projector. I have a PS5 (got lucky), a Sony 4K UHD Blu-ray player, a Nvidia Shield TV Pro, and a Roku 4K streaming stick which all play 4K flawlessly through my projector. Only the Hopper 3 won't play 4K like it should.

I only have relatively slow DSL internet and am on the waiting list for Starlink internet. I am so looking forward to fast internet with Starlink. That will open up multiple TV programming possibilities if you know what I mean. Dish has done nothing to make me feel like a valued customer even though I've been with them for over 12 years.

This is happening again with my Joey4K. None of the tricks work for this setup. Switched to ATV4K (YouTube TV) and the 4K game came right up with zero issues. Wish Dish would get their act together.

I just bought a low end 4k tcl. I had a hopper 3 so I was ready for 4k. I have been receiving this error message from the begging of trying 4k. I figured out the trick of going to another channel then back. Now the colors were washed out. I called Dish and I was told to turn the tv off and on. The sound came on and I re seeded the hdmi cable that is new and a 4k monster cable. The error went away and the game looked great in 4k. I wanted to see if re seeding fixed it so I hard reset the tv and error came back. Re seeding didn't work this time so i was told to reset receiver. This worked this time. They sent a trouble report to see if it can be corrected on dish s end. It's a quirky thing. We will see after I shut everything down again. I turned off tv and back on and no error.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)