4K Installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

MUSKOKAN

Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
FORT PIERCE FLORIDA
Is there something complex about the installation of the Directv 4K hardware. They will not send it to me as they say it needs professional installation, however I can buy the same equipment from a dealer like Solid signal so just wondering if I can install it myself. I do not like these guys in my house!

Is there something complex about the installation of the Directv 4K hardware. They will not send it to me as they say it needs professional installation, however I can buy the same equipment from a dealer like Solid signal so just wondering if I can install it myself. I do not like these guys in my house!
Think I have read here its company policy?.....You would also need the right package, and the LNB also....I havent heard of anyone doing there own install.....Im sure you will get a even more clear answer than mine.

Yep, LNB needs to get swapped, as well as any switches that may need to get replaced. The install itself requires an HR54 with pairing to a client. It's basically a brand new install.

they also want to verify there is a 4k tv, and not someone saying so to get the latest equipment

Reactions: AZ.
they also want to verify there is a 4k tv, and not someone saying so to get the latest equipment
They required pro install when we went with a Genie with wireless mini. They wanted to be sure the Wireless Video Bridge was installed correctly (this was 2+ years ago).

Ours wasn't complicated by any means; they're confirming setup without risking another truck roll (that's how I see it).

I did my own through solid signal with no problem and then bought a c61 and hooked it up to with no problem!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

afaik, any new genie equipment requires a truck roll per D*. 4k broadcast is currently NOT comming from 99CR so you dont need the LNB, that is simply future proofing. plus you need to have ultimate or premium to view the 4k channels.

The tech could care less if you have a 4K Tv or not. As long as he can get the equipment to work with your Tv so he doesn't have to modify the work order.

The thing about the 4K genies is that there is only HDMI.

NO COMPOSITE VIDEO, NO COMPONENT VIDEO, NO COAX VIDEO.

The tech could care less if you have a 4K Tv or not. As long as he can get the equipment to work with your Tv so he doesn't have to modify the work order.

The thing about the 4K genies is that there is only HDMI.

NO COMPOSITE VIDEO, NO COMPONENT VIDEO, NO COAX VIDEO.

maybe your techs... with the derth of AV receivers capable of actually passing the 4k signal through its a service call waiting to happen.

The hr44 has a power inserter, the hr54 does not. Also, the hr54 CANNOT be at the TVwith 4k, the c61 is. So, the upgrade requires removing the power inserter, swapping lines at the splitter to make sure the hr54 is on the DC pass through.
There is also a lnb upgrade. Some might call this complicated, but not really.

Directv wants a tech to do it becauses if something goes wrong the tech has to go back at THEIR time and expense to fix it, or get charged back and do the job for free. If the customer does it wrong, they call directv on the phone and that comes at directv's time and expense.

They also want the tech to make sure it's hooked up to the Internet so they can track you so you're not sharing equipment with someone else at a different address. If you don'thave internet, fine. But if you DO and the tech ddoesn't hook it up, tthat's ANOTHER charge back to the tech if they find out.

everytime a tech goes to your house and ANYTHING goes wrong in the next 30 days, the tech loses most or all the money for the job even if it's bad eequipmentt or customer caused.

meanwhile, directv either charges you for the service call, or gets a new 2 year commitment for the "free" upgrade, so they basically cant lose.

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread as I am getting a 4k genie and a genie mini installed today. My initial plan was just to add another receiver for a "mancave" type setup. I currently have:

HR 24-100 (Master bedroom)
HR 34 - 700 (living room)
They told me I could get a new genie with 4k and a genie mini for free which I decided to go with. They told me they needed to swap out the HR 34 since you can't have 2 genies in the same system and I'm guessing this may have to do with the tuner limit that one poster mentioned?? I honestly didn't realize I had a "genie" already. Back when I got the HR34, they were calling it something like Home Media Center.

I really don't care about the 4k until they start broadcasting ESPN and other sports channels in 4k. I have two roku 4s that I use for 4k content.

Somone also mentioned the HR 54 can't be with the tv with 4k. That is interesting because I have a 4k in the living room which is where the original genie was installed. My second 4k tv is in the "mancave" type of room and I was planning of just getting the genie mini installed there.

I'm also concerned if they will need to swap out the LNB to a newer one because I currently take my HR24 and 34 out of town with me for tailgating purposes since I have another dish permanently mounted at the tailgate location. If I need a newer LNB at home, I'll need one there to so hopefully the install guy can give me an extra LNB?

I currently have the Xtra package and they told me that I had to get ultimate or premier to even activate the new genie which I find odd. They told me I could change that package immediately after the activation back to Xtra. Does anyone think that is possible? I don't really watch much programming via directv. I watch netflix/amazon and other apps via roku so I definitely don't need to upgrade my package.

I'm guessing that I'm not getting the wireless genie mini but wonder if I could still get that instead of the normal mini. Questions about equipment:

1) Is the HR54 noticeably faster than the HR34? (the guide especially). It drives me nuts how slow the HR34 is.
2) If I can switch to the wireless genie mini instead of the normal genie mini, should I do that? I wonder if there is a delay in the signal with the wireless option.

Anything else I should know about the new genie install up front? If the install guy runs new coax, I may ask if he can run an ethernet cable to the same room since I want to install a second router.

I probably should have started separate threads so sorry about the long post.

if your getting a 4k upgrade you will have to get a c61k mini, it is the only way to get 4k(other than rvu)

the new lnb will eventually be needed for 4k, but not yet, so your lnb at the tailgate will work for now. solid signal and others sell the reverse band lnb's, and no the installer wont just give you an extra.

if your getting a 4k upgrade you will have to get a c61k mini, it is the only way to get 4k(other than rvu)

the new lnb will eventually be needed for 4k, but not yet, so your lnb at the tailgate will work for now. solid signal and others sell the reverse band lnb's, and no the installer wont just give you an extra.
Yep they came already and put in a reverse LNB. Also confirmed what you said that I won't need a new lnb for the tailgate unless I wanted 4k. I'm in love with the 54 and mini.. so much faster than other models

Yep they came already and put in rse LNB. Also confirmed what you said that I won't need a new lnb for the tailgate unless I wanted 4k. I'm in love with the 54 and mini.. so much faster than other models
Yea. The hr54 is way faster than hr34 and has more storage, if you keep the hr24, thats fine since you have the reverse band. The hr24 is a hddvr, the hr34 a genie, so it gets replaced and any clients, or genie minis get synced now to the hr54. However, all of your recordings from hr24+hr54 are viewable from the same list. There is no 4k capable wireless mini, and while the hr54 does the 4k transponder bonding,, only the c61k can view it. Yes, an rvu will too, but they are slow. Every 4k job I get that has rvu i change the work order to c61k, it costs the customer nothing and it keeps me from doing a truck roll. If you only have a 2 box install, then you would lose both hr34 AND hr24 to get 4k on one of your tvs, so Iwould suggest paying the extra 7 dollars a month to go to a 3 box setup, so you can use the hr24 for tailgating. A tech won'tcare if yyouddon'thave three tvs, they will simply unhook the hr24 to activate the genie mini.

They WILL care if you only have one tv, because then they ccan'tfinish the job. When you try to switch inputs on a tTV to activate a second box on the same tv, the manage clients menu closes and errors out

They WILL care if you only have one tv, because then they ccan'tfinish the job. When you try to switch inputs on a tTV to activate a second box on the same tv, the manage clients menu closes and errors out

not if you know how to program the RC7X remotes ;). some people only HAVE one TV and want 4k, so knowing how to do it makes life easier.

since you're a tech heres how to do it

step 1: power on only mini
step 2: wait for "no server detected" screen"
step 3: get remote for mini and press/hold mute+enter (not select)
step 4: wait about 5-10 seconds. remote is now programmed for mini
step 5: turn off mini
step 6: turn on genie, software download, activate as normal
step 7: program remote
step 8: add client
step 9: now your client remote wont close out the PIN screen on the genie when you press select to add receiver

The hr44 has a power inserter, the hr54 does not.<snip> . So, the upgrade requires removing the power inserter, swapping lines at the splitter to make sure the hr54 is on the DC pass through.

There is also a lnb upgrade. Some might call this complicated, but not really.

the LNB upgrade doesnt pop up on every work order (some upgrades anyway), so it may not get done.

as for the power inserter, you can disable the built in power inserter of the H44 and HR54 by putting the line on the non-power passing side of the splitter. as far as i know this is a one way process because i havent found a way to turn it back on yet. but this is good for installs where the run between the genie and splitter is 1) very long or 2) CCS from pre-wire.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts