4K UHD PPV coming Nov 14th

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nothing like that in my sources.. but only time will tell.

And since today was national launch I doubt anyone had it activated yet. Not many regions do same day appointments.

Had 1 today, not me personally but another tech. We do same day in the Indi DMA. As for the dedicated channel, according to my source, which is a directv employee, yes, there will be at least 1 dedicated channel to 4k some time next year however it will require 2 tuners to relieve the content.

Had 1 today, not me personally but another tech. We do same day in the Indi DMA. As for the dedicated channel, according to my source, which is a directv employee, yes, there will be at least 1 dedicated channel to 4k some time next year however it will require 2 tuners to relieve the content.
I figured eventually they would have a channel dedicated to 4K, much like they did with the 3D stuff.

I've heard that to setup RVU TV for the first time, you'll need BB Deca and then can change to ethernet directly to TV
Not sure if it's a supported method since it won't be hooked up to Deca, as a ethernet run to TV from router is not an issue

Of course I'm not contemplating in getting 4k TV to try it as RVU
I was just thinking of a way to do it without it being professionally installed.

I know Directv need the model number,latest TV firmware update and probably serial number, and add it as TV client with a code of some sort.

Argue TV is basically a client so you'll need a software download the firmware and Genie system and also the pin number for that but it is possible and it must be a Samsung I believe and 900 series or better what I resent what other models but it's probably a model above that too

Two tuners? Fascinating.

Wow, yeah I guess they need 2 tuners to hit the bitrate needed for UHD at MPEG4. I guess once a receiver comes out that has real time HEVC decoding and DVB-S2X, they should be able to fit the UHD bitrate down to a fraction of a transponder again, like HD.

Yes sony was the launch partner. Samsung was added quickly thereafter. Toshiba was added this past year.
Sony was NOT a launch partner. DIRECTV started supporting Sony RVU TVs in December 2013.
Samsung was one of the "founding promoters" of the RVU Alliance along with Broadcom, Cisco, DIRECTV and Verizon. Apparently Verizon has pulled their support as they're no longer listed.

Toshiba is a "promoter".

LG, Panasonic, Sharp and Sony are "contributors". Of these, Sony offers only one 2014 RVU HD TV, the KDL-60R510A that was approved in May, and Toshiba offers one 2014 RVU HD model, the 55L7400U that was approved in June. The manuals for neither TV make mention of DIRECTV nor RVU. Sony's RVU support article doesn't mention the 60R510A.

As of this posting, the RVU Alliance lists NO approved 4K RVU TVs so perhaps DIRECTV has chosen to end-run the Alliance and make their own "DIRECTV 4K Ready" standard. Then again, after Verizon and Echostar pulled out, I suppose DIRECTV is left in the driver's seat.

Wow, yeah I guess they need 2 tuners to hit the bitrate needed for UHD at MPEG4.
If they can fix six HD channels on a transponder, they can fit one UHD channel and a couple of HD channels (in theory).

Of course the initial deployment is DoD so linear channel bandwidth isn't an issue.

Sony was NOT a launch partner. DIRECTV started supporting Sony RVU TVs in December 2013.
Samsung was one of the "founding promoters" of the RVU Alliance along with Broadcom, Cisco, DIRECTV and Verizon. Apparently Verizon has pulled their support as they're no longer listed.

Toshiba is a "promoter".

LG, Panasonic, Sharp and Sony are "contributors". Of these, Sony offers only one 2014 RVU HD TV, the KDL-60R510A that was approved in May, and Toshiba offers one 2014 RVU HD model, the 55L7400U that was approved in June. The manuals for neither TV make mention of DIRECTV nor RVU. Sony's RVU support article doesn't mention the 60R510A.

As of this posting, the RVU Alliance lists NO approved 4K RVU TVs so perhaps DIRECTV has chosen to end-run the Alliance and make their own "DIRECTV 4K Ready" standard. Then again, after Verizon and Echostar pulled out, I suppose DIRECTV is left in the driver's seat.
Wow.. i did not know that...

So I guess I'm SOL with my Sony 65X900B. *thppt*

Only Netflix's limited 4K content for now... until Amazon Prime gets its 4K streaming content going.

I'm getting flashbacks of buying HD-DVD the first weekend it came out in April of 2006. I think there were 4 titles available.

All this talk, again has anyone actually tried it out and can report on the picture quality?
Consider all that conditions that must be met:

One of two model levels of 2014 Samsung UHD TV with latest firmware professionally installed as an RVU client (arguably not the preferred configuration for full Genie experience)
DIRECTV subscription with Genie
Someone who sits no more than a few feet from the TV
Registered on SatelliteGuys

I've seen this canard trotted about by naysayers of 4K, and frankly it gets annoying after a while... it's similar to those who poohpoohed HD when it first came out. I sit 10 feet from my 65" 4K tv, and on House of Cards or The Black List in 4K, there most definitely is a visible difference in 4K over 1080P.

As with anything else, YMMV with respect to your eyeseight and the content in question, but this notion that in order to gain any benefit from 4K you have to be sitting within a few feet of your TV is blatantly FALSE.

Reactions: Jimbo
I am hopefull that 4k catches on. Even if you dont have 4k and the IRD is capable of down converting the signal to 1080P, the pq improvement should be noticeable across all platforms. I wish that they will allow for that even if you dont have 4k.

One of two model levels of 2014 Samsung UHD TV with latest firmware professionally installed as an RVU client (arguably not the preferred configuration for full Genie experience)

I figured given the techie nature of the satelliteguys.us members someone would be ready to test it out on release day. I hope it is very successful and DIRECTV manages to inspire the rest of the industry to add 4k as a normal programming item, like HD has become.

OK let's talk about this....

All 2014 samsung 4k tvs are certified directv ready at this time... and i doubt that they would make one that isnt. So it's all not two.

Professionally installed as an rvu client. I agree with you here.. but there are no other options at this time. And there won't be until we release a new ird with hdmi 2.0.

Directv subscription with genie...

If you don't have a directv subscription... well stop complaining about how directv handles 4k. As far as the genie goes... since 4k is vod it requires a dvr.. and for new customers the only thing holding them back from a genie vs a combo is the credit check and you could just pay the deposit.. after all you do have the money to purchase a brand new 4k tv. What's another 100 bucks for the genie. If your an existing customer the same argument applies... if you can afford the tv you can afford whatever dtv charges you for the upgrade.. still not with me. That's fine we can argue the points of hd dvr vs genie in another thread.

And I'm not gonna touch the 10ft thing with a 39 and a half foot pole... tis the season..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts