4x8 multiswitch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

elvisnh

Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Hey guys, great forum!

I have learned that the 3x4 multiswitch I purchased will not work with my oval dish. :mad: Should of read the forums here first! Oh well, live and learn.

What I am trying to do is get another line to my R15 DVR.

Here's my question:

If I purchase a 4x8 multiswitch, do I have to connect all 4 inputs to use it? I know it would be a waste of a 4x8 switch, but all I want to do is split the one line coming into the room and have two outputs.

The reason for this is I would basically have to re-wire my entire house if I have to install all 4 lnb lines to the inputs.

Thanks!

Elvisnh

connect all four coax from the dish to ALL 4 inputs of the 4X8 .....youll be fine.

That's exactly what I don't want to do. To hook up all the 4 inputs, I will need to go to the side of the house, mount the switch outside, re-wire the dish, run another line into the house...etc.

If I can use just the one input it would be a heck of a lot easier.

Thanks!

You can't split the single line and get two outputs for the R15, you need 2 lines from the dish to the back of the receiver. The directv system relies on voltage switching to select the signal sent to the tuners. 12 Volts selects 1 polarity 18 volts selects the other so a minimum of two lines is needed.

boba said:
You can't split the single line and get two outputs for the R15, you need 2 lines from the dish to the back of the receiver. The directv system relies on voltage switching to select the signal sent to the tuners. 12 Volts selects 1 polarity 18 volts selects the other so a minimum of two lines is needed.

I realize that, hence the need for a 4x8 multi-switch. That would give me the extra line to go to the back of the receiver. The question breaks down to this:

Does the 1st input to the 4x8 go to outputs 1&2.

In other words does:

1 in = 1 & 2 out
2 in = 3 & 4 out
3 in = 5 & 6 out
4 in = 7 & 8 out

If that is the case, I should be able to just use that 1st input with the unit plugged in for power and use the 1&2 outputs to go to the R15.

Or does the unit need all 4 inputs connected?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)