4x8 multiswitch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elvisnh

Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Hey guys, great forum!

I have learned that the 3x4 multiswitch I purchased will not work with my oval dish. :mad: Should of read the forums here first! Oh well, live and learn.

What I am trying to do is get another line to my R15 DVR.

Here's my question:

If I purchase a 4x8 multiswitch, do I have to connect all 4 inputs to use it? I know it would be a waste of a 4x8 switch, but all I want to do is split the one line coming into the room and have two outputs.

The reason for this is I would basically have to re-wire my entire house if I have to install all 4 lnb lines to the inputs.

Thanks!

Elvisnh

connect all four coax from the dish to ALL 4 inputs of the 4X8 .....youll be fine.

That's exactly what I don't want to do. To hook up all the 4 inputs, I will need to go to the side of the house, mount the switch outside, re-wire the dish, run another line into the house...etc.

If I can use just the one input it would be a heck of a lot easier.

Thanks!

You can't split the single line and get two outputs for the R15, you need 2 lines from the dish to the back of the receiver. The directv system relies on voltage switching to select the signal sent to the tuners. 12 Volts selects 1 polarity 18 volts selects the other so a minimum of two lines is needed.

boba said:
You can't split the single line and get two outputs for the R15, you need 2 lines from the dish to the back of the receiver. The directv system relies on voltage switching to select the signal sent to the tuners. 12 Volts selects 1 polarity 18 volts selects the other so a minimum of two lines is needed.

I realize that, hence the need for a 4x8 multi-switch. That would give me the extra line to go to the back of the receiver. The question breaks down to this:

Does the 1st input to the 4x8 go to outputs 1&2.

In other words does:

1 in = 1 & 2 out
2 in = 3 & 4 out
3 in = 5 & 6 out
4 in = 7 & 8 out

If that is the case, I should be able to just use that 1st input with the unit plugged in for power and use the 1&2 outputs to go to the R15.

Or does the unit need all 4 inputs connected?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)