5/9/06 at 10am - First Quarter 2006 Earnings Teleconference

I wish there was a way we could get somebody that has access to the q&a session to ask some serious questions. Like why all the double talk, about the voom channels. In previous calls they said there was more then enough bandwidth to carry all 21, then it the last call they said it was a bandwidth issue and maybe by the end of the year. Also if bandwidth wasnt a issue why goto switched video??

-IO added 160K subs.
-More Optimum Boost upgrades next month
-396K HD customers
-TRial for Remote DVR in the Next Month.

Yeah, nothing on VOOM HD coming yet! So much for HD coming with switched video :( Hope some of these callers ask some harder questions, but doubt it.

cforrest said:
Yeah, nothing on VOOM HD coming yet! So much for HD coming with switched video :( Hope some of these callers ask some harder questions, but doubt it.

hope someone asks about voom as well

Very strange response as someone asked about the capacity storage of the network dvr and the answer was the same as the current DVR. This could mean that there could be an extra fee for more capacity if customers choose to. But why would customers do this when one can buy an extra HD and be done with it. If they are not going to provide extra capacity, I do not see how this network dvr is an improvement over the current DVR.

When asked about the Echostar/Tivo case in which Tivo has initially won. The response was we are not familiar with the case and can't answer. Are you kidding me? Why are you not? Don't you think this could affect your dvr as well?

Well no VOOM HD coming, kept pumping up Echostar, since they own 20% of VOOM.

On N-DVR, seems CV may want to charge the same as they currently do for a DVR box, yet the cost to CV is lower, thus they get fatter pockets. Tom did say it should mean lower cost to the subscriber, but I'll believe it when I see it. Also storage seems to be 80 GB only at this time, sidestepped the latency issue ala VOD and time programs can be stored on the space available, whether for life of account or smaller timeframe.

Sean I am with you on the storage, if Tivo Series 3 comes out before this gets rolling, CV is going to have a hard time getting people to opt for their N-DVR IMO.

And on the TIVO lawsuit and Tom being clueless, that was classic.

cforrest said:

it was classic like when i went to the hempstead town meeting to approve fios and the lawyer from cablevision didnt know that cablevision asked for certain terms from the town then said it was unfair that verizon was getting better terms. When a member of the board called him out on it saying cvc asked for the franchise payments to be paid monthly, the lawyers repsonse was I dont think so because this is the only area we pay monthly. The board member stated cvc requested it that way to get a lower interest rate on the debt owed to the county

I thought that I heard wrong about the 80GB space on the network dvr but I was not wrong. This completly underestimate the market as 80GB does not give you a whole lot for HD recording.

More from Q/A:
Switch video test was done in paterson. It is complete. They will be providing a 60 channel switch broadcast service primarily comprised of foreign language.
Switch video allows you to re-use the space. We have the ability to broadcast every service on earth to our customer using switch video.
Penetration of FIOSTV (in LI) is only 2% according to Tom. CV very skeptical about FIOS number.
Storage of Network DVR is less expensive than individual DVR. The other advantage is that you do not have to do a physical transaction. It is an electronic transaction to an existing box. There is no appt necessary or labor.
No Voom revenue breakdown as Echostart is going through the MPEG-4 transaction. We will have those numbers in a couple of months.

Have they ever confirmed that this N-DVR will handle HD? 80GB is nothing for HD, that's only about 12 hours.

I know that those foreign channels are cash cows for them, but how about giving us americans more HD with switched video.

the n-dvr is supposed to handle hd, they are testing with 80GB but once release will have more room

cforrest said:
Sean I am with you on the storage, if Tivo Series 3 comes out before this gets rolling, CV is going to have a hard time getting people to opt for their N-DVR IMO.

Do they seriously belive anyone believes they haven't been following something that will have direct implications on there current and NDVR? But then again CV has been know to implement the head in the sand technique hoping problems will just work them selves out like they did in the OLN case, so maybe they haven't been following it.

On another note the digital penetration is up to 70% which it very impressive. I seriously don't see why they can't start turning off more analogs now. At least all the premiums and a few family cable channels should be moved to digital to make room for more HD and there NDVR by the end of this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)