$5.99 vs $7.99 - Protection Plan

Status
Please reply by conversation.
From what I was told by a DirecTV CSR is that the $7.99 charge was for customer owned DirecTV equipment. The $5.99 charge is for DirecTV leased equipment.

Hello all...

Does anyone know the differences between the two plans? I currently subscribe to the $5.99/month plan and NOW when I log-in to DirecTV.com, it says for "full" protection get the $7.99/month plan.

I cannot find any information on this $7.99 plan anywhere on D*'s website. All I was able to pull up was this information on the $5.99/month plan:

DIRECTV - PROTECTION PLAN

I know that the protection plan is just a way for them to make a butt-load of money anyways, but I like to have it myself because I am not good with electronics.

Thank you in advance for your help and input...

Thanks bud! Ya...I just wanted to be clear on certain things before I drop the insurance.

Sorry...one more quick question: Say if for example I have a message error on my screen (771...etc...). Do they charge you for those kind of problems too?

Thanks again!

You're only going to get charged a service call if they send someone to your house to troubleshoot/fix. So if you have a 771 (which could be a number of things including the dish being out of alignment) and you can't get it fixed over the phone and you have them send someone out then it's a service call.

So think about how many of those you think you might have in a year. If it's more then one then the protection plan will be the cheaper route to go for you. For me, in 12 years I've only had a service tech out once and that was to replace my dish and switch with the new 5 LNB one and that was all free as part of the upgrade. Not to say I haven't had problems that could have required a tech, but I do all my own work and buy my own equipment/replacements as needed (other then leased receivers of course). Over the years I've saved money by doing it myself. But then I rarely have any problems.

You guys are forgetting that the protection plan will protect you from extending your contract for an additional 2 years if your leased receiver broke down and they have to replace it. I did not have the protection plan. Then my receiver broke down. There was no power on it. It was dead. After I call them they told me that they will replace it for free and only thing I had to pay was 20$ shipping. And that’s what I did. After few mounts I found out that they extend my contract for replacing my receiver with the same one. There was no upgrade. Since then I always keep my protection plan until I finish with the contract. After that I will definitely cancel the plan because I will have more room to negotiate if something goes wrong with my equipment. If they don’t want to replace it I will just cancel the service.

Most cases its not worth it IMO. If you have some knowledge on the service save your money. If you don't know a thing about satellite and you 80 years old , Buy it. But most times D* will send you a replacement receiver for the cost of shipping anyhow. about $20.

In my case I've set up multiple systems my self... but I'm not renting in a 2-story house, so I keep the plan just to keep my sorry butt from having to climb up on the roof! :)

The 5.99 protection plan just got different looking under my "setup" tab at Directv.com

I see these 2 lines under the protection plan section:

$5.99
Advanced Product $7.99 Monthly

The 5.99 is bold, and the 7.99 one is lighter and smaller. I just paid my bill and it was 5.99. So what gives with the website?

The 5.99 protection plan just got different looking under my "setup" tab at Directv.com

I see these 2 lines under the protection plan section:

$5.99
Advanced Product $7.99 Monthly

The 5.99 is bold, and the 7.99 one is lighter and smaller. I just paid my bill and it was 5.99. So what gives with the website?

Ya...this is the issue I had and why I originally started this thread. Apparently, it's a computer glich and there is no $7.99 plan.

Ya...this is the issue I had and why I originally started this thread. Apparently, it's a computer glich and there is no $7.99 plan.

Strange that it would show up like that if this is some glitch. Also, as of this date, it's been there 6 days for D to correct if an error. It wasn't on there until after my last billing cycle went through. Now for this billing cycle it's there. Seems possible to me that D increased the protection price $2.00 for all of us HD people.:confused:

I am getting Directv installed on 10/30. When I was with Dishnetwork I did the Digital Home plan which is the same thing as $5.99. In my time with Dish I had two DVR's die and a wiring issue. I seem to have a issue with dying DVR's. Charter has replaced my DVR 4 times in as many years. Reading everything tells me that I am best suited to get it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)