5' B.u.d.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sikma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Dish Farm Up North
Well, I finally got back into c-band (sort of). I got myself a free 5-foot mesh from a guy that wanted to get rid of it so he could use his pole for a flag. Unfortunately it only has a az/el mount and a 35-degree lnb on it.

Until I can get ahold of PSB and get me one of those new c/ku lnbf's and a polar mount I'm stuck running back and forth making adjustments. Last night I had a few minutes and was able to get signals on AMC4 and G4 (apparently both at the same time?). I'm assuming because the dish is so small adjacents sats. interfere with each other. I did get a watchable signal on both sats. however only a 20 on the 'nets.' I hope when I get my BSC621 I'll get better results. I'm also curious how well the 5-footer will do on the ku side.

I get adjacent birds on my dish too for c-band. G4/AMC 4 & IA 5/G4 are that way. Ku will be great on a 5 footer. You will get 99.9% of the feeds

Sikma
On my 6 foot dish I get adjacent stuff too. I can get AMC4/AMC1 at the same time and right now I get a 90 on the G4 nets and 60 on KCSG (i/pax/americaone) at the same time :D Also on IA5 I get a lot of those feeds o G3 (but only 10 quality)

Since its mesh you may have issues with KU. I know PSB has had some issues with KU.

I know with the G4 nets, skew is critical

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a bsc621 from Pete........if all goes well, the next step will be to try and retro-fit a polar mount from a 10' to my 5' ??!!

Many kudos to PSB. I just got my bsc621, I hope it works as advertised. I also may have come upon a 4' Channel Master offset dish. If I can get my hands on it, I'll do a comparison between that and my 5' mesh. I'm hoping the 4' solid will do as good, or better job as I already have a polar mount and diseqc actuator for that.

Last edited:
If any one out there is looking for a polar mount for a 5.0" or 5.9 " KTI mash dish i have one for sale

DK

I had a few minutes last night to replace my 35-degree c-band lnb with my new bsc621 on my 5' mesh. Unfortunately, I got better results on the c-band side with the old 35-degree. I at least got a 15 signal on the 'nets' on G4, but with the bsc I can't seem to get any signal at all. So far, all I'm getting on c-band is a few scrambled channels on AMC4. I was able to get a 75 signal on FOX-Beaumont on the ku side, but so far my c-band results stink!

I will continue to experiment this week....anyone have any theories as to why I get a better c-band signal with a 35-degree vs. a 13-degree?

you have to manually skew the LNB. I know with mine I had to turn it 90 degrees THEN skew like normal.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'skew like normal.' There was an arrow stamped into the outside of the c/ku lnbf that I ended up putting it at the 6 o'clock position to get the best results on the ku side....is there anything else to it Ice ? Also, whats the piece of plexi for that came with the lnb ?

on the outside of the LNB(by the coax) there is a 0 spot which normally should be lined up at 0 (or 6:00) but something is goofy at least on my 421 LNB that I have to turn it to 9:00 then skew (my polarity was wrong)

sikma said:
Also, whats the piece of plexi for that came with the lnb ?
Not sure, but I believe I read in another thread on the BSC 621, that it's a dieelectric plate to be able to receive circular signals on the C-band side.

Al

sikma said:
How do you skew, I thought by rotating the lnb that was skewing it?
correct
But in a KU world, most LNB's have the 0 at the top and you skew from there. the problem with the 421 C-band LNB I have is if I skew it like that, the polarity is wrong (vertical shows up as H and vise versa).

If I put the "0" of the LNB to 3:00 or 9:00 then skewed from there ti worked fine :)

THanks again Ice, maybe that's my problem, I'm trying to pick up the 'nets' and maybe I need to run a blind scan because I had manally entered the freq. etc.. for the nets using the polarity listed on Lyngsat.

thats what I did when I was aiming for G4.

If you have an analog box, try and hone in on the church channels on TP15 & 16. They are VERY strong. Then fine tune from there

Well I finally got a signal on G4 with my 5' mesh. I was able to get a 75 signal on the 'nets' and the religious analog channels came in without sparklies, also at the same position I can get a 45 signal on KCSG!!! I'm happy, but still have to rig up a polar mount and motor for it. I'm still hoping I can get my hands on a 4' solid offset I found at a local car dealership.

Iceberg, has you try point your 6 footer to G10 ? and how it come out. I am trying to set up a new 6 footer mesh or solid sectioned at ground level with the new C/KU LNBF, getting a permit is no problem but need to do it after my heart caltheterization treatment, I most interesting in C band is the out door channels and those ku local channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.