5 Degrees of 500 for Vooming

scottcorinna

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
West Linn, OR
Attempted to dial in an old Dish 500 to 61.5 using a single LNB mounted on the 110 side of the Y adaptor.

I'm in the Portland, OR area so my look angle is only 12 degrees. I've had 61.5 dialed in before when all the HD channels where there, although I was using a Dish 300 then, so I knew that I could get it.

Well... my first attempt failed but then I remembered that some of the early Dish 500s had to be adjusted up 5 degrees to compensate for bad markings on the side. Once I made the adjustment "bingo".

I'm Vooming.

And it only took two calls to get activated.

Wow, how old was that 500? I'm curious cause I just got ahold an old 500 dish for 61.5 (doesn't even say Dish500 on it, but it is 20 inches across) and I had no problem other than the markings on the side were harder to read than I thought, so I got out my speed square to do the elevation correctly.

scottcorinna said:
Well... my first attempt failed but then I remembered that some of the early Dish 500s had to be adjusted up 5 degrees to compensate for bad markings on the side. Once I made the adjustment "bingo".

THanks for posting that. I thought I was nuts for a while there trying to get a signal on my old 500. I spent at least an hour and went through 3 old LBNF's I had laying around... 5 degrees up and I had a signal in 30 seconds.

NOHDjunkie

My pleasure. I thought I had a bad cable at first but all is well.

SatinKzo

If it doesn't say Dish 500 it may be a different manufacture.

Scott

Good point, I thought about that afterward. Oh well, it works, peaking at 105 on TP8 on 61.5 so I am happy. The speed square for elevation worked perfectly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)