5 LNB Dish - DC area

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My five cents

futbolrey said:
I live in Fairfax, VA and I don't have HD but i'm planning to upgrade in the next couple of months to HD just in time for the World Cup. Do u guys recommened I call directv to setup upgrade or a local directv dealer? I don't think I qualify for a free installation since I already have directv for about 7 months? What can I expect to pay for the 5 LBN installation?

I believe the standard deal is $99 for dish, H20, and install from DTV. I managed to get the deal for free after I talked to them about how others were getting it for free and with supervisor approval, see my previous posts. Even if you get it for free you may get stuck with the $14 S&H.

If you do go with DTV, let them know that you have heard mixed reviews about some installers and want to insure you get an installer that is capable of doing the install. I live in Fairfax City and got my install three weeks ago after the second installer.

Last edited:
So will the current HD-DVR work with the 5 lnb? I am looking to upgrade and was told I could either get the 3 lnb dish with the OAA or the 5 LNB dish.....I have to have DVR, should I wait for the new mpeg-4 dvr to come out and get the 5 lnb or go with the 3 lnb and OAA so I can have DVR?

hdtvtechno said:
LOL
What a dumb answer someone gave you :rolleyes: , The picture will be the same asw with any Directv Dish you install. ;)

huh...okay, cause a dtv install rep told me on the phone today as well...something about mpeg-2 and mpeg-4.....so the HR10-250 will work just fine with the 5 lnb dish and my local channels will come in just fine in HD?

tspepper said:
huh...okay, cause a dtv install rep told me on the phone today as well...something about mpeg-2 and mpeg-4.....so the HR10-250 will work just fine with the 5 lnb dish and my local channels will come in just fine in HD?

Yes it will work with the 5 LNB dish and the current HR10-250,
but the HR10-250 will not receive the Mpeg4 HD locals from directv.
The HR10-250 will only receive HD locals Via OTA Antenna Tuner

hdtvtechno said:
Yes it will work with the 5 LNB dish and the current HR10-250,
but the HR10-250 will not receive the Mpeg4 HD locals from directv.
The HR10-250 will only receive HD locals Via OTA Antenna Tuner

ouch....is there a current DVR that will get HD locals with the 5 LNB? I mean, isnt that the whole point of getting the 5 LNB? So you dont have to have the OTA.....

tspepper said:
Isnt that the whole point of getting the 5 LNB? So you dont have to have the OTA.....

I think the biggest point is the LIL HD is for people that have no ability to get their HD OTA.

charper1 said:
I think the biggest point is the LIL HD is for people that have no ability to get their HD OTA.

not sure what LIL is but....the 5 LNB as you probablly know, allows for you to get the local channels in HD without having to have an OTA...so if the current DVR doesnt get the local channles in HD even with the 5 LNB dish, what is the point? to me...DVR is essential

Mpeg4

tspepper said:
not sure what LIL is but....the 5 LNB as you probablly know, allows for you to get the local channels in HD without having to have an OTA...so if the current DVR doesnt get the local channles in HD even with the 5 LNB dish, what is the point? to me...DVR is essential

If you want HD Locals and be able to "DVR" it, then you'll have to stick with over the air. The current DTV HD DVR can't decode MPEG4. If you look at other posts, they predict that the MPEG4 enabled DVR will come out sometime this year, I think I remember seeing pictures of it posted somewhere. The point of the 5 LNB is for people who can't get the locals via antenna and need to get it from the mother ship. I personnally like the LNB 5 over the LNB 3 as it has go blank due to the weather even during the aweful wind and rain this past weekend. Are they even installing LNB 3s anymore?

Mounting a 5 LNB Dish

Hello; especially to ojones123;
I hear that this new dish is really heavy and the mounting includes two extra stabilizer arms.
To ojones123; how were you able to mount this new dish to a pole? How did you attach the two stabilizing arms? What was the outer diameter of the pole you used to mount the new dish.
Thanks for any information that you or anyone else in the community can provide to me. The installer is coming out to install on 2/11/05 but am worried that it can't be done. A roof is not an option for me.
Oh, one other question. If I built a small flat surface to mount the dish, what would be the minimal surface dimension I would have to make to mount the dish with the main mounting point with the two stabilizer arms,

I live in Aldie / South Riding area and had my DTV upgraded to the 5LNB and H20 receiver on 1/17. There were no problems with the Install once the installer was at my house, it took him two hours to mount the new dish and have everything up and running. The local channels in HD are great. The upgrade was supposed to cost $99, but since DTV and MASTEC (sp) screwed up my install so many times I ended up getting the $99 credited back to my account, in addition I got another $60 in credits, and Showtime free for 4 months. It is well worth the headache and the wait.

Had my install delayed from 12/31 and had it completed 01/14 and happy with it. They did tell me that the dish is different from the original 5LNB that was sent out. I dont know how true that is and unfortuantely I didnt have my camera to take pics, but just going with what he told me. They said they just had the training on the different dish a few days earlier. They were able to mount on my roof without any problems too. Only thing I'm not too pleased about is the new price incease and having to deal with it for 2 years. Oh well cause cable sucks here (adelphia still) and I hate E* and no OTA so I'm out of luck.

Edit: ok, so I posted this in the AM and now have lost all my HD signal. On hold with them right now and while online, found out I'm still missing my credit promised when they screwed up my first install. I reset the receiver and lost all of my HD and my HD locals just show "searching for signal". I guess I spoke too soon. I thought after 1 week of it being set up I was safe to comment.

Last edited:
Oskee I said:
If you want HD Locals and be able to "DVR" it, then you'll have to stick with over the air. The current DTV HD DVR can't decode MPEG4. If you look at other posts, they predict that the MPEG4 enabled DVR will come out sometime this year, I think I remember seeing pictures of it posted somewhere. The point of the 5 LNB is for people who can't get the locals via antenna and need to get it from the mother ship. I personnally like the LNB 5 over the LNB 3 as it has go blank due to the weather even during the aweful wind and rain this past weekend. Are they even installing LNB 3s anymore?

sounds like it might be worth waiting for an LNB 5 compatible DVR then....they said they would install the 3 LNB and the OTA...but why do that if this is gonna come out soon? Thanks!

help with multiswitches!!!

guys, i have a 3 lnb dish connected to a multiswitch on my roof (8 outputs). my question is can i connect another multiswitch to one of the lines inside of my house, in order to hook up a few more tv's???? i had to drill holes in my house to bring D** inside originally and i really am trying to avoid drilling more holes.. will this work or will 2 multiswitches not pull the signal thru!!!

Frederick/newmarket area

Had my install delayed from 12/31 and had it completed 01/14 and happy with it. They did tell me that the dish is different from the original 5LNB that was sent out. I dont know how true that is and unfortuantely I didnt have my camera to take pics, but just going with what he told me. They said they just had the training on the different dish a few days earlier. They were able to mount on my roof without any problems too. Only thing I'm not too pleased about is the new price incease and having to deal with it for 2 years. Oh well cause cable sucks here (adelphia still) and I hate E* and no OTA so I'm out of luck.

Edit: ok, so I posted this in the AM and now have lost all my HD signal. On hold with them right now and while online, found out I'm still missing my credit promised when they screwed up my first install. I reset the receiver and lost all of my HD and my HD locals just show "searching for signal". I guess I spoke too soon. I thought after 1 week of it being set up I was safe to comment.

Rick,
I saw that you are in adelphia area, so I figured you might be up my way. I am contemplating the switch to the new 5lnb dish with new h20 to replace my Sammy ts-160 HD receiver. I currently get all the HD channels OTA but channel 4. My current 3LNB dish is connected off my deck. I had a few questions to ask you: 1. Did they fix your problem with locals? 2. Do you think it will be ok to mount off my deck where the other one resides, with this dish being larger and heavier? 3. The only OTA's that I dont get are WRC 4 and of course UPN 20- both have very low signal power, but with the Olympics being on 4- I was thinking the switch might be worth it. What I dont want to have happen is what you described in your edit- going from my current situation- to no HD at all :mad:
Anyone else with answers- I am in the New Market area and would appreciate the help:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.