5 Receivers, 6 service visits, 722 & 722K keep restarting

I had DISH installed in Jan. '09 & had no problems at all until early July 2009, when my original 722 started acting up - restarting repeatedly, hard drive running at all different times of day or night, and could not watch either TV1 or TV2 until the rcvr finished resetting.

I have had the same problems as “richjh213” since August. Sometimes I also get a blank TV screen but the guide will display then I can go to “My Recordings” and play a recorded show but again just a blank screen then fast forward then back to “Live TV” and the TV programming will return to normal. I am on my 6th VIP 722 since 5/08.

The 722 replacement unit #2 replaced in 8/09 also had a DVR hard drive that was locking up so after reading some of the threads on this site I think the #1 & #2 722 replacements may have been caused by high DVR hard drive temps >142 deg (menu 63 counters). By placing the 722 on its side and elevating it so that fan air moves through the unit I have gotten my Avg. Temp down to 107 deg.

722 Replacement units #3-#6 DVR hard drive functions seem to be working fine but again like “richjh213” these units keep locking up. I just double checked the house electrical and no open grounds or REV polarity. Over the past few months these 722’s have been plugged into the wall or a “APC” surge protector. I am going to try a different wall plug though.

Also not sure if dish antenna grounding has any impact on this issue….but I found some loose Sat cable connections and some of the Sat cable grounds are rusted up and some of the copper grounds on the house where the Sat cable enters the house were a bit loose. I tightened everything down.

The video feed is also via HDMI on a Harman Kardon AV receiver and optical audio.

During the last 2 Dish Tech calls the tech said they were receiving info from the 722 over the network that my 722’s were bad…..one tech referenced the screen (613 details (Value:7: -2)) indicated that the hard drive was bad. The last three 722’s have had this value.

If I don’t get this fixed fast I think I am going back to Comcast…..I can’t believe I am saying this but I would save a lot of money….of course cheaper programming but at least it works most of the time.

Problem solved, but exact cause still unknown.

Finally, the problem is solved. :) I changed the connections around so the HDMI inputs from the 722k & the Blueray go directly to the TV, and the audio output goes from the TV to the Onkyo A/V unit via optical cable. Now everything is working fine, so far.
I still do not know exactly what caused the problems, since it seems that something must have changed in early July that I cannot identify....it was working fine, then it was not. Again, all I know is that the problem could be stopped by either leaving the Onkyo turned on, or by disconnecting the HDMI cable that was going from the 722k unit to the Onkyo whenever the system was not in use.
It is very annoying that DISH service people were of no help in solving this!! At least 40 hours of my time spent over a 3 month period.

Finally, the problem is solved. :) I changed the connections around so the HDMI inputs from the 722k & the Blueray go directly to the TV, and the audio output goes from the TV to the Onkyo A/V unit via optical cable.

The only problem with that hook-up is that you probably are not getting 5.1 digital audio to your receiver. The majority of HDTV's optical out only send dolby stereo surround (check your owners manual). You should go optical from your 722 and optical or digital coax from your Blu-ray to the Onkyo, depending on available connections.

Last edited:
You could go to the Onkyo w/ component & fibre and then run the HDMI to the TV. That way you would get the DD 5.1 to the Onkyo and digital vid to the TV. Of course you could just run component w/optical all the way thru and drop the HDMI altogether. There is rarely a difference in the PQ between the two.

I use a 3 position TOSLINK switch so my PS3, HD-DVD and 722k all can feed my surround sound which has only one optical input.

Dish Audio Setting

Question about "moving" with Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts