$50 Dish Grounding Inspection Fee passed by Omaha, Ne

From the FCC Regulations;

" 19. While we decline to adopt a formula based on a specific percentage of the cost ofequipment or services, we do require that the costs of complying with governmental and nongovernmental restrictions on the installation, maintenance and use of devices designed for over-the-air reception not be unreasonable in light of the cost of the equipment or services and the visual impact of the antenna. Under this approach, restrictions cannot require that
relatively unobtrusive DBS antennas be screened by expensive landscaping.

On the otherhand, a requirement to paint an antenna in a fashion that will not interfere with reception so that it blends into the background against which it is mounted would likely be acceptable. In determining the reasonableness of any additional cost, we will also consider the treatment of comparable devices. For example, if costs are imposed to screen other similar devices in the neighborhood, such as air conditioning units, trash receptacles, etc., similar requirements imposed on antennas may be reasonable under our rule even though they might increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use, if such measures are justified by visual impact. We believe that this approach adequately addresses the concerns of those who argue that requirements to paint, screen, or site antennas in particular ways will reduce the competitiveness of particular industries, and accommodates the interests of governmental and nongovernmental authorities, consumers, and providers of TVBS, MMDS and DBS. "

FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

If I understand correctly, you file an appeal and everything stops ( no payments) until FCC reviews and issues an order.

I updated a link with Video in the very first post. It was the leads story here on the 6 O Clock news. I could not believe the interview- crazy.

It is video interview of the council man who voted Yes, worried the dishes will fall on kids heads.

Worried that dishes will fall on kids heads? That is REDICULOUS! He needs to come up with stories where this has happened before. It is just an excuse.

I just sent this email to this idiot...

Chris,

I just read a story about your so called proposal to charge people an inspection fee for satellite dishes and I thought I had it bad living in the city of Detroit with all their inspection fees, all I can say is Thank God I do not live in Omaha Nebraska. Your inspection fee makes me sick!

All I can say is that you better plan on changing your proposal and have your inspections also cover Cable TV, as it is unfair to only target satellite Dish owners.

As someone who has been involved in the satellite industry for over 10 years, you getting ready to start a battle with DISH Network and Directv that you can't win. I know how both of these companies operate, and by the time they are finished with litigation to stop this, your city is going to be into this for well over the 2 million dollars your trying to raise.

Sincerely,

Claude A. Greiner

I just sent this email to this idiot...

Chris,

I just read a story about your so called proposal to charge people an inspection fee for satellite dishes and I thought I had it bad living in the city of Detroit with all their inspection fees, all I can say is Thank God I do not live in Omaha Nebraska. Your inspection fee makes me sick!

All I can say is that you better plan on changing your proposal and have your inspections also cover Cable TV, as it is unfair to only target satellite Dish owners.

As someone who has been involved in the satellite industry for over 10 years, you getting ready to start a battle with DISH Network and Directv that you can't win. I know how both of these companies operate, and by the time they are finished with litigation to stop this, your city is going to be into this for well over the 2 million dollars your trying to raise.

Sincerely,

Claude A. Greiner

lets see cox pays fees to the city and Dish/Direct tv doesn't they don't even need to be regulated by Omaha they already have it easier than cox. pay the $50

How did they come up with the cost of $50.00? Is that what it costs to inspect the dishes? Sounds to me like they pulled a number out of their a** just to make a buck off the backs of the common citizen.
I live in WI, but we as a satellite tv watching community, need to stop this now before it spreads like wild fire and we are all paying another fee.

lets see cox pays fees to the city and Dish/Direct tv doesn't they don't even need to be regulated by Omaha they already have it easier than cox. pay the $50

I agree.

And while we're at it include OTA antenna installations and anyone that has a birdhouse(they might fall down and hurt someone).

Do COX subscribers pay for an inspection? I doubt it. Do homeowner's pay an inspection fee for OTA antennas? Do homeowner's pay an inspection fee for FM radios? What about inspecting the gas line on your BBQ grill?

What would the home owner get out of this inspection? Does the city roll a truck and climb up on the roof to fully inspect the grounding? Or do they just drive by and note that there is a dish and send a bill for $50?

If the inspection is just a formality then this would just be a new tax. If they do a good job on the inspection it will cost the city more than $50 per house.

While I don't live in Omaha, I live in Lincoln about 50 miles SW. When I saw this on the local news I just about blew a gasket. Even if it's not in my city, the chances are being so close to Omaha and having a bunch of bone heads running this city as well they might pass the same regulation. For those of you who live in the state, you already know how we have so many ridiculous taxes on real estate and motorvehicle just to name a few. I'm impressed by the actions of people on this site converging and realizing how serious of an issue this is. I will be writing letters as well. Thank you for standing up for these issues as we need to stop them from spreading. I can't wait to hear Dish and Directv's responses.

If we let these IDIOTS get away with things like this they will bleed everyone dry rather than tighten their belts.

Start a recall petition on that numbskull.

Its not the fee im pist off about, its the fact they are going only after satellite Dish owners.

OTA antennas, Cable Television and Satellite Dishes all need to be properly grounded. The grounding system for Cable TV, is no different than the grounding system on a satellite Dish.

The whole issue here is that the DISH and Directv customers in Omeha are a small minority compaired to the number of people who have cable TV.

Get all the Cable Television customers pist off over this, and there is no way its going to pass as your talking about literally penalizing everyone in the city who has some type of pay television service.

This is stupid. Dishes falling on kids have nothing to do with grounding (not that dishes fall on kids, doesn't happen). Just stupid.

It is discrimintory, and will not stand. You would have to inspect grounding on telephone, cable, satellite, electrical, propane, OTA, FTA, FM, CB, whatever, everything, or it is discrimintory.

No way this will ever hold up.

I am afraid that the cable lines are going to fall on children's heads. It is time to have those lines inspected too. While we are at it, let's go ahead and inpstect the phone and power lines and power poles.

Its not the fee im pist off about, its the fact they are going only after satellite Dish owners.

OTA antennas, Cable Television and Satellite Dishes all need to be properly grounded. The grounding system for Cable TV, is no different than the grounding system on a satellite Dish.

The whole issue here is that the DISH and Directv customers in Omeha are a small minority compaired to the number of people who have cable TV.

Get all the Cable Television customers pist off over this, and there is no way its going to pass as your talking about literally penalizing everyone in the city who has some type of pay television service.

Ditto, if they're so concerned about grounding they should have to inspect cable TV and OTA setups. While they're at it, they might as well inspect telephone lines as well.

The cable company has several satellite dishes at their headend. They better be ready to pony up $50 per dish. I am sure it is a drop in the bucket for them. Don't forget the tv stations and businesses. Oh yeah, thats right, its only for Dish Network and Directv satellite systems.

Ok here's my take on it and I won't read the whole thread but I can agree with the general sentiment so far.

It is unfair that it targets satellite solely because cable television and telephone also are required to be grounded by NEC code yet anyone can find that these are not grounded properly just as much as any DBS system may not be or not correctly.

This is also not fair to the citizens of the city as it is nothing more than an attempt to cover a budget shortfall due to the short sightedness of a city council to properly budget itself to plan for lean times, if anything the companies that do the installations for all three service types should be charged for the inspection but only if it fails to pass NEC and state code requirements.

The idea though is one that I can agree with as long as it is not biased and only goes after one industry. If it is rewritten to go after all three then I could stand behind it completely and I say this as someone who has worked in it in the past and has seen far to many satellite cable and telephone systems that would never ever come anywhere near to meeting NEC and state code requirements for grounding. There are several reasons why this happens such as laziness of the installer, time crunch issues relating to the company forcing routing times onto their employee's to maximize production without allowing for a time buffer to handle difficult work and the sub contractor industry which pays on a per job basis creating a gitRdone mentality to churn out as many jobs as possible per day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)