50" DLP crosses $1000 threshold

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
This weekend's Wally world has a one time offer (through 6 Jan 07) for a Viore brand DLP with stand for $997. It has 2 HMDI and 2 Component inputs.

While it isn't a Mitsu in picture quality, it does lower the price bar to just crazy. With 50" Plasmas selling for under $2500, the sub $1500 DLP may (have to) become the standard.

If the price gets any cheaper, I'll buy a new DLP when the bulb goes bad:)

Happy New Year! Be safe!

Miner

You can get a 100" DLP for under $1000. A Mits HD1000u for $899, 100" DIY screen with blackout cloth ($40), and home made mount ($20).

The heck with plasma, the Mits is freaking beautiful!

I also agree with FPTV.

Why would anyone settle for a tiny 60" or less "flat panel" at $1000 or more?

Viore is made by Akai just FYI

Last edited:
Fellas,

I'm with you on the projector and screen for the best bang for the buck, the the sub $1000 for a Microdisplay RPTV has now been broken.

Besides, too many wives, mine included, just won't go for the FPTV.

Isn't Akai made by Samsung? At least that was the scuttlebut when Costco had the Akai 50" for sale around $1500. Then again isn't everything made in Korea somehow owned (ot manufactured) by Samsung?

Miner

What are these non-detailed excuses about wives not allowing a FPTV? They are a better value; quality, size per dollar. They even take up less space overall. I an very interested in the excuses. You tell you wife you are getting a bigger, equal to better display for less money and they are always all over that.

Aren't the bulbs more expensive than for RPTVs, and don't last as long? I can't believe I'm reading people buying into HD and then what- projecting on a sheet on the wall? That's quality? Other places comment on buying screens approaching or even exceeding $1,000. And let's see- wires laying all around, or do you punch holes and run them thru floors, walls, ceiling? Oh yeah, I can see why WAF is low.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=82415

Post #6 (I really don't want to type all that again) Most of what dissuades people is:

1) they can't go see them at the local store as a rule, because they do not have the HUGE profitable markup the "flat panels" do, so less bottom line to the seller, so why would they inform customers about that choice?

2) There are far to many years OLD-THOUGHT myths that say you have to have a auditorium sized room that is cave dark to run one; this IS NOT true.

3) People assume, mostly because of bad rumor/info, that that are ridiculously expensive or of inferior quality; also NOT true.

Last edited:
I almost bought a projector over the summer but decided that I should wait for better technology to come out where the bulbs did not cost several hundred and/or last a lot longer. Hearing about the laser televisions which are supposed to come out later this year made me wonder if there will be a laser projector that will also come out that will be more economical over the long haul. A projector may be cheaper for the screen size you get on the short term but over the long haul you got a lot of money in bulbs. Any news on laser projectors?

Another myth busted in another thread. How many hours per day do you really watch (not just have it on in the background)?

To many it is really no comparison (cost, quality or size) for people that want a real home theater and not just a new fancy looking, in fashion display that is still just a TV because right now their cost for such a small screen kills it.

Take a top rated projector that can do 96" - 106" @ $2000 (mine included 2 lamps/ so 2 years worth at least) with a new lamp every 2555 hrs @ $300 (7hr x 365 days = 1 per year) x 5 years: $1500 (assumes they NEVER get cheaper with age) = $3500 total over 7 years of use. I have gone just over 1yr with no new lamp needed yet and no degraded images or briteness (sp?).

Will you keep a $4600 or higher cost display or a FPTV 7 years; likely not; so the FPTV gets even cheaper that that $3500 total; BUT the flat panel doesn't!

Compared to a like flat panel. First find a flat panel that big! 70" or more LOL! But lets compare it with just a quality low cost display.

Here is the lowest cost typical large flat panel I could find that size - Samsung HP-R6372 63 in. HDTV @ $4600 a tiny 63" for MORE money. PLEASE find me a quality 70"+ display for $3500

HD television and technology still fairly in its infantsy with things that need to be worked out and it has already improved a bit but I can see where there will be many more improvements. I think the biggie is the amount of HD programming that is available. Before I was saying that there is not enough HD content to make it viable to pay a lot extra to get an HD television just yet. Now with Dish's offerings I can no longer say that but do not feel like paying that much more just to get HD content and all those B.S. fees. I think competition will change that in the near future it is just a matter of time.

HD television and technology still fairly in its infantsy with things that need to be worked out and it has already improved a bit but I can see where there will be many more improvements. I think the biggie is the amount of HD programming that is available. Before I was saying that there is not enough HD content to make it viable to pay a lot extra to get an HD television just yet. Now with Dish's offerings I can no longer say that but do not feel like paying that much more just to get HD content and all those B.S. fees. I think competition will change that in the near future it is just a matter of time.

AMEN!!.The voice of reason of course another reason I just can't believe they made a HDRPTV that has a light bulb that burns out in 3000 hours.That's definately not on my wishlist.With all the other technologies still beyond my budget the voice of reason says wait the time will come.Channels will increase and
be reasonably priced televisions will advance and become just as reliable as a CRT
set it only takes time.Cause in my mind who wants to watch SD on a HDTV!.I know
I am getting older I am starting to think like my parents!.:)

3000 Hours = 1 year of television @ 8.2 hours per day
3000 Hours = 2 years of television @ 4.1 hours per day
3000 Hours = 2 1/2 years of television @ 3 hours per day

So what's your point? If the bulbs burnt out in exactly 3000 hrs it might be a big deal. Like I said, I have well over 3000 hrs and my tv is at least 3.5 years old. When it burns out I spend 250 bucks and I have a new tv, big deal. You can try and bash RPTV all you want but I have not regretted getting mine.:)

RPTV bulbs last longer than FPTV. Mine is rated for 6,000 hours and I believe that is about average.

AMEN!!.The voice of reason of course another reason I just can't believe they made a HDRPTV that has a light bulb that burns out in 3000 hours.

That may be the case, I just read what he wrote and made a response, perhaps he meant FPTV. If that's the case I can kinda agree, especially if it's going to be your main tv. I would like one downstairs but I'm hoping they get some better bulb technology.

We have a JVC 56" Hd-ILA in the living room and a FP in the basement. Nide thing was when our old RPTV needed service and when it blew I took a cheap PJ upstairs and we used it for a few weeks until our rptv was fixed/replaced.

I was referring to ANY bulb that would burn out in only 3000 hours which would be the FPTV's. If there are bulbs that last longer than that then it is a bargain to only have to pay $250 for a new bulb to make it like new again but not if the bulb burns out every year or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)