HL72A650 DLP on it's way out ?

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
Thought something fell in my living room until I heard a fizzle and faint electronic burning smell. This happened when I shut the tv off, before the fan turned off. Fully expected the TV to not turn back on, but it did. Tried again this morning and still working. Strange. Pulled the lamp and it looks good. My guess is it's either the ballast or power supply going bad. Anyone have this happen, yet the TV is still working?

Were you able to figure out where exactly the burning smell was coming from?

Were you able to figure out where exactly the burning smell was coming from?
Definitely came from the TV, yet it's still working. I pulled the back cover off and checked the power supply. One of the capacitors looks a bit deformed, but no sign
of anything blown. I would have expected the TV to be dead. Maybe time for an upgrade. Had the power supply and ballast replaced ~2 1/2 yrs ago. Maybe it's time to start looking at a new set.

Last edited:
Now the TV is power cycling itself. Going to have someone come in and take a look. My guess is it's the power supply or ballast. $89 for a service call and it'll go towards the labor, if I chose to get it repaired. Repair cost will be much, much cheaper than the set I'm looking to replace it with. If I get another 2-3 years out of the set , great.

Sounds like Bad Caps if you can visually see the can is popped. If you're good with a soldering iron it can be an easy fix, but that depends on getting access to the boards. I was able to bring my Mitsubishi RP HDTV back when the electrolytic caps in the digital module popped.

Someone stopped by to look at it today. Bad cap on the ballast. I'm not good at soldering. Going to get the ballast replaced. Already at $90 for the service call, so had him order the board. I at least watched him remove the LE assembly. Will be able to do it myself if it happens again. Still a great picture, once it's back up and running. Hopefully will last me another few years.

Last edited:
Someone stopped by to look at it today. Bad cap on the ballast. I'm not good at soldering. Going to get the ballast replaced. Already at $90 for the service call, so had him order the board. I at least watched him remove the LE assembly. Will be able to do it myself if it happens again. Still a great picture, once it's back up and running. Hopefully will last me another few years.

I decided $250 labor to replace the ballast is ridiculous. Would have been ~$350 total. Instead, I'm in it for $90 for the service call and found the part online for $80.

Installed a new ballast and lamp last night and I'm back in business. Cap was definitely blown. Hopefully will last another 2yrs without anymore issues.

Think it's finally time to retire my dlp. TV now won't power on. Looks like the power supply board. I've been looking the 75" Samsung at Sams. Currently on sale until 4/5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)