Roku Sticks It to Chromecast with $50 Streaming Stick

Good idea...assuming the plug is close to the HDMI (my case they're in the opposite ends)

Cheers, K

How far away are we talking? I assume it is close enough to be able to plug in the set itself. Most of these micro usb cables are 3 feet or so, with longer lengths available.

Nice wordplay on the title, but I much prefer the operation of the chromecast vs a standard streaming device similar to what it appears the Roku stick will be. Most remote apps are terrible and I don't want another remote control.

In the applications I have used it is super simple to find what I want to play using native applications, start it playing and sending it to the Chromecast where it takes over the playback. In the meantime the simple controls remain on my phone or computer.

As has been stated earlier unless you are using a chrometab on your computer to cast the streaming is all done through the Chromecast directly, the controlling device only sends commands to the Chromecast. The only time it uses the local machine's power is if you are not using the application's chrome button, but instead casting a whole webtab.

The ease of use is in fact the one thing that has gotten my wife to bother with streaming anything to the tv. Find it on her phone or computer, click play, click chrome button. Now that the sdk has been opened to developers I can't wait to hopefully have that button in the majority of media applications I use. Who knows, it could potentially even be useful in an ebook app - read your book on the big screen!

Roku Streaming Stick vs. Google Chromecast: How do they stack up? http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_...le-chromecast-how-do-they-stack-up/?ttag=fbwp

It is a pretty good summary. I see they had the same PC chromecast issues I have seen... Takes a good desktop with hardwired ethernet for me to get the browser mirroring to work well.

But I also wonder if it would not be a better AppleTV vs Chromecast comparison. Since Apple TV does the iTunes and Chromecast does the Google play, and they both have a limited number of apps.

It is a pretty good summary. I see they had the same PC chromecast issues I have seen... Takes a good desktop with hardwired ethernet for me to get the browser mirroring to work well.

But I also wonder if it would not be a better AppleTV vs Chromecast comparison. Since Apple TV does the iTunes and Chromecast does the Google play, and they both have a limited number of apps.

I was wondering that also and if anyone has those give your comparisons and thanks for help!! :)

I was wondering that also and if anyone has those give your comparisons and thanks for help!! :)

I have all three (Apple TV, Chromecast and Roku). Personally I like AppleTV the best since it has a buffer, but of course it does not do a lot of things. Then there is Roku which does almost everything (no iTunes or Google Play) but does not have a buffer. Then there is Chromecast which works well with Google Play.

But, find the basic concept of AppleTV and Chromecast to be very similar. Both designed to best deliver the content their maker provides (i.e. iTunes or Google Play) then both have some apps to do other stuff. I see Chromecast catching up to AppleTV in functionality very quickly. But, of course Apple TV has a couple big advantages to me:

1. A real interface with remote instead of the odd setup of Chromecast
2. An internal buffer (8GB) that can hold shows and makes single frame forward and back work with iTunes. Plus you can download in advance if bad connection.
3. Hardwired Ethernet available

Apple TV still has more apps than Chromecast, but since AppleTV does not really seem to add apps very fast, I see Chromecast catching up quick.

Maybe we will see AppleTV come out with a new model this year to try to set itself apart from RoKu and Chromecast again.

Hasn't there been a roku "stick" for quite some time? I remember it being discussed in the past. Maybe it never made it to production. I'm sure "new" means much better performance, but in a stick that small, how will it perform (horsepower wise) compared to our already small, newer roku boxes?

I'd love to have one just for the fun o fit......but my only other concern for personal use is that it likely won't be usable with existing IR remotes (no mention on their site)...and if it is, performance may be very limited in that capacity given the location the sticks will go! I've had great luck bouncing IR around most of my locations, but none of the IR receivers are in the rear of a piece of equipment. Looks like with this I'd have to use the supplied remote (I don't smartphone...) because the mention no "IR remote" options, which even the 2XS series kept!

I'll probably continue to enjoy the 2XS. Seems the most versatile one thus far, stable, and options. What little speed "newer" ones give, I can wait an extra second or two for menus to move and movies to load. The only thing I miss out on so-far is the audio AAC+ format via "TuneIn Radio" but...even as someone streaming in that format, I have enough sources to monitor that anywhere!

We loved our Rokus but replaced all but one in the house with chromecasts and don't miss it. Apple TV was never a option because of compatibility with other online video services at the time.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Chromecast as the primary wouldn't work for me because of no amazon support.

The stick has potential, but for my use its lacking currently.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

There has been a Roku stick for use with OPPO BD players for quite some time.

I ordered the roku stick. I have one tv that's feeling left out from streaming. :)
It's on back order but should be here around the 1st of April.

That's why we kept the Roku in my son's room, and gave the PS3 foe Amazon/BD playback in the bedroom (in addition to a chromecast). In the living room we have a Chromecast and an always on Xbox One.

Rokus were at each of those TVs at one point.

Casted a chrome tab of the last PPV event to it, it was awesome.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Of course it supports Amazon if you have a computer powerful enough to do the chrome browser to Chromecast Amazon VOD. That is the one great strength of Chromecast - if you have the hardware and can get it to run in Chrome, you can see it on Chromecast...

Of course it supports Amazon if you have a computer powerful enough to do the chrome browser to Chromecast Amazon VOD. That is the one great strength of Chromecast - if you have the hardware and can get it to run in Chrome, you can see it on Chromecast...

True enough, but even with a fairly powerful computer, I've never been able to make it work well enough that I would use it that way. One of the well documented gripes of the device. Shame too, because it works great in some cases with lesser hardware, and very poorly with better hardware in others.

What about the 5.1 sound that everyone who uses a native Amazon app on the other streaming devices can get? Maybe I'm wrong, but I would assume that the picture quality from a casted browser tab wouldn't be as good as other dedicated streaming devices either.

Amazon has it where an iPhone or iPad can airplay to AppleTV. I suspect they will get around to doing it with chromecast. Perhaps native support since Google is probably more receptive to it than Apple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)