50 years ago in Little League

The fact that soccer can't make any inroads into the baseball player and fan base shows you how sucky a sport soccer is.

WHOA Tex! What does soccer have ANYTHING to do with this subject? Soccer's popularity still grows...while baseball does not. In the "baseball hotbeds" of latin america, it is growning in the D.R., Puerto Rico, Cuba, Venezuela, Japan and the list goes on and on. Remember, BEFORE you put down soccer, it is STILL the MOST watched sport IN THE WORLD. More countries play soccer than ANY OTHER sport.

So, I would say your little comment about "how sucky a sport soccer is"....has no bearing on this thread and does not have a leg to stand on.;)

Hitting all those home runs was too boring!
I agree. HRs (unless they are inside the park jobs) are boring. The most exciting plays in baseball involve the defense (since they do control the ball) and the HR eliminates the defense's involvement in the game.

The most exciting offensive plays in baseball are ones that involve the other teams defense. A bases clearing double with a close play at a base for example. The HR takes that away as well.

...The most exciting plays in baseball involve the defense ...

Amen! The three greatest moments in Boston Red Sox history (post WW II)

3. Jose Tartabul throwing out Ken Berry with two out in the ninth in a 1967 regular season game.

2. Carl Yastrzemski throwing out Bobby Allison at second base to squelch a Minnesota Twins rally in the 162nd game of the 1967 season.

3. Dave Roberts being called safe at second on a play so close that no one could have complained if it was called th other way. And without that call, The Curse surely would have continued.

Who was the first Little Leaguer to win the World Series?

I have never found any part of baseball boring, most especially, playing the game. when we were short of players, we just made RF out. (Or LF for lefties)

Jason, Bey, Jason Varitek, and Gary Sheffield all played in the Little League World Series. I know this doesn't answer the question directly, but they are the only three I can remember that played in the LL WS at this time.

Even hockey players played in the LLWS:

phf-aagj214.jpg

Jason, Bey, Jason Varitek, and Gary Sheffield all played in the Little League World Series. I know this doesn't answer the question directly, but they are the only three I can remember that played in the LL WS at this time.

I would say that because most American born major leaguers at the ages of 11-13 were playing a level or 2 above "little league". The "little league" world series is played at a distance that is suited for 9 & 10 year olds and many community baseball leagues have gone away from the ridiculously small "little league" fields. It is no fun hitting against a 12 year old at 46 feet or watching a kid hitting "jacks" to a 190ft fence.

The first person to win a World Series and play in a LLWS game was Jim Palmer.