Australian Football League

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Getting AFL here in USA is pretty hard to find, it's mostly geolocked on internet video streaming and nonexistent on Ku band satellite.

I do get highlights from free YouTube ABC News Australia channel, but yet to see a live feeds one yet! :hungry :hatsoff

• Sad
Reactions: madmadworld
Getting AFL here in USA is pretty hard to find, it's mostly geolocked on internet video streaming and nonexistent on Ku band satellite.

I do get highlights from free YouTube ABC News Australia channel, but yet to see a live feeds one yet! :hungry :hatsoff
Yeah, probably not any free viewing options. It’s on FS1 and FS2 every week for USA paytv subs or you also can sub to the Watch AFL streaming service for outside Australia viewers. With the time difference, it’s usually on in the early morning hours in the US, so hard to watch live.

I caught it on the Fox Sports App and was watching a fast-paced, high-scoring match. Thank goodness for Wikipedia!

One or two games are on either Fox Sports 2 (very rarely Fox Sports 1) and the rest on Fox Soccer Plus. Which is dumb because Fox Soccer Plus, as the name implies, is otherwise 100% soccer. It is a stand alone pay channel on DirecTV, not included in the "Sports Pack" or any other level of service, AFAIK. While I would certainly enjoy an occasional AFL game, soccer has no interest to me.

True in the past years, but so far this season there have 4 games each week on the FS channels, 1 game on FS1 and 3 games on FS2. Last week was the first week 4 games were on FS2. This week is 1 on FS1 and 3 on FS2.

I've watched many live "Footy" matches during my numerous trips to Australia and have subscribed to the Watch AFL streaming package for the past 5 years. It costs approximately $130 (US) per year and is worth it for dedicated fans. I do see that FS1 and FS2 are showing more matches than previous but the main benefit of Watch AFL is that you can follow a particular team. My team is the St. Kilda Saints (St. Kilda is a suburb of Melbourne, the 2nd largest city in Australia). Their theme song is "When The Saints Come Marching In."

It's a very rough sport with no equipment except for shorts and a T-shirt style top which they call a "Guernsey." Yet they tackle and hit with the ferocity of the NFL. The standings are known as the "Ladder" and when the score is tied they say the score is "Level." Their cleats are known as "Boots" and there are many other interesting expressions. At first I had some trouble understanding the Australian accent but now I listen like a real "Aussie."