Vegas, the sports town?

Discussion in 'The Sports Section' started by meStevo, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Still trying to reconcile the Raiders coming to town as a Chiefs fan, but it was just announced that MGM is buying the San Antonio Stars and relocating them to Las Vegas.

Just in the last few years:

NHL: Vegas Golden Knights
    NFL: Las Vegas Raiders (eta 2020/2021)
    USL (Soccer): Las Vegas Lights FC (eta 2018)

Prior to this... just a AAA baseball team (Stars / 51s), for the Dodgers and then Mets (and will be a different team next year). They're building a new stadium and the Lights will have exclusive use of Cashman Field once that happens in 2019.

It's just surreal. Are MLB and NBA far behind? I think we need to see how well the Raiders do before we start talking about another large stadium project unless it's someone wants to privately fund it and take the risk. NBA feels like a good fit but is probably more about the opportunity to expand/relocate than whether or not Vegas is ready.

As a dad, I'm pretty happy about all of these developments. Never thought I'd be able to raise my kids in this kind of environment.

2. *** WELCOME TO SATELLITEGUYS! ***
  3. I actually had a weird dream last week that the Celtics moved to Vegas and Boston was adding an expansion team. Not that the Celtics would ever leave Boston. But, I do believe that the NBA would be next, as all they would have to do is use the same arena as the Golden Knights.

4. The economics of baseball, playing every day with a major dependence on regional TV $$ do not mesh with the reality in Las Vegas. The NBA is a different deal, but the issues it had with its all-star game fiasco linger.

5. Five years ago I would have predicted an expansion NBA franchise for Vegas in the T-Mobile Arena and another stab at an expansion NHL franchise in KC at the Sprint Center. The NBA is in more [US] markets then any one of the other Big 4, where they are the only league in town. Memphis, OKC, Orlando, Portland, Sacramento, Salt Lake and San Antonio. Plus, I thought Bettman would have learned his lesson about putting an ice hockey team in the desert.

6. via Twitter, preparing for tomorrow's groundbreaking.

[​IMG]

Derwin0 likes this.
  7. As an aside, I think UNLV and the Las Vegas Bowl will benefit greatly from the Raiders' stadium. Current Sam Boyd Stadium is 7 miles from campus, kind of on the edge of development (LV is like that, it is 100% developed until you reach the desert and then it is just desert).

With an air conditioned 72K chair back seats, and being the fastest growing metro area in the country, UNLV could evolve itself into being a serious football power. The LV Bowl, just another of the endless run of bowl ESPN tosses up can become much more important, with the new stadium being right in the heart of the tourist area. Also note that LV has fostered international tourism with various rugby deals, and expect that to expand as well.

SatelliteGuys.US
SatelliteGuys Hometown Discussions The Sports Section