Vegas, the sports town?

This Kaval guy did a long segment with the Mad Dog yesterday. Seemed like a genuine guy, as far as any rich guy can be. These are my takes:

- He really wanted the team to stay in Oakland. He wanted a deal similar to what other baseball teams have gotten. He tried to work with the governments there for decades, they were just uninterested. Most owners would have pulled the plug long ago.

- The lease runs through 24. They have been spending their own money on possum control, sewage, and all the other problems that the county was supposed to be doing. He has a deal with the AAA team to use the ballpark. Even with its limited capacity, it will draw more than in Oakland. IMHO, playing in Oakland will be box office poison. No way they can do that for years. The SF idea is the same as playing in Oakland, sans the possums.

- This deal still needs approval from the Nevada state government, which is not a sure thing. They are getting more %age of taxpayer money than the Raiders or Knights got. Has to be done by January.

- He sees keeping the AAA team in town, as a low price locals deal. This is the system in Minnesota, Atlanta, Houston, and Seattle, so players can be sent up or down in a cab. But all of those places are way bigger than Las Vegas, so my bet is the AAA team will move somewhere else. Probably Vancouver.

- They are keeping the A's name and colors.

- They are setting this up in marketing towards locals and fans of the visiting teams. Which really it would not be fun to play for a baseball team where half the crowd are for the team in gray.

- The six teams, yes, six, that claim to be the home team in southern Nevada all have to sign off on this. Some will want $$.

- He sees keeping the AAA team in town, as a low price locals deal. This is the system in Minnesota, Atlanta, Houston, and Seattle, so players can be sent up or down in a cab. But all of those places are way bigger than Las Vegas, so my bet is the AAA team will move somewhere else. Probably Vancouver.
I seriously doubt Vancouver. Calling players up would involve crossing the border each time and if Canada decided to close it's borders again for a Covid like problem the team could be screwed. Look what happened with the Bluejays. Remember this from 2020?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-u-s-border-travel-restrictions-covid-19-1.5689249

(I hope you didn't mean Vancouver Washington, a city of less than 200k residents.) Either destination is likely too far from Vegas. MLB teams like to have their AAA teams close by these days for quick turn around if a call up is necessary.

(Not sure why I couldn't edit the previous post since no one had responded to it but there was no Edit option. :confused: )

I just picked Vancouver because it has a High A team and a solid stadium, and multiple flights per day to Las Vegas (as does about any place, to be fair). It is, by far, the largest city with a team that low in the system. AAA baseball teams are profitable and there will be a serious competition among cities for it. I don't see it working in Las Vegas, as the town with an MLB/AAA combination are all much larger.

What "history" does a place that had 16K residents in 1940 actually have?

Hotels come and hotels go. This year's shiny new thing will be a dump in 20 years and blown up for the next shiny new thing 10 years after that. It is what Las Vegas is all about.

Yeah, I joke all the time that I'm one of the 5 people actually born here. It's a town built on transience.

I am a viscerally nostalgic person, but having never worked in the hotel industry I am not at all that way about the Strip. I lament things like my outdated Elementary or Middle Schools being rebuilt from the ground out (John S Park and John C Fremont), but the disappointment w/ demolishing these older properties has never really been a source of disappointment for me the way it has been for others.

Reactions: Derwin0
Yeah, I joke all the time that I'm one of the 5 people actually born here. It's a town built on transience.

I am a viscerally nostalgic person, but having never worked in the hotel industry I am not at all that way about the Strip. I lament things like my outdated Elementary or Middle Schools being rebuilt from the ground out (John S Park and John C Fremont), but the disappointment w/ demolishing these older properties has never really been a source of disappointment for me the way it has been for others.
Even when it was the other side of the 15, did you think that the property might be of too high a value for a baseball park ? let alone this side.

Add in the pure pia of going to game there.

Even when it was the other side of the 15, did you think that the property might be of too high a value for a baseball park ? let alone this side.

Add in the pure pia of going to game there.

I know you know the area, but annotated a map for the others.

Across 15 (green) I thought could be much more transformative of a project. It's all low density commercial and warehouses, so a ballpark w/ new hotel (Ballys was going to build a tower) w/ parking and accessible via pedestrian bridge could benefit the other entertainment venues, and over time the land between the football and baseball stadiums (blue) would probably turn over and become more entertainment district-style properties.

Garage V is marked by Google because that's where I park when I go to Raider games, or I'll pay for a good spot if I take mom or my inlaws. It's about a mile away, for an idea of the scale of the map.

I liked the festival grounds site too (red), could have been really nice views of the strip from the north side though less accessible than the other sites absent better transportation infrastructure and as much as I like the idea of the Boring tunnels, that ain't it and nothing else is on the horizon to address that.

1683903957774.png

If you own a bit of Bally stock.
What you think about giving the Oakland A's $180 million worth of land ?
how does this sort of deal go at board meeting ? just never heard of Free Land worth $180 million.
I must be missing something.