Vegas, the sports town?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Golden sunset as the Golden Knights lift the Stanley Cup.

1686712057406.png

So, what is that, a tie with the Flyers for fastest Cup from franchise start, excluding the original teams back in 1918ish.

So, what is that, a tie with the Flyers for fastest Cup from franchise start, excluding the original teams back in 1918ish.
Flyers won in 74, its 7th NHL season.
Oilers won in 84, its 5th season in the NHL, although it had played 7 seasons in the WHA before the "merger".
Knights are in their 6th season.

IMHO, the A's, and MLB, need to just rip the band-aid off and move on. The A's had a "reverse boycott", where people were going to show up to show the team had support, and drew only 27K. If they can get out for the 24 season, do it. Certainly for 25. Even if they do years at the AAA park, its better than playing before 5 or 6K people in a 60 year old dump.

And as to all this "sell the team" stuff I am seeing out the A's fanbase, really? To whom? This is not some greedy guy trying to move a team to get big $$ (which is how Oakland got the A's in the first place), it seems to me that this guy has bent over backwards for over a decade looking to get out of the last of the 60s multipurpose stadiums, a place that leaks sewage and is possum infested, and the city and county won't help him. No body wants to buy the A's and keep them in the Oakland Coliseum, because they simply are not a viable economic entity there.

Reactions: madmadworld
There is a party who had some secret offer and has expressed interest, and a prior precedent of MLB forcing the sale of a team, but no indication any of that will happen. It's largely an 11th hour pivot.

With a clear path out and public funding in Vegas, if anything THAT could be an avenue to facilitate a sale, but in the end Oakland still loses the A's because of literally decades of not being able to figure out the stadium situation resulting in them losing their major sports teams.

A's lease doesn't expire for another season, it's in both the team and Oakland's best interest to amend that to allow them to go sooner rather than force them to play out a lame duck session and hold up and plans for the Coliseum site for another year.

A's lease doesn't expire for another season, it's in both the team and Oakland's best interest to amend that to allow them to go sooner rather than force them to play out a lame duck session and hold up and plans for the Coliseum site for another year.

I hear they'll play temporarily at the A's minor league park in Summerlin until the new stadium is built.

There is a party who had some secret offer and has expressed interest, and a prior precedent of MLB forcing the sale of a team, but no indication any of that will happen. It's largely an 11th hour pivot.

With a clear path out and public funding in Vegas, if anything THAT could be an avenue to facilitate a sale, but in the end Oakland still loses the A's because of literally decades of not being able to figure out the stadium situation resulting in them losing their major sports teams.

Turns out Oakland has a solution that the A's don't want to consider. This is more ownership wants to leave than anything else.

Turns out Oakland has a solution that the A's don't want to consider. This is more ownership wants to leave than anything else.

Oakland has been unable to come to terms with what it takes to have professional sports teams for decades and has now lost all of them. Recent efforts feel a bit disingenuous to save face. I do hope they somehow work it out (as Vegas inevitably would receive an expansion team if there's an ownership group out there that wants to make it happen) but it feels like that window's closed unless owners force the A's to try and make Oakland work one more time.

It's literally been decades though of this song and dance. Plenty of blame to go around as to why it's reached this point.

Here is where the A's Stadium should have been built. much cheaper land.
the development would've been great. 73 acres etc

I'd have liked this (though my favorite was always the Cashman Field site), but distance from lodging and traffic would be a big issue for the area given our sad lack of competent mass transit. Traffic won't be great at the Trop site either, but the vectors for getting to it are greater between the monorail and the parking options at hotels up and down the strip.

Even if the Vegas Loop is a surprising success, nothing currently planned to go that far north west.

That area could use a nice anchor too to help recover from the last several years of general blight, I'm skeptical of this mixed use concept moves the needle. When I hear mixed use I think of what the Boulevard Mall has become - which is not a place I want to go like it used to be.

Parking/Traffic wouldn't be so bad lots of it with 73 acres. could make Lake Mead one way during events. redoing the 95 exits.
so many other way to avoid Lake mead also lol
I still can't get over 180 million in free land to a crap MLB team. who has such power ? need to see the fine print, it must be a heck of a write off forever.

Also @ 30,00 seats the smallest park in MLB. will they(MLB) go for that ?