500GB for 155.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience USB 2.0 is not slower than the ATA-133 bus or humanly noticeable unless you have SATA 3.0Gbps ;) They are pretty quick. However, for my purpose E* did not put an eSATA port on the 622 so it is what ya get ya got.

The effective max, best scenario, hi-speed data rate for USB 2.0 is 480Mbps (or 40MBps), while UltraATA 133 delivers 133MBps, or 1,064Mbps, much faster than USB, I think it will be quite noticable when/if for example, someone would try to write multiple streams to it over USB as opposed to ATA, and I won't even go into latency, for pure storage though (no real time streams), the speed becomes a bit acedemic.

:)

Last edited:
4.01 has not been spooled (aka nobody has it) but the beta group from here that signed up before 7EDT this morning.

Yeah but nobody ever said that 4.01 would include the long-awaited external USB support.

Speaking of your drive, however, I have the 320GB version (it was the biggest one they had when I got it, and it cost $200). It is a nice drive. Usually - but not always - shuts itself down when not in use; and is relatively zippy. I am using it via firewire right now, but I have used both FW and USB on it.

One of my big concerns when the external USB support comes is whether the drives will be able to shut-themselves down when not in use. It does not always happen with all drives; and if they run all the time, they get REALLY hot.

The effective max, best scenario, hi-speed data rate for USB 2.0 is 480Mbps (or 40MBps), while UltraATA 133 delivers 133MBps, or 1,064Mbps, much faster than USB, I think it will be quite noticable when/if for example, someone would try to write multiple streams to it over USB as opposed to ATA, and I won't even go into latency, for pure storage though (no real time streams), the speed becomes a bit acedemic.

:)
I understand the variance in bus speeds, but that is not representative of actual bandwidth and I am just saying for a DVR, it would be fine, it would also be fine as an add on to any PC.

Obviously you are a power-user and know what you are saying, I am agree with you, but unless you are copying GB ... would you really notice or care?

That is a good deal, I wonder how hard it is to get the drive out of the enclosure?

I would not try to take the drive out of the enclosure. It would be cheaper and easier to buy an internal drive.

And the drive is integrated into the box; its got a funky power button that you can use to measure (sort of) how much space is used on the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts