FOR SALE 500GB hard drive

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I salvaged the internal hard drive from a ViP722k receiver. So, it could be used as a replacement internal hard drive for another 722 receiver or for a Hopper Duo. Alternatively, it could be used as an external hard drive if you put it in an external powered case and reformat it. The first reasonable offer will be accepted.

IF it's the original drive that came with the receiver from Dish, hook it to a pc, and try to access it. Because you likely can't, with an original drive. The firmware was changed so it won't spin up just connected to a pc. There used to be a way to reflash them, so that they'd be activated by any pc, but I don't know if that still exists.

Agreed, better hook it up and make sure it is working before you try and sell it. ;)

IF it's the original drive that came with the receiver from Dish, hook it to a pc, and try to access it. Because you likely can't, with an original drive. The firmware was changed so it won't spin up just connected to a pc. There used to be a way to reflash them, so that they'd be activated by any pc, but I don't know if that still exists.
That might explain why it didn't work when I tried putting it in a powered case to attempt to use it as an external hard drive for a Wally. I bought a really cheap case from Amazon, so I thought it was just a bad case. After that, I did not want to sink any more money into the project, so I gave up. I will include this case at no additional cost to whoever buys the hard drive, so you can see if you can get it to work.

As for the hard drive itself, I know it was still working when it was in the ViP722k. That receiver failed with a different problem. I also know that the internal hard drive from a ViP722k can be used as an internal hard drive in a Hopper Duo, since I have done that successfully before. After you install the drive, when you turn the receiver on, it will prompt you to let it reformat the drive. When it is done reformatting, the replacement drive works just fine. So, if anyone wants this as just a replacement for the internal drive, or as a spare just in case their internal drive fails, it might be a good investment. I will let it go, cheap! I have no further use for it, so I thought that maybe someone here could use it.

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)