501/508 EPG Problems

Now, I would say you have bad satellite tuner chip in the 508, it's well known issue.
The OP said he started with a 501, had it replaced with another 501, and is now running a 508.
Seems odd the same problem would plague him through all three PVRs.

501's were known for a bad tuner chip.
I've never seen nor heard of a 508 with a bad one - they changed to a new (pin-compatable) with the 508's and used it in the 510 as well.

Of course, with Echostar refurbs, I suppose anything is possible. :shh

I give up

Well, I give up and will see what Dish has to offer.

I found a piece of NEW RG-6 DSS cable in the attic left over from the installer. I connected it directly from the 508 to each of the four ports of the DPP44 and no odd transponders. This was a direct run of less than 25 feet with no barell connectors except for the one at the antenna base. I disconnected the DPP44 again and ran the cables from my 811 and 508 directly to the barell connectors (grounding lug) that Dish had installed from the twin DPP dish. Tried even swaping the 811 cable with the 508 cable. In all cases, the 811 is fine with good signals on all transponders and the 508 is flakey and cannot receive 119/18.

So thanks to all. If I have to pay for an installer to come, I just may take them up with the 622 $200 special even though the only HD I really enjoy is the local OTA and Discovery. It will cost me $25/month more but I will just deactivate the 508 and try to sell it (with my 6000) somehow. I don't particularly like e-bay

Maybe we can close this thread if the moderator choses since we have re-hashed much of this information. Again thanks for all the info that has been shared.

I guess Mr. Smith was right, the satellite tuner seems to be bad in your 508. I don't think there is a need to close the thread. It might help other people with similar problems.

Smith, I will try to find time to measure the DC output voltage so all can benefit. Leaving for Houston in a few hours, so may not get to it for a few days.

In the meantime, called Dish and they gave me two options. Send an installer for $49 (and parts???) or they will send 4th unit...so I chose to go for #4!!!

Guess what happened this morning. Did a 611 and noticed that 119/18 was glowing green (105+) , did a check switch and all came up. Did a 613 and no change in bootstrap nor software. While I was feeling lucky, I forced a guide download and the entire 9 day EPPG came in (only second time in two months of various receivers). Set my timers for next week and will see what happenes.

To measure the voltage (with the DPP44 loaded down) I will find a F type "T" if they make any such thing...otherwise I will open the case if I feel it won't show. Also I cannot 100% say that this receiver is an original 508 or just a modified 501 with a larger drive. The only markings is a fairly new looking stick on labels that say 508. Hope they are just not re-cycling someone's elses problems. I think Dish is basically honest, but the repair people in El Paso might be a little to quick to "re-certify" transient problem receivers. We will see what #4 does.

Again thanks to all and a good education discussion. At least I feel my cable is OK and that would have been a hell of a job to replace. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to tell the true attenuation roll off of the cable distribution without an expensive spectrum analyzer. Perhaps one of the "satellite finders" instruments might help (and might be affordable) but I am basically ignorant of their capabilities and limitations. I'll look for one while I am in HOuston.

Well, I give up and will see what Dish has to offer.

I found a piece of NEW RG-6 DSS cable in the attic left over from the installer. I connected it directly from the 508 to each of the four ports of the DPP44 and no odd transponders. This was a direct run of less than 25 feet with no barell connectors except for the one at the antenna base. I disconnected the DPP44 again and ran the cables from my 811 and 508 directly to the barell connectors (grounding lug) that Dish had installed from the twin DPP dish. Tried even swaping the 811 cable with the 508 cable. In all cases, the 811 is fine with good signals on all transponders and the 508 is flakey and cannot receive 119/18.

So thanks to all. If I have to pay for an installer to come, I just may take them up with the 622 $200 special even though the only HD I really enjoy is the local OTA and Discovery. It will cost me $25/month more but I will just deactivate the 508 and try to sell it (with my 6000) somehow. I don't particularly like e-bay

Maybe we can close this thread if the moderator choses since we have re-hashed much of this information. Again thanks for all the info that has been shared.
\I have the same problem I replaced by 501 functioning properly but with a bad hard drive, they sent me a new 501 that would never authorized channels than a 508, the 508 worked fine for 1 week and than had the exact same problem discribed here, after power reboot of everything I got it to work for one week and than it would give me aquiring signal on some channels and not download the quide, no rime or reason as to the channels, could get 106 but not 110, get 300 but not 301, get half the locals but not the other half so it is both 110 and 119 all the while my 622 works perfect. I have a DP34. They sent me another new 508 same problem, Swaped locations with the 622 same problem, disconnected the swith and hooked it up direct from the LNB (both ports) with out the 622 or switch same problem. I am about to give up. What fixed yours? Any of the channels that show aquiring signal you can pull up in point dish that sat and transponder and get a signal over 100, both 119-18 and 19 are signal of 122.

I do not have the answer, other than to say that Dish is comming on Monday to replace the LMB. I had noted with the cold weather here in East Texas, the 501/508 works perfectly, yet when the temperature goes above 55, the EPG does not work, nor several of the channels including the weather channel 214. I am reasonably sure this will solve my three month old problems with 5 different replacement receivers.

In your case I do not know, but I now doubt that any of the 501/508s were really bad. You might be able to get them to respond to a discounted service call and if you have had one in the past 90 days, it is usually a free follow up.

I do not have the answer, other than to say that Dish is comming on Monday to replace the LMB. I had noted with the cold weather here in East Texas, the 501/508 works perfectly, yet when the temperature goes above 55, the EPG does not work, nor several of the channels including the weather channel 214. I am reasonably sure this will solve my three month old problems with 5 different replacement receivers.

In your case I do not know, but I now doubt that any of the 501/508s were really bad. You might be able to get them to respond to a discounted service call and if you have had one in the past 90 days, it is usually a free follow up.

After reading this I installed an old Legacy LNB and hooked the cables directly to the 508, The 508 worked perfect, immediate download of the EPG and all channels present. Un-fortuately the legacy LNB will not work with my DP34 which I need for my 622 and 2nd dish for 61.5. Put back up the original and had the same issue, wierd that the 622 does not have the problem. Will call my satellite dealeer and get a new LNB and try it before a service call.

bad LNBs, you say?

...Was pretty sure it wasn't a bad tuner chip.

I remember a bad batch of LNBs a few years ago.
It even got reported on a Charlie Chat, I think.
Thought it might have been a dealer chat.

There were batches of DishPro Twins (110/119) LNBs that failed early and/or in the heat.

Okay , here we go. I found my notes...
During the first half of 2003, there were bad DP Twins, lot number: CCS 9601
Perhaps others can confirm.

That is on the sticker right below the "eyes", where it is a bit hard to see without getting right up to the unit and looking from behind the dish, or sticking your head between the dish and the LNB.

Not saying either of the posters with the failure have a unit from that batch, but if you -do-, you let Dish eat the entire charge, because they -know- about this problem!

Last edited:
You're right and there were also a lot of reports about bad DPP Twins. I even read that Dish Network drop one of the manufacturers of the DPP Twins for poor quality control.

For all those that have followed this thread for the past few months, THE PROBLEM HAS been solved. IT was the LMB, replaced today and all works fine.

BTW, a month ago I had all the Coax replaced directly from the DPP44 to the 501/508...I checked the open circuit voltage on three 508s and they all had mid 14 volts for odd channels and 21 volts with the even channels.

Today, I get all of my channels and it is 70 degrees out here now, my EPG downloaded perfectly and I am happy.