508 receiver

ladyharley

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
This is the 6 or 7th receiver that dish has replaced. Now, this one my timers are gone...the menu says info not available... did the check switch, unplugged the receiver, everything says it is okay, but it won't download the programming...of course Dish says we wiill send out a technician. I told them there is nothing wrong with my wiring and I am getting programming. any advice or tricks to get this to download. It won't allow me to use timers and again, my timers I had are gone. If I can't get this to work I will cancel my dish and get TIVO or something and watch shows online :-(

Get the technician out!!!!!!!!!! You probably have a problem if you have gone through 7 DVRs. If you don't have a problem the techbician will tell you, and should be on your side as far as getting a working replacement.

the menu says info not available... did the check switch, unplugged the receiver, everything says it is okay, but it won't download the programming... I told them there is nothing wrong with my wiring and I am getting programming...
:confused: Are you saying that the program guide won't download, but watching live channels are OK?

Hit Menu 6-1-3 and report what satellite locations your receiver is seeing.

Just as I figured....it magically appeared. I can't cancel the receiver their sending because according to them, 15 min after they entered the ship, they can't cancel. What a waste of money, no wonder programming keeps rising. 5 people I spoke with at level 2 tech support were kids that didn't know what they were doing.

I've done that.

I suspect you have a wiring problem, perhaps voltage drops or spikes. In any event, the 508s are OLD and may simply be beyond their useful life. Or at the least, susceptible to bad power more than new units.

Funny, after I complained everything went back to normal. I told them I will refuse to pay $5-$6 a month to watch TV with a DVR. I will cancel. The new TV's have great digital reception built in for local channels. The picture looks just like as if I was watching satellite. I don't watch the other garbage on dish anyway...the local channels have the most popular shows...the other channels are old and out of date reruns. I'm better off getting TIVO and record local that way and save myself a whole bunch of money. I'm not a couch potato. I can watch everything on the internet anyway for free. I watch movies on the net for free so why do I need to pay these ridiculous charges and deal with the stress I get calling those agents at dish. I called level 2 tech support and the guy did not know what he was doing...kept putting me on hold "I have to ask my supervisor"....LEVEL 2 TECH SUPPORT?????????????? omg

Sorry Ladyharley but it looks like DISH would also be better off without you. TiVo should cost $300-500 for a series 3 with the ATSC tuner built in and only $13 a month to subscribe to the service. But you can then be pissed at someone besides DISH.

Hmm sounds expensive. I bought a dvd recorder wit the tuner built in for less than 200. She is correct about a lot of the popular shows being ota, there really isnt much I would dvr from dish anyway.