522 dish remote - compatible with any a/v receiver?

Mission Control

Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Any, want to spend 200 - 500 on any a/v receiver that will work with my 522 remote so I can control volume. Anybody have a model?

Hi, welcome to satelliteguys!

I don't think there are that many av receivers that wont work with the 522, so you should be fine.

If you want my suggestion. I'd get a yamaha YHT home theater in box system. Just because that's what I got ;) They're very affordable, great quality and works just great

welcome to satellite guys. don't be a stranger here.

i have a denon and love it.

consumer reports ranks a certain panasonic model (don't remember which one) a best buy. they said it out performed an onkyo three times its price. i think the panasonic sold for 299. if you did a search on google for it you will probably find it.

I have a Denon 2805 Recvr - sounds amazing. Generic Denon code (2674) doesnt work on the 522. Korsjs, which code did you use to control your Denon? I just need to turn it on/off and chg volume.

I love the Dish remotes, the ones for my 522 and 510 have some of the best ergonomics around. But... not so good when it comes to compatibility. The seem to handle to volume chores with ease, but when it comes to handling other aspects of my Pioneer reciever, these remotes come up short. Specifically, I can't get my dish remote to change inputs on my reciever, allowing me to cycle through sat, DVD, game console, etc... So, I bought a One-For-All universal remote with PVR buttons for $15. Not as nice as the Dish remote, but it has more functionality.
Seriously, though... Don't spend that kind of money on a receiver based on whether or not a dish remote can control its volume. Get the best receiver you can afford, then deal with the remote separately. Worst-case-scenario - you have to purchase a universal remote.
By the way, I highly recomend the Pioneer VSX-D1014K for the top end of your price range, and the Onkyo 502 for the bottom end. Best receivers for their prices. Check out www.avsforum.com for receiver advise and www.remotecentral.com for remote control advise

It seems as if the universal remotes only handle IR - even top of line harmony etc, but then u can't change channels on the 522 cause it functions off the IR signal. I NEED a remote that does both volume change & channel change. Changing modes & devices & can live with on secondary remotes

I may be mistaken, but doesn't the TV 1 remote control the 522 by IR, or are both remotes RF? In any event, for basic volume functionality, I'm confident that the 522's remote will work with most any receiver out there. But, check the remote central website for the real experts in this arena. In any event, this should barely warrant consideration when purchasing a new A/V receiver compared to all the other factors to consider...

It doesn't. I bought an Onkyo at circuit city thinking that it would. No go. Here's my problem. With HDTV channels there must be a 10 decibel diff between HD & SD TV. Also the local chan. have wild sound differences & not having a volume control on the same unit as the channel control is an enormous nuisance. And let's face it, is there a real difference in quality between my budgeted 300 - 500 $ units? Maybe, but I'm so frustrated with this volume issue, I don't care, as long as it has 5.1 its copacetic.
From what Ive read, the button that's labeled SAT on the 522 remote & is what must be depressed to change channels on the 522 tuner & that is UHF. The other function buttons (TV, Aux etc) are IR & an universal remote would work rather nice with. Maybe it's me, but I need volume control & channel change control in one hand, otherwise I'd rather go back to a poor picture digital cable were I was able to do this.

Mission Control said:
From what Ive read, the button that's labeled SAT on the 522 remote & is what must be depressed to change channels on the 522 tuner & that is UHF. The other function buttons (TV, Aux etc) are IR & an universal remote would work rather nice with. Maybe it's me, but I need volume control & channel change control in one hand, otherwise I'd rather go back to a poor picture digital cable were I was able to do this.
It's only UHF on the TV2 remote. Unless your 522 is in a different room, a universal IR remote should work fine.

I apologize & I can see the confusion. I've just had the system installed & have a 522 in the kids room, the system I've been referring to is the 921 HD tuner thats in the living room.Again I apologize for the confusion

There are ways to program the 921 remote for volume & mute punch-through while in Sat mode. As long as the remote is capable of controlling the A/V receiver, follow the procedure in the remote manual to git-r-done.

As for the volume differences between HD and SD, it's actually not that, but the difference between PCM & DD. A few SD channels have Dolby Digital sound, which is "lower" than regular stereo sound.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts