522 Dishin'it up promo details

There really is no lease fee with Digital Home Advantage (DHA) and I don't understand why some are calling it that. It makes no difference if you purchase your own box or use the one they are giving you to use, you will pay the same monthly fees.
The programming fee on the first receiver on your account is always included in the monthly programming package. you only pay the extra programming fee for additional receivers beyond the first.
With the DVR-522 you will have to pay $4.99 per month for VOD no matter what.
There is no $5.99 charge for the second outlet connected to the 522 if you keep the phone line connected to the 522.
You must purchase the MIN package of top 60 with locals with DHA.
Current subscribers will have to pay $49 shipping and $50 install to upgrade to the DVR-522 but it will remain the property of Dish Network and you will have to return it if you cancel service.

The only adavantage of buying a 522 right now that I can see is you could possibly sell it latter on and recoup the purchase price.

I got my 522 for $139 shipped so at only $40 more that seems worth being able to sell the receiver for more than that in the future. The disadvantage would be if they were to swap it out for another receiver in which they would make us all lease in such a case of MPEG-4 swapouts. Another disadvantage is that you have no warranty on the receiver as in you wouldn't get a free replacement if you own it vs. having something that they own in which they would have to replace.

Hi everyone. I currently have a 510 and a 301 with the Top120, the HBO/Cinemax Package, and local channels. If I trade in the 510 and the 301 for a single 522 how will my bill change? Will I be paying more, less, or the same? By the way when I get the 522 it will be always be plugged directly in a phone wall jack. Thanks for the help.

I believe it would cost $5 more because you'd be leasing the box and I think that with Dish in it up, even if the 522 becomes your only box you'd still have to pay the $5, unlike the DHA promo where 1 box is included in a package price...

So since it would be the sam price, what you should do is keep the 301 and turn in just the 501, that way you'd get 2 DVR rooms and still have the same price as you currently have (because the 301 is a primary box and wouldn't cost extra monthly.

If you have a 522 to replace your 301 and 510 then you would save $5 on your additional outlet fee but have to pay $5 more on your bill because of the lease fee if that in fact is going to be charged to everyone leasing this receiver.

I have seen some attractive 522 pricing on ebay but some sellers had a warning that if purchased Dish may refuse to activate . So I called Dish and the rep confirmed that since I am a current subscriber that they would not activate . Also that since I have been such a good customer and not eligible for the promotion that I could not obtain a 522 from them as well !!
As the logic of this escaped me so I had her confirm this with her supervisor which she did several times . I am currently awaiting an Email reply from Dish on this situation

sbrinck said:
I have seen some attractive 522 pricing on ebay but some sellers had a warning that if purchased Dish may refuse to activate . So I called Dish and the rep confirmed that since I am a current subscriber that they would not activate . Also that since I have been such a good customer and not eligible for the promotion that I could not obtain a 522 from them as well !!
As the logic of this escaped me so I had her confirm this with her supervisor which she did several times . I am currently awaiting an Email reply from Dish on this situation

Email the above address and get the ball rolling. I got my 522 off ebay and activated it within 5 days.

sbrinck said:
I have seen some attractive 522 pricing on ebay but some sellers had a warning that if purchased Dish may refuse to activate . So I called Dish and the rep confirmed that since I am a current subscriber that they would not activate .

As long as the unit hasn't been rented, you can activate it. It will require you to send an email to CEO@echostar.com like the others have told you.

I bought my unit off Ebay. Within 15 minutes of my email I got a call and we got the unit activated at that point. The key is the unit being new and not rented, otherwise you would be screwed.

Jack

Thanks for the replys

I assumed this was false even through Dish as usual could not confirm.
Also I will be returning a 811 as a result of aquiring the 522 .
I am sure this will be another customer service adventure
Thanks Again
Scott

I called on 1-31-05 to see where they stood with the promo. I'm looking to get rid of my 500 and 301 in lieu of the 522. The CSR I talked to said that she had no infomation on the promo. Nothing like keeping your people informed.

Earlier yesterday I talked to a tech to make sure the setup I had was compliant with the 522 and asked her about the upgrade. She said she had heard of it and that it would be $50-100.

This is all strange to hear since when I called earlier in January, a CSR told me it would be $25 for self install and $30 for prof. install. I'll call later today (the tech suggested calling early afternoon so the changes were in the system) and do the order. I will post back here with results.

Went to www.dishnetwork.com today and logged into my account. The 522 is now on the list of Dish'n it up receivers. There weren't any details available there and I didn't feel like calling yet.

I'll probably call when I get home tonight and see what the deal ended up being.

Mike_H said:
Went to www.dishnetwork.com today and logged into my account. The 522 is now on the list of Dish'n it up receivers. There weren't any details available there and I didn't feel like calling yet.

I'll probably call when I get home tonight and see what the deal ended up being.

I'm on DHP with two 811's. I ordered the 522 this morning with no commitment and a $49 upgrade fee.

Hmm, we currently have a 501 and a 301 and DHA with Top 180. I just called to get upgraded to the 522 and they charged me $99 installation, and $49 upgrade, for a total of $148. This doesn't seem to fit with the expectations people seem to have in this forum - am I getting ripped off? :shocked

I just called and was offered $49 (preferred customer) plus $50 install.

$99 total. They said it had to be installed. Would not just send one.

Had to pass for now, $100 to lease a box.

I called this morning and was told by a rep that barely spoke english that since I did the upgrade to the 510 (around a year ago) that I could not get the 522 from them. I had to go to a local dealer. I wanted to talk to a supervisor and held for around 20 minutes and never got one.

Should I try again, send an email to ceo@echostar.com, or call the local vendor? I spend >$100 a month with them so I would think they would want to keep me in the latest gear.

I just ordered the 522 promo. Here's the details:
$ 5.00 monthly fee
$ 4.95 Dish Video On Demand fee
$49.00 upgrade fee
$50.00 install fee

The first CSR I spoke to said the promotion did not exist. Then she said I did not qualify. I asked to speak to a manager, I got another CSR.

The second CSR got the fees right but told me if I was replacing a reciever there would be no install fee.

The 3rd CSR (when I called to place the order) told me the install fee was not optional.

anyone call a local dealer to see if they could just bring in their old box and swap them out with a 522? I thought that might be better if you don't want to have someone install.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts