522 Dishin'it up promo details

I get some customers in the past from time to time that get mad at me because these new customers get all these new deals and act like I ripped them off and so forth. They feel abandoned/worthless/not important/not an asset to the company.

Dishpro66 said:
I bought a new work truck a yr ago. I did my research, and found the best purchase for my dollar. Now, the same truck is available for 0% financing. SO....... do I go back to The Salesman, The Dealer, The Manufacturer.... and tell them I now EXPECT them to offer the current DEAL.......... OF COURSE NOT !!!! Promotions are PROMOTIONS..... intended to GAIN NEW CUSTOMERS ! ! !

That's a horrible comparison.

The reason for the mandatory installation fee is that most customers do not have a current installation that is compatible to the 522/322 receivers. The 522/322 receivers require two lines from the dish/switch to the receiver and then one line to TV 1 and one line to TV 2 . In some situations you can use diplexers to combine the TV 2 signal with one of your sat in lines to a point where you diplex them back out to single lines, however I have found that diplexers are prone to failure and prefer not to use them if possible.

If they did allow you to install it yourself and it was installed wrong and believe me a lot of them would be they would then charge you for a trouble call to send a tech to your house. Once the tech got there he would have the option of charging you for a re-install since you waived the initial one...so it's cheaper for most people to just pay for the install.

Once again I realize that this situation does not apply to everyone and some people do have the proper installation/equipment on hand to just swap out receivers, however determining that over the phone is nearly impossible.

wony said:
I don't know if this is a good idea for anyone, but I've purchased a new DVR 522 from ebay for $200...

I think this beats paying for all the startup and installation, and the monthly lease and DVR fees. So, if you are current customer, leasing the 322 receiver, I recommend purchasing the 522 at ebay, hook it up and activate it yourself. Pay $200 up front and don't pay the lease and DVR fee for a lifetime -- much better deal!!

For certain people this may be a better deal. I'd be curious to have you confirm that you are avoiding any fees. Unless you have the AEP package, I'm not aware that you can avoid a DVR fee on any of the latest generation of DVR receivers. So you don't avoid the DVR fee.

And if the receiver is the only one on your account, yes you dodge the lease fee as you are not leasing the receiver. But if it's a second receiver on your account, you should be getting charged the additional receiver fee. If you lease the 522, there is no addtional receiver fee. Just the lease fee. (The lease fee is $0.02 more than the extra receiver fee)

And with the lease there are some fixed receiver repair fees. $14.95 if the receiver needs to be swapped out. $99 if the problem requires an on-site visit to resolve. I don't know if that is standard for all receivers. But it is what I was told when I orderd the 522 lease.

Dish wants it done right the first time and if someone is serious enough about wanting a 522 they figure they will pay the money upfront. Also in many cases an additional switch is required to hookup the dual tuner receiver. Getting the money upfront helps make up for some of those costs.

Did anybody else notice that the 942 is included in the Dishin'it up offer? I just read the extremely small fine print this morning, and was surprised...

Just my opinion

Stargazer said:
I get some customers in the past from time to time that get mad at me because these new customers get all these new deals and act like I ripped them off and so forth. They feel abandoned/worthless/not important/not an asset to the company.

But I feel it is very fair for me to be upset that new equipment comes out and it is ONLY offered to NEW subscribers. What is the point of that? Of course I'm probably madder than most, as I've been a subscriber for over a year, and off contract, and STILL can't get the 522, even if I want it, although it seems everyone else in the world can get it. And that's even while working with someone from the CEO program.

I'm currently leasing a 510 from Dish. From what I've read on this thread I should be able to send this back to them and then start a new lease with the 522. The 522 should cost $4.98 for the VOD fee, plus an extra $5 a month to lease it. Up front of course is the $99 I'll have to pay...for a leased machine :rolleyes:.

My big question is this. I have a broadband phone and I'm wondering if this will work with the DVR. I don't want to pay another stupid $5 fee if I don't have to. Does anyone here know if a broadband phone will work with the 522?

kbohip said:
I'm currently leasing a 510 from Dish. From what I've read on this thread I should be able to send this back to them and then start a new lease with the 522. The 522 should cost $4.98 for the VOD fee, plus an extra $5 a month to lease it. Up front of course is the $99 I'll have to pay...for a leased machine :rolleyes:.

My big question is this. I have a broadband phone and I'm wondering if this will work with the DVR. I don't want to pay another stupid $5 fee if I don't have to. Does anyone here know if a broadband phone will work with the 522?

I have Vonage and the Phone Line test on my 522 came up fine.

CrunchSA said:
I have Vonage and the Phone Line test on my 522 came up fine.
All the phone line test does is check for dialtone. But yes the 522 can dialout on vonage.
Packet8 will not work. It will pass the dialtone test but will fail to connect when dialing out.
I have both.

n0qcu said:
All the phone line test does is check for dialtone. But yes the 522 can dialout on vonage.
Packet8 will not work. It will pass the dialtone test but will fail to connect when dialing out.
I have both.

Thanks for the info :(. It looks like I'll be getting a 721 off Ebay now to avoid the ridiculous $5 a month no phone fee. This sort of nonsense makes me want to switch to DirecTv or even cable again.

hmm, I like the caller id and the caller id history in the 522 so I don't mind the connecting it. I'm going to purchase a phone extender to get caller id on my 510 that is upstairs soon.

Just got the 522 installed this morning. Very smart and savy dish tech came out and got right to work just 45 minutes after the begining of the 8am to 12pm window. He installed a 3rd line to connect to another output off of my legacy Quad LNB that was now open due to my inactivation of a 2800 and 4900 receiver.

I'll be using it mostly in single tv mode as the second receiver feeds my 3 season porch. At this time of the year, in Minnesota, that area isn't used regularly.

The guide has yet to update itself with a full guide of my local channels, something I figure it will do overnight. Thus far, it's all good to go.

Well, I jumped in and my 522 was installed this afternoon. So far I like what I have played with. Let's give it a week and see how it performs.

Kevin,

I noticed your sig - do you really have all those receivers on your account?

The reason why I ask is that I currently have 2 510's and 1 522 (all from the lease deal last fall). I have just purchased a 522 off eBay (luckily it was from a guy locally) and want to add it to my setup.

It's been a long time since I ever heard what the maximum # of receivers is for a home account.

THanks.

-DC

n0qcu said:
I have both.

tracyt said:
I have had mine just over a week, and even my wife really likes all of the features. No glitches so far. :yes

I've had my 522 since tuesday, three lockups. For some reason the favorite list are not working properly on both tuners, although it's possible that switching back and forth between single and dual modes are the reason.

For some reason Tuner#2's favorites list keeps getting corrupted and has to be redone.

These are very minor, love the new features my 510 didn't have, Two Hour, buffer, TWO TUNERS, and PIP. The new UI is nice as well. I can now view my DVR events on either TV. The 522 spends about equal time in Single as well as Dual Mode.

John

sbrinck said:
After trying to make CS person rationalize on how this promotion sucks .
I brought one on Ebay $130.00 plus shipping the fact that I don't have to sit at home all day waiting for dish installer to plug in priceless !!

Hooked up the 522 late this week and just started to admire the functions. The UHF remote was DOA but a call to Dish had a new one here in two days . The 6.0 remote also out performs the 501s by a big margin . The 522 is in the basement theater and the family room is on the other side of the house. With the stock remote you had to wave it around trying to locate a sweet spot.
If you have this kind of issue upgrade you will thank me . The manual is as lame as the 501. Is it correct that you can DVR two channels in the same time period ? The customizable guide is cool. The fact that my Kids can watch Animal Planet and I can watch whatever has allready paid for itself . The down side is no more HD the 811 is going back to Dish. But I am sure I will have a OTA HD tuner by the time football returns and I almost forgot
I am now" lease free"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)