522 DVR no power

Rebelfan83

Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
West Monroe, La
I have a 522 receiver. When you turn it on...the green light comes on, you hear the hard drive running, then the light turns off and no signal.
Wondering if the power supply has died.

When the HDD (hard disk drive) dies, the unit will attempt to repair it. that failing it will revert to a standard tuner with no HDD, no need to disconnect HDD inside (part of dish's design in case of HDD failure).

Well the power supply is obviously working, hence the lights. If the hard drive is dead, you should still get something on screen. How is it connected to the TV?

make sure that it is plugged directly into the wall with no surge protector in the way. also use a circuit tester on your outlet to make sure your home is wired correctly.

Whenever I roll out to a TC with this issue... 80% of the time one of those is the problem.

I have a 522 receiver. When you turn it on...the green light comes on, you hear the hard drive running, then the light turns off and no signal.
Wondering if the power supply has died.

First things first, the green light is coming on so there is some sort of power going through the receiver. What we do not know is what is causing this issue. The person telling you to open the case and take out the HDD isn't too far off base however be advised that if you break the case open and end up needing an RA'd receiver, you'll get charged for damage whether or not it looks good. Take the receiver off a power strip if you have one, directly into the wall socket. If the same problem happens, take the coaxial cables out of the sat in 1 and 2 locations and do another hard reset (unplugging for 3 minutes and plugging back in to power) if it cycles through signal loss at this point you know that is it more than likely a grounding issue and you should have a tech come out. If it does the same thing, unhook it, take it into another room and plug it into a known working outlet. If the problem is resolved there, get an electrician out to your home quickly.

make sure that it is plugged directly into the wall with no surge protector in the way. also use a circuit tester on your outlet to make sure your home is wired correctly.

Whenever I roll out to a TC with this issue... 80% of the time one of those is the problem.

Why would you roll a truck for this issue? If you have the person do the above steps with you on the phone, you'll save endless amounts of time and money that could be spent in other areas. If it's truly power failure, RA. If it's not and it's a home issue that isn't grounding, let the customer know.

Why would you roll a truck for this issue? If you have the person do the above steps with you on the phone, you'll save endless amounts of time and money that could be spent in other areas. If it's truly power failure, RA. If it's not and it's a home issue that isn't grounding, let the customer know.

I don't get a choice.. some cust has an issue and calls.. then some dumbass csr generates a TC instead of trouble shooting for 5 minutes... then some inept router sends me to the cust even though it is almost an hour away from my previous job.. and if the cust is home it takes longer to do the paperwork than to fix the issue....

and i always hear the same thing.... why didn't the guy on the phone tell me to try that... to which my response is always "because I'm better at my job than he is at his"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)