522 L2.07 Update

I hated the 'LOST LOCK' screen. It took my 5 hours of Stargate every monday and chopped it into several ransom sized DVR chunks. I quit recording Screensavers for that very same issue.

I hope that is one of the BIG fixes.

L2.07

Is anybody able to get the Customer support option working, now that it has been un-grayed with the latest fw?

Mine seems to work till a certain point but it eventually gives me a 'No network connection' message.

What's strange is that it works just fine on my 811 downstairs so it is not a problem of phone line, dish or what have you but just the receiver.

Thanks

I just checked it out. I got the customer support app to load ok. It dialed out and connected. I was able to view my current balance, but when I went to view the detailed activity, it reported that it couldn't access the info.

Might be a connection or server thing. I don't know. In the past, I've had a DSL filter that was going bad cause errors in when I dial-up with a modem device on the same line.

So far playback seems better with this one, im going to load up the hard drive with about 80 hrs and see how it acts then.

DSL filter

Mark_AR said:
I just checked it out. I got the customer support app to load ok. It dialed out and connected. I was able to view my current balance, but when I went to view the detailed activity, it reported that it couldn't access the info.

Might be a connection or server thing. I don't know. In the past, I've had a DSL filter that was going bad cause errors in when I dial-up with a modem device on the same line.

Good tip. I tried it without the DSL filter and still doesn't work. The 811 is connected thru a DSL filter and it works so I guess this is not my problem.

If you have DSL, you should have filters installed on the lines that the Dish receivers are connected to. Those filters will NOT affect (or should not) their operation.

Had a few sync problems last night so that's not quite fixed. Overall, 2.07/2.06 is still behaving better for me than previous 3 or 4 months worth of updates.

A question for you programmers out there. How hard should it be to get the 522 to work properly? It seems to be taking forever.

I've not considered the 522's situation, but it should NOT be hard. I've spent countless hours analyzing the 921, tho, and it's pretty obvious that there aren't any programmers working for E* - just people that call themselves programmers.

While we ARE talking about rocket science, it's NOT brain surgery.

Looking at the big picture, it simply appears that E* doesn't have a clue about how to deal with computers of ANY kind. The retailer activation system was "down for upgrades" for much of prime activity time Thursday and Friday. Their customer web site is deplorable. Their CSR's main system is a joke.

If they can't deal with even basic business systems, well ...

Sapient said:
A question for you programmers out there. How hard should it be to get the 522 to work properly? It seems to be taking forever.
Well... if they had it officially TuxCoded up, this subforum would be pretty quiet. Except, that is, for the occasional (extremely occasional) post congratulating E* on such a nice job. :)

Oh yeah and people explaining to others how they found out they could make their 522 give back massages, do the laundry, and walk the dog. All possible with the right shell scripting. :D

I haven't noticed a bit of difference since downloading the newest software. Does anybody know when the next Charlie Chat is. I can never seem to catch them. We need to get organized and all participate in the Charlie Chat's that way we can make sure they know how unsatisfied with the 522 we are.

Make sure to call and email Dish too. Their "programmers" won't even work on the 522s if we are not complaining.

gravy741 said:
I haven't noticed a bit of difference since downloading the newest software. Does anybody know when the next Charlie Chat is. I can never seem to catch them. We need to get organized and all participate in the Charlie Chat's that way we can make sure they know how unsatisfied with the 522 we are.
Actually, we ARE quite organized. :D Interactive chat room and summarized sticky threads. :)

Here's tonight's: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=34507

Dish actually called me to day to follow up on an email I had sent. They wanted more specifics about when my sound pauses.

Sapient said:
Dish actually called me to day to follow up on an email I had sent. They wanted more specifics about when my sound pauses.
I too was contacted by Dish regarding problems I've had. To be blunt, I could not have been any MORE impressed with their response to my complaints. This was not a "calm down this customer" bone thrown in my direction. We are talking engineers and managers very dedicated to solving these problems. Enjoyable to work with. Very intelligent. We spent quite a bit of time collecting information and working through the tracks of my problems.

I work in remote troubleshooting and maintenance of hardware/software on customer sites myself. This group of people from Dish were all sharp and asking exactly the type of questions I'd expect from those with strong design and troubleshooting experience.

From my personal viewpoint, my faith in Dish has been restored. I honestly believe a strong effort is being made to solve the problems, and I think that they will indeed be solved. Dealing with first line tech support at Dish is totally different from dealing with those who actually design/troubleshoot the product. This is probably true for many companies ... first line support is to deal with the large idiot population that makes up the majority of the customer base.

My asbestos underwear is on, so flame away. I'd be a hypocrit if I didn't acknowledge that I've previously engaged in some minor Dish bashing myself. However their curteous and intelligent response to my ranting email pretty much humbled me.

Wow, that's great to hear. I wish they'd call me - I'd like to tel them EXACTLY what the box is doing. It just kind of irks me that they claimed a fix, yet (for me anyway) it seemed to get a bit worse! Damn those audio dropouts!
Thanks for the note... and let's all keep our fingers crossed that the Dish Technical Team really DO know what they're doing and will actually fix the problems!

Haertig,

I have to agree with you. The person I talked to seemed both informed and interested. She actually asked questions that I could not answer off the top of my head, which says to me that they are actually working hard on the problem and trying to isolate them.

As for the latest software updates, I will say things are much better. While the 1-second audio drops are slightly more frequent, I have experienced no other problems. The audio/video synch has been perfect. I don't lose color anymore. The sound does not simply go away anymore. I have not had a guide of death in a long time.

I may have had a couple shows record that I did not set up timers for, but I can't be sure that my wife or I did not do something by accident. As things are right now, I would have no problems recommending the 522 to friends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts