522 L2.07 Update

Sapient said:
A question for you programmers out there. How hard should it be to get the 522 to work properly? It seems to be taking forever.

Having worked on specialized processors / systems over the past 30 years, mostly in asssembler (very effiicient & fast execution, but not something every person can or would do), that has been my question since changing from DirectTV to Dish. The bugs in their software, the lack of user interface (channels are presented in number order ONLY?, etc.) makes me wonder what talent pool they are working from. It should NOT be difficult at all to make the 522 work fast, dependably, and accurately, however, it seems that this has never been a priority where E* is concerned. Oh, well, am moving in the spring, and if this is the level of service that E* deems accceptable, will be going right back to DirectTV (although being bought out by the owners of the Fox networks does scare the hell out of me!)

-Mike

Still dropouts and freezes

I've been having a lot of freezes and squeaks the last few days.

Good signal - clear days.

I've noted it more when I rewind a current feed several minutes (Nothing recording in the background) after watching the delayed feed for a while, the freezes and audio squeaks start.

Rewinding to the same point doesn't produce the result in the same exact place. So it isn't in the signal being decoded by the tuner. If I go to 'live TV' and then rewind again, it might be good for a few or up to 10 minutes.

Never reproducable in the same exact place.

Mike0616 said:
mostly in asssembler
We're few and far in between, Mike...

Me:
IA32 (of course)
Z80 ("cute" little assembly)
PDP-11 (great instruction set design!)

But enough OT stuff, and hope I don't get chastised for calling the Z80 "cute" :eek:

And welcome to SatelliteGuys.us! :)

TuxCoder said:
But enough OT stuff, and hope I don't get chastised for calling the Z80 "cute" :eek:
Heck, back in MY day, we didn't even have assemblers initially. I remember being in school with my little "instruction set card" for the 8008 (?) looking up what I wanted to do, and then entering F8 C2 35 1D ... MANUALLY. Halfway through the semester they enlightened us to a great timesaving tool called an "assembler". Wow - that was cool! I don't do assembly code anymore however.

p.s. - I thought the Z80 was the "cutest" of the available processors as well.

haertig said:
Heck, back in MY day, we didn't even have assemblers initially. I remember being in school with my little "instruction set card" for the 8008 (?) looking up what I wanted to do, and then entering F8 C2 35 1D ... MANUALLY.
That's how I program my PDP-11's in my house (/34a and /73) except it's all OCTAL, no luxury of modern-day HEX :p. After about a day, no reference card needed anymore as its opcodes were designed to have such nice logical patterns (they say it's "orthogonal" but I don't know what that means with respect to an instruction set...).

The 522 with L2.07 runs more like a PDP-11/34a now. :(
(cheap ploy to try to make this post on topic)

LOL - you guys - thinking microporcessors are 'old'. :D

"My" native (first) assembler language has designed in the early '60s (IBM 360) - way before DEC came up with the PDP-8 let alone -11. And guess what - it's usual notation is HEX, and it's opcodes and instruction formats are also very logical - exquisitely so.

Kinda nice you still have those old PDP-11 toys. I might still have some of the docs for them around here somewhere.

Modem

hall said:
If you have DSL, you should have filters installed on the lines that the Dish receivers are connected to. Those filters will NOT affect (or should not) their operation.

Well, now I do not get an out line phone signal at all and an annoying screen pops up saying that I will be charged an extra 4.99/month if the receiver is not connected to a phone line :(

I called CS and they will be replacing my 522 with a new one as they think that the modem is defective. It worked fine for the last year, though.

Mizio said:
I called CS and they will be replacing my 522 with a new one as they think that the modem is defective. It worked fine for the last year, though.

That's always their answer. They are very quick to rule receivers defective. They've tried to replace mine 3 times and it was only installed September 17.

Since I got the 2.07 update, my DVR has started recording only the 1st 4 minutes of several of the shows I had flagged for Mon-Fri recordings. Deleting the timers and adding them again isn't helping. Rebooting doesn't help. Any suggestions?

I've encountered a few bugs I don't think I've seen mentioned anywhere. Mine is a new box so 2.07 was my initial download when I installed it. Therefore I don't know whether these bugs existed before.

1. Recording two shows simultaneously. Didn't want to watch either of those so from TV1, chose DVR, selected a previously recorded program, chose to start it. The "please wait - acquiring satellite signal - progress 1 of 5" box came up. It went thru 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 4, 3 ... by this time I did a power-button reboot during a commercial break of the most important of the two shows that were recording. After reboot, both recordings continued. I am not sure why it would need to "acquire satellite signal" to play back a previous recording, but I'm guessing it was going to sit there till one or both tuners were done with their recording.

2. I've noticed sometimes with the UHF Pro remote for TV2, either page up or page down in the guide sometimes thinks it's info, so the program description pops up instead of the guide scrolling.

3. The Switch Summary only has room for four satellite locations, even if five are connected. All five do show up in the detail and all are viewable.

4. Not a bug as such, I guess I'm just spoiled by my old 721. Guide scrolling is slow and the fonts are too big, everything is scrunched together. There are a few screens, the DVR recordings list for example, that need serious redesign work.

So... anybody know when the next bugfix comes out?

Pepper said:
2. I've noticed sometimes with the UHF Pro remote for TV2, either page up or page down in the guide sometimes thinks it's info, so the program description pops up instead of the guide scrolling.

This is usually caused by interference on the channels that your remote is operating on. Try changing the chanel (read the manual) and this should be solved.

mrschwarz said:
This is usually caused by interference on the channels that your remote is operating on. Try changing the chanel (read the manual) and this should be solved.

He means the remote address as it called in the manual.

mrschwarz said:

Thanks, I'll try that.

Meantime, is there an "official" place to log all the bugs or problem reports, and any word on upcoming releases?

Pepper said:
Thanks, I'll try that.

Meantime, is there an "official" place to log all the bugs or problem reports, and any word on upcoming releases?

Only official place I know of is to call DISH and tell them.

Change the UHF remote from channel 1 and you'll be fine.

That thing annoyed my parents so much we were about to quit, and then i ran across this thread and boom, fixed! So much better

I've changed the remote address to 31 and haven't seen the described behavior since.

I have discovered a new bug today. I've been having lots of trouble scrolling forward & backward in the guide, if I skip forward a few days, say 12/06, then try to navigate backward all of a sudden I am on 12/23 with No Info Available. Very strange, and I think related to this, I found a few weird timers that nobody can remember creating, it looks like we tried to create a timer for something but the time got shifted similar to what is happening above. I know I did not want to record "Paid Programming" on PAX at 3am Tuesday. I did want to record Sue Thomas F.B.Eye at 8pm Wednesday though and it is not scheduled.

I will be trying a reboot later today to see if it fixes the guide.

Pepper said:
I've changed the remote address to 31 and haven't seen the described behavior since.

I have discovered a new bug today. I've been having lots of trouble scrolling forward & backward in the guide, if I skip forward a few days, say 12/06, then try to navigate backward all of a sudden I am on 12/23 with No Info Available. Very strange, and I think related to this, I found a few weird timers that nobody can remember creating, it looks like we tried to create a timer for something but the time got shifted similar to what is happening above. I know I did not want to record "Paid Programming" on PAX at 3am Tuesday. I did want to record Sue Thomas F.B.Eye at 8pm Wednesday though and it is not scheduled.

I will be trying a reboot later today to see if it fixes the guide.

Ditto .

Here's some exact details if somebody can help me figure it out.

The wife wants me to record "Hey Remember Christmas" on Sunday 12/5 at 4PM CST on HGTV. I search, there it is. Press Select, it prompts me to create a DVR event for "Holiday Windows" on Monday 12/6 at 11pm on HGTV.

This is after a power-cord pull reboot.

This is getting very frustrating. At least it's the right channel. :mad:

I guess the only sure-fire way to get something recorded is to actually be there and push the button when it's on?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)