522 L2.36 Release Notes

The new L236 on our 522 causes the need for a reboot after we look at the system info. Otherwise it goes into an 015 mode, which makes it look like it is searching for a signal. Looking at system info isn't critical, but the change does leave you scratching your head until you figure out how to get back to normal operation. The audio sync problem appears to be vastly improved, which is worth the difference.

522 glitch

The L236 upgrade appears to have induced a new glitch. When you try to leave the sysinfo screen, it causes our 522 to go into search (015) mode, and you can't resume normal operation without a reboot. It did appear to vastly improve the audio lag problem, however. If I had to accept a tradeoff, I'd pick this one, anyway.

I woke up this morning with a dead 522 - no bouncing dish logo, no daily 5:30am timer kicking in. In unplugged it and plugged it back in and it fired up. Whew. Then I noticed I had the new software.

Still no option to set default program padding to zero :( I also noticed the Program Enhancements (or whatever the name is) is set to "Disabled" by default.

Having a default program padding to zero will not matter on the 522, 625 and 942 like it will on the 721 and 921 (501, 508, 510 for now) because they have name based recordings. When a reciever has name based recordings the padding is automatically deleted when a second recording at the same time is detected preventing one of the timers to be missed due to the padding.

Stargazer said:
When a reciever has name based recordings the padding is automatically deleted when a second recording at the same time is detected preventing one of the timers to be missed due to the padding.
This is definitely NOT the case with my 522. If I use NBR to record three shows, one after another on the same channel, they will always go to TV2, TV1, and then TV2 again. Thus tieing up two tuners when one seems sufficient. I can manually force them to the same tuner only by messing with the before and after paddings so there is no overlap. Lately I've just been going full manual timers to get around the problem - creating one timer to catch all three shows. This is not so great a workaround because you have to do some guessing looking at the DVR shows listing to figure out where everything is grouped.

If you've found a better way to efficiently use these tuners so they don't flop from TV2 to TV1 needlessy - PLEASE TELL ME! I am in dual mode with that Record Plus thing enabled, and always schedule from TV1. I really don't want to use single mode unless that's the only way. Both tuners are often used by different people watching different things.

Thanks

It only gets rid of the padding if both tuners are scheduled to record programs at the same time and if you didn't change the default 1min/3min padding when you set up the timer.

Bottom line, the timers still add an extra 4 minutes of unneeded programming and hard drive space to each recording unless you use about 10 keystokes to change each timer. I have the patience to do that, but when my wife records a show, she does it as simple as possible. Thus we have 34 minutes of every episode of "Meet the Barkers" :rolleyes:

haertig said:
This is definitely NOT the case with my 522. If I use NBR to record three shows, one after another on the same channel, they will always go to TV2, TV1, and then TV2 again. Thus tieing up two tuners when one seems sufficient.
I actually prefer it that way. When it does the recording with one tuner (such as when the other tuner is tied up on another channel) you end up with the end of one show on next show's recording or vice versa. I don't really care that it recorded 3 minutes of the same thing. It's not that big a deal.

Dish needs to add an "already in progress" feature.

Since timers already have priorities it seems a simple solution to the overlap issue would be to offer a pre-emption option in the preferences or as a timer conflict resolution option. If enabled this feature would cause timers to be pre-empted or delayed based on their priorities.

For example, say you have the following timers waiting to go. All timers have 1/3 padding.

1) Starts at 09:00, ends at 10:00 and has priority 1.
2) Starts at 10:00, ends at 11:00 and has priority 3.
3) Starts at 10:30, ends at 12:00 and has priority 2.

Since 1 and 2 overlap the software will examine the priorities, see timer 1 is higher and continue recording it until completion. Once it finishes timer 2 will fire.

The overlap between 2 and 3 would be opposite. Since timer 3 has higher priority timer 2 would be ended early and timer 3 would be started. Timer 3 impends upon timer 2 with more than just padding, but with this feature the user doesn't have to decide which timer won't go at all, they just get as much of each as possible, based on priority.

This would only be used in cases where the other tuner isn't being used. If the other tuner is available the software should just use it.

This rather mimics the way a person would normally watch a single-tuner television. They make a decision whether to switch when the new show starts or wait until the current show ends based on which one is more important to them.

To make everyone happy there probably needs to be three choices on how to handle timer conflict resolution:

1) Honor established padding via tuner switching/stealing.

2) Remove padding (either automatically or manually.) It would be nice for the software to say, "These timers overlap, but if I remove the automatic padding they don't, so I'll record them without padding!"

3) Priority based timer preemption.

Option 3 also helps in the case where a live show runs long and there's no one around to tell the receiver what to do. It should just delay a subsequent timer until the live show completes. This assumes they begin supporting live show overruns.

I can guarantee I'll have the priority for the Superbowl set to 1. :)

"We now resume our regularly scheduled programming, already in progress."

CygnusTM said:
...you end up with the end of one show on next show's recording or vice versa. I don't really care that it recorded 3 minutes of the same thing. It's not that big a deal.
I actually prefer the overlap too. Here's the scenerio that causes me problems (don't laught at the specific shows - they're for the wife!)

Sat night, channel 9, Law and Order at 7pm, 8pm, and 9pm
Sat night, channel 7, Desperate Housewives occassionally at 8pm

You'd think with two tuners to cover the two channels this would be simple. But you really have to mess around with the before/after minutes to force all those Law and Orders over to a single tuner so the second tuner can pick up Desperate Housewives. Setting the first show's AFTER to zero, the second's BEFORE and AFTER to zero, and the third's BEFORE to zero. If I remember correctly, I also had to schedule Desperate Housewives first, so it would lock in a tuner, thus leaving no other option for the Law and Orders except to use the same tuner. What a mess!

I fail to see why they can't implement a "same channel, back to back shows = same tuner" strategy. Even the before/after minutes could be handled with the single tuner. For a few minutes you'd be having the AFTER of the first show and the BEFORE of the second spooling off to TWO different places on disk, but what's so hard about that? Give me the ability to choose and lock in a specific tuner, force overrides of before/after minutes, etc. When Disk tries to schedule everything for you and pick the tuners, they're pretty bad at maximizing their efficiency. Shows end up being skipped that shouldn't really have to be skipped.

garee said:
Since timers already have priorities it seems a simple solution to the overlap issue would be to offer a pre-emption option in the preferences or as a timer conflict resolution option. If enabled this feature would cause timers to be pre-empted or delayed based on their priorities.

For example, say you have the following timers waiting to go. All timers have 1/3 padding.

1) Starts at 09:00, ends at 10:00 and has priority 1.
2) Starts at 10:00, ends at 11:00 and has priority 3.
3) Starts at 10:30, ends at 12:00 and has priority 2.

Since 1 and 2 overlap the software will examine the priorities, see timer 1 is higher and continue recording it until completion. Once it finishes timer 2 will fire.

The overlap between 2 and 3 would be opposite. Since timer 3 has higher priority timer 2 would be ended early and timer 3 would be started. Timer 3 impends upon timer 2 with more than just padding, but with this feature the user doesn't have to decide which timer won't go at all, they just get as much of each as possible, based on priority.

This would only be used in cases where the other tuner isn't being used. If the other tuner is available the software should just use it.

This rather mimics the way a person would normally watch a single-tuner television. They make a decision whether to switch when the new show starts or wait until the current show ends based on which one is more important to them.

To make everyone happy there probably needs to be three choices on how to handle timer conflict resolution:

1) Honor established padding via tuner switching/stealing.

2) Remove padding (either automatically or manually.) It would be nice for the software to say, "These timers overlap, but if I remove the automatic padding they don't, so I'll record them without padding!"

3) Priority based timer preemption.

Option 3 also helps in the case where a live show runs long and there's no one around to tell the receiver what to do. It should just delay a subsequent timer until the live show completes. This assumes they begin supporting live show overruns.

I can guarantee I'll have the priority for the Superbowl set to 1. :)

"We now resume our regularly scheduled programming, already in progress."

I have an easier solution, make every timer automatically not have the 4 minute cushion and if you want to add it yourself then you do. It seems to me that most people have no use for it. How many of us have went into menu hell to delete a timer and then re program it without the cushion. This is a case of software designers thinking we can't think for ourselves.

haertig said:
Here's the scenerio that causes me problems
Sat night, channel 9, Law and Order at 7pm, 8pm, and 9pm
Sat night, channel 7, Desperate Housewives occassionally at 8pm

The Above scenerio should not cause any problems if you have left the default padding alone.
The 522 is suppose to remove the padding automatically and all 4 shows would be recorded.

Are you saying you allowed the 522 to operate this way and it did not record all 4 shows?

If your issue is you want all the law and order shows on one tuner then the automatic padding removal won't always make that happen but all 4 shows should get recorded.