522 Stupid "slow motion" feature...

Slyster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Anyone else notice that this feature SUCKS and is useless? The only time I use slow mo is to slow something down and watch it very slow.. duh... but ever tried it on the 522? As soon as you pause it and click forward.. it jumps an unknown amount of time... completely skipping the thing I wanted to view slow. Unreal.. Makes the feature useless.

Slow works GREAT on our older 501... when you pause.. and hit the ff button.. it starts RIGHT there and goes frame by frame just like it should. Wonder why it doesn't on my more used 522?

It's always been like that on the 522. Personally, I never use the slo-mo, so I can't really complain...

A frame at a time, yes, but initially many frames are skipped. You pause on one frame, then when you hit the FF button the next frame that shows up is definitely not the next frame in the sequence, but a frame from some time later (seems almost a second). Then of course each subsequent frame that appears is correct with respect to the previous frame. This is always true on my 522. I've just gotten used to pausing a second or so too early.

Also it would be nice to get rid of the constant progress bar display when doing slow motion. Some times it blocks important stuff at the bottom. Maybe only show it for a couple seconds after you press a button (i.e. change slow motion speeds, change direction, etc.).

You can do this by hitting the "Skip Fwd" button after hitting pause, repeatedly hitting the "Skip Fwd" button will advance one frame or "Skip back" to go back one frame at a time.

Mike H

TuxCoder said:
Also it would be nice to get rid of the constant progress bar display when doing slow motion. Some times it blocks important stuff at the bottom. Maybe only show it for a couple seconds after you press a button (i.e. change slow motion speeds, change direction, etc.).

YES! I have learned the FIX! Just hit pause.. which works.. then click the commercial skip button (to forward one frame).. and THEN you can start slow motion forward or reverse and it won't jump.. it will work as it SHOULD then.

Wow. I didn't realize people didn't know about that. I've been using that technique since I got my 522 last year.

dfergie said:
Is this new Chaddux or has this been enabled since day one?

The slow motion feature? I haven't been with DISH Network since "day one" of the 522 but I was using it during football games so I've been using it since at least November/December. I got my 522 in September but didn't know about it right away. I can't remember how I came to know about it.

dfergie said:
Learn something new everyday... good find. I don't use my slo-mo that much on my 501 or my 921... sometimes on Replay and its pretty much same as 921 feature wise.

It's really pretty neat for catching small details. For instance, I was watching an episode of SNL that I recorded and I kept thinking I saw something briefly flash on the screen. I used the slow-motion feature to see if I was going crazy. I'm not (!) but I couldn't figure out what it was. It was really dark and had red and green lights on it. Might have been an accidental shot of a camera or other piece of equipment.

dfergie said:
Learn something new everyday... good find. I don't use my slo-mo that much on my 501 or my 921... sometimes on Replay and its pretty much same as 921 feature wise.

It's really pretty neat for catching small details. For instance, I was watching an episode of SNL that I recorded and I kept thinking I saw something briefly flash on the screen. I used the slow-motion feature to see if I was going crazy. I'm not (!) but I couldn't figure out what it was. It was really dark and had red and green lights on it. Might have been an accidental shot of a camera or other piece of equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)