525 problem

Roy99664

Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Recently purchased a 525 DVR. The hard drive seems to run continually. Even when it is turned off. Never stops. If I uplug the unit for a couple of seconds and plug it back in, it's quiet for awhile then it will start running again. Is this normal, or do I have a defective unit? I realize it updates occasionally but this seems excessive and quite annoying in a small room.

Thanks,
Roy

Last edited:
If the drive has power, the platter of the drive will spin as it is constantly "working", even in standby. If you hear noises like there is an animal in there (as I have had it described to me before, "loud scratching") there may be an issue with the platter on the drive or the read/write "arm". If it is operating and doing everything it should and the noise is the only issue, I would say it is likely ok. If it becomes unbearable or drowns out TV audio, let me know and I will help you out.

There are no scratching noises, but I thought that if I turned the power button off, all noise should stop. Similar to a PC, makes noise on, silent off. Even if it's on standby.

AFAIK ALL Dish Network DVR's NEVER truly shut down because they have housekeeping duties, downloads, recordings, etc to do even while turned "off" - actually in stand-by mode.

check the temp of the case (shouldn't be much warmer thanambient temp). if it is overheating the fan will run continuous like you describe. check your cables and connections for any shorts (long stingers, water, cable braiding wrapped around stinger) any of these can reduce the life expectancy of your reciever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)