54 remote doesn't turn on soundbar

Chuck14

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
I have a Hopper3, Sharp TV, Yamaha Soundbar. The Hopper is connected to TV with HDMI. The soundbar is connected to TV's optical audio output. This is an older soundbar that has no HDMI passthrough ports, so optical or RCA cables are the only way to feed it audio input.

The Hopper is configured with HDMI-CEC on. When someone picks up the remote (54.1) and presses the power button, the Hopper and TV turn on as expected, but the soundbar does not. The soundbar is properly configured as the Aux device, and the volume buttons on the remote do operate the soundbar volume (via infrared) as desired. If I press the Aux button on the remote and then the power button, the soundbar does turn on, but I would like to eliminate that extra step. Is there no way to press the power button once (in Sat mode) and have it turn on the Hopper and send the infrared command to turn the soundbar on too?

Thanks!

I have a Hopper3, Sharp TV, Yamaha Soundbar. The Hopper is connected to TV with HDMI. The soundbar is connected to TV's optical audio output. This is an older soundbar that has no HDMI passthrough ports, so optical or RCA cables are the only way to feed it audio input.

The Hopper is configured with HDMI-CEC on. When someone picks up the remote (54.1) and presses the power button, the Hopper and TV turn on as expected, but the soundbar does not. The soundbar is properly configured as the Aux device, and the volume buttons on the remote do operate the soundbar volume (via infrared) as desired. If I press the Aux button on the remote and then the power button, the soundbar does turn on, but I would like to eliminate that extra step. Is there no way to press the power button once (in Sat mode) and have it turn on the Hopper and send the infrared command to turn the soundbar on too?

Thanks!
Not all soundbars turn on with the Hopper. Vizios are another, for an example

The power button only sends signal to the receiver and tv while in Sat mode. Techs have asked for the aux to be included for years but they have never implemented it.
Some sound bars turn on when they detect sound though but if yours does not then you'll have to continue to use the aux button then power then back to Sat mode, like you already are.

Not all soundbars turn on with the Hopper. Vizios are another, for an example
One of our bedrooms has a Vizio TV & Sound Bar hooked up to a J4K, everything turns on with one press of the power button in SAT mode. I don’t remember how I configured it but I guess I could check it out if the OP has a similar set up.

Reactions: charlesrshell
And as Troy said, some soundbars use a Standby mode and turn on when they sense an audio signal coming from whatever is feeding them

Reactions: charlesrshell