55 miles from stations????

yukon

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
I'm 55 miles from stations in my area. Is there any chance of me getting the HD OTA without putting up a huge outside antenna???

thanks

At 55 miles, an outside antenna will most likely be needed.

But every house is a bit different. Do you have an existing attic antenna you can try? It would be worth a shot.

Eddie

I do it with a Silver Sensor ant in the atic and a channel master 7777 amp.

The key is the amp and an attenuator down by the receiver to tweak.

The Silver sensor is designed for DTV. It does better than the Rad Shat UHF ant and many of the channel master Ant.

Sears and other stores have it. Give it a try, if it dont work return it. Its so small.

Concur! Unless you're living in the hills and your stations are broadcasting a very strong signal, the odds of your pulling in a reliable signal are slim. Me? I have two beautiful outside antennas and receive programming from my home DMA of Washington DC (55+ miles), Richmond VA (51+ miles), Charlottesville VA (53+ miles) and Baltimore HD (90+ miles). Three years ago I tried and indoor antenna with zero successful. I walked the roof with an 8-VSB signal meter and received a very weak (-13db) signal from the DC and Richmond stations...a good well-placed rooftop antenna and preamp were the only way for me to receive OTA. I know of two individuals who receive near perfect reception by mounting their antennas in the attic at 60-70 miles out, but they are well-elevated in the hills of Virginia/West Virginia and their local broadcasters are operating full power at 450-1000kW. You can check out one of my earlier OTA posts , but you may be better off asking this question to someone in your area.

yeah already checked that out.. I'm in the Macon, GA DMA, but I just checked antennaweb and it says I'm 44 miles from the main stations I need to get. So lets rephrase the 60+ and say 44. Any chance with indoor antenna. The problem i live in low lying property...

And what color did antennaweb say those 44 miles out stations were?

A couple of rules-of-thumb for antennaweb. First, it is conservative and based on outdoor antenna reception. If you install the antenna configuration they recommend for a given channel, mostly likely you will get it. Second, for an attic install, jump the color code up at least one level and you have a fair to good chance of receiving the signal. Finally, unless your channels are pumping out at 500 to 1,000 kw, with an attic antenna you need a good pre-amp (e.g., CM 7775). Also, attic antennas don't work if you have a steel roof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts