56% of viewers would drop ESPN

You both can't be right.

Depends on how it is measured.

An event like the BCS championship, Monday Night Football, etc. will always beat Fox News and everyone else and anything else. On a boring Tuesday night Fox News will get more ratings than ESPN. On a boring Tuesday morning the same. http://www.medialifemagazine.com/this-weeks-cable-ratings/ Here is a summary of last week's numbers.

In the coveted 18-49 age group ESPN creams anyone else. The demographics and real purchasing power = real dollars spent on ads. Fox News viewers are often total cheapskates and while there are eyeballs watching, they don't spend much.

How many channels are there that if they were dropped from a provider, a massive amount of subscriber would drop that provider?

I guarantee if a provider dropped ESPN they would lose more customers than ever.

I watch TBS more than most channels but if it was dropped I wouldn't switch providers. Why? Because I can find most of its content elsewhere.

Agreed. This is why none has dropped it. And that's telling by itself. ESPN is not going anywhere soon. Someday things may change, but that's a LONG way off.

The sports fan is a different breed of person. They are very loyal and willing to spend money, sometimes a lot of money for their teams. I don't know too many people that are going to switch providers because they lost HGTV. They may not be happy but they can find the same or similar content online or somewhere else or just go without it altogether.

How many channels are there that if they were dropped from a provider, a massive amount of subscriber would drop that provider?

I guarantee if a provider dropped ESPN they would lose more customers than ever.

I watch TBS more than most channels but if it was dropped I wouldn't switch providers. Why? Because I can find most of its content elsewhere.

The sports fan is a different breed of person. They are very loyal and willing to spend money, sometimes a lot of money for their teams. I don't know too many people that are going to switch providers because they lost HGTV. They may not be happy but they can find the same or similar content online or somewhere else or just go without it altogether.

I can't totally disagree about ESPN. There actually are a nice following of the channel you happened to pick - HGTV, it's older people often in my experience and they might actually switch providers! They added some original content that would appeal to a somewhat younger audience and I see they did very well in 2014.
But your overall point is a good one.

Reactions: Brussam
I can't totally disagree about ESPN. There actually are a nice following of the channel you happened to pick - HGTV, it's older people often in my experience and they might actually switch providers! They added some original content that would appeal to a somewhat younger audience and I see they did very well in 2014.
But your overall point is a good one.

I know HGTV is a very popular channel but I just don't see it being one that would make people switch. I know they would complain a lot and threaten to switch but it wouldn't have near the affect that ESPN would have. Sports fans are a little more passionate and are probably more likely to make a rash decision in order to see their favorite sports team. If I lose HGTV I can watch Property Brothers on Netflix.

I know HGTV is a very popular channel but I just don't see it being one that would make people switch. I know they would complain a lot and threaten to switch but it wouldn't have near the affect that ESPN would have. Sports fans are a little more passionate and are probably more likely to make a rash decision in order to see their favorite sports team. If I lose HGTV I can watch Property Brothers on Netflix.

I agree. Sports has a unique quality of appeal in that it is the right now, right here event. A few people may watch the Super Bowl a week after it happens, but most will lose interest once they know the outcome. That's just not true about how to build a deck on your house. There's lot's of sources for deck building, but only one time and source to watch the Super Bowl.

I agree. Sports has a unique quality of appeal in that it is the right now, right here event. A few people may watch the Super Bowl a week after it happens, but most will lose interest once they know the outcome. That's just not true about how to build a deck on your house. There's lot's of sources for deck building, but only one time and source to watch the Super Bowl.

That's exactly right. Sports are unique to all TV programming. It's hard to argue it.

But the whole point of this thread is that, despite the conventional wisdom that says most people want sports programming, this poll says that most people don't. ESPN is a premium network that remains in basic lineups due to this misconception. If I could save one penny, I would drop ESPN tomorrow.

Quite Honestly they should never have taken Monday Night fooball off of your local network.

This is the only reason ESPN is successful.
ESPN would Flat Line if MNF ever went back .
And they know it!

I would certainly boycott the channel if that would bring price in check.

But we all know you football junkys wouldn't be able to go without your drug.! (Monday Night Football)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quite Honestly they should never have taken Monday Night fooball off of your local network.

And they know it!

But we all know you football junkys wouldn't be able to go without your drug.! (Monday Night Football)

Well, I don't think we're just talking about ESPN though. I assume we are talking about ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU. If you lose ESPN you lose the rest and that covers a lot of sports. Some people wouldn't even be able to watch their teams play on TV if it wasn't for ESPNU and ESPN2. Football is king but it's more than just that.

And they know it!

Monday Night Football used to be on ABC and Sunday Night Football used to be on ESPN. Disney changed Monday to ESPN when NBC got hold of Sunday.

But the whole point of this thread is that, despite the conventional wisdom that says most people want sports programming, this poll says that most people don't. ESPN is a premium network that remains in basic lineups due to this misconception. If I could save one penny, I would drop ESPN tomorrow.
According to the poll, half of subscribers want ESPN. It isn't going anywhere. People need to accept this and make any changes necessary to deal with that reality.

Even then, I doubt just over half would say bye bye to ESPN. Maybe for a while, but then they'd change their mind down the road. "Hmm... I'm paying $84 now to not get ESPN. For $6 more I could get ESPN. That would make sense."

And they know it!

If you think that one football game a week is all which makes ESPN successful, then you obviously don't watch ESPN and are not much of a sports fan. It was their success to begin with which allowed them to have the money to even bid on an NFL contract. They offer a large variety of sports, many of which are exclusive.

If you think that one football game a week is all which makes ESPN successful, then you obviously don't watch ESPN and are not much of a sports fan. It was their success to begin with which allowed them to have the money to even bid on an NFL contract. They offer a large variety of sports, many of which are exclusive.
Well Monday night football is the only thing I saw On that list posted that has ratings worth mentioning.

Did yous read it?

Well Monday night football is the only thing I saw On that list posted that has ratings worth mentioning.

Did yous read it?

Which list are you specifically referring to? If you look at ratings of individual programs, you will see the most viewed ones at the top. That doesn't mean that other programming isn't watched. I mean, in a couple of weeks the Super Bowl will be the highest rated show of the year but that doesn't mean that CBS doesn't offer other popular programming.

Which list are you specifically referring to? If you look at ratings of individual programs, you will see the most viewed ones at the top. That doesn't mean that other programming isn't watched. I mean, in a couple of weeks the Super Bowl will be the highest rated show of the year but that doesn't mean that CBS doesn't offer other popular programming.
328605fdac2fd703fdcdac67903df26a.jpg

Using your logic, HBO would go broke if not for Game of Thrones.
People pay more money for HBO then what they are forced to pay ESPN.

When ESPN is A la carte, Then let's see how much longer they survive.

For HBO to make that list Is impressive considering there is an opt out.

Reactions: Tampa8
People pay more money for HBO then what they are forced to pay ESPN.

When ESPN is A la carte, Then let's see how much longer they survive.

For HBO to make that list Is impressive considering there is an opt out.

They'll survive just fine. They would have to drastically change their strategy but they would continue on just fine. They would probably have customers pay around $15-$20 for their ESPN package of channels and sports fans would do it. They would charge more to bars as well, and once again, they would pay it.

I think it's all the other channels that would really struggle if they went a la carte.

I think it's all the other channels that would really struggle if they went a la carte.

Absolutely, Because they all suck.
But they are also 6-10 times less money than ESPN.

I like NFL football .
But I'll miss 1 game a year to save $75+

If ESPN went A la carte they know they would lose a lot of money.
People would subscribe to the service, and cancel when they don't need it.

Now they forced to pay for it with any package over 120 pack.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)