56% of viewers would drop ESPN

Fox News, being more expensive, also goes in the high tiered packages.

Fox News is in the lower tier packages, it is in the Select Pkg. for D*, 120 for E and when I just had Blast Plus for Comcast ( their 45 channel pkg, but no ESPN) it was on.

They are streaming, but technically you still have to have ESPN in a pay tv provider subscription to have access to it, so if people follow the "rules" of the streaming process no pay tv customers are stolen. As far as I know of, there is no stand alone ESPN streaming option. Sling is the closest thing to one.
Yes but who's commercials are they watching when streaming, certainly not all the locals that are inserted by the cable/satellite providers. If I subscribe to Dish but watch ESPN on an app, do I see all the Dish promos for instance? How about the local car dealer inserts on cable? While technically they aren't stealing viewers they are, in fact, stealing viewing and that amounts to the same thing.

Maybe. But crap like Viacom's silly channels and Fox News., etc. should also be ala carte. I don't watch any of the Viacom crap and I certainly won't watch Fox News. If we're going ala carte we need to go all the way,

Look, I don't like what ESPN charges, but then again I find myself watching them frequently. In fact, w/o sports I wouldn't subscribe to the rest of the channels.
The fact you don't watch Fox news has no bearing on something being A La Carte or not, that isn't a barometer for that. Otherwise everything is A La Carte, and we don't want that. Fox News is one of the most watched cable channels, not just the most watched news cable channel. Making it A La carte would be counter productive. The idea of ESPN (And the poll) is that so many at least claim to not watch or would rather have the reduction in cost and combine that with the overall cost of all the sports channels/RSN's combined. It would be counterproductive to the consumer to take popular channels like Fox News, TNT USA etc out of packages and make them more expensive A La Carte.
Even going back to the beginnings of Satellite and Cable not everything was A La Carte nor is that really a worthy goal.

Instead of being biased, had you said take all news channels and make a separate package that may make some sense, though again most everyone watches them with some regularity, I don't think it would be cost effective to exclude them from regular packages. Why wouldn't you say the same for MSNBC, it has literally statistically a few hundred viewers at times.

If I cared about sports I would be with Directv, since I don't that's why I'm with Dish.
And Dish pricing is better.
Dish isn't that great with its pro sports coverage .
Which is my guess why Dish is cheaper.
Sports is a Huge money racket.
Sure I like sports, But those people that will pay anything to get it are the Suckers that Jack the rates and demand up.

Well those same people finally can't afford it as much as they could before, and now they are finally doing without, but in the meantime the Prices are still peaked. And the Sports Networks are losing ground.

You wait, these sports Networks don't want to be a la carte ,because they are scared to find out what the real demand will be when they try and wack you $10 or $15 for ESPN suite.

More and more people are watching their free sports OTA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Ouch....that hurts! That's me you're talking about! :p

Love my sports, that's one of the reasons I left Dish for Direct but cut the cord last year because costs have got too ridiculous. Had Sunday Ticket, NBA League Pass, etc but it just got too much. Not many people might know this but if you have a kid in college they can get Sunday Ticket Max for you for $100, instead of the regular $400 & I now eliminate the others or do half season subscription, all now streaming of course.

Doctor Who - BBC America
Flash, Arrow - CW
Star Wars Rebels and various Marvel Cartoons - DisneyXD
Walking Dead - AMC
The Librarians - TNT
Supergirl, Heroes Reborn, Agents of SHIELD, Gotham, Last Man Standing, etc - The Big 4 Networks
Hallmark - Happy Wife
Hallmark Movies - Happy Wife
Hopper Whole House DVR - This really is a big part of staying. For years I had channel modulaters on every Dish receiver so we could watch something recorded on the bedroom dvr in the living room. Every tv in house could tune to 40 for the Living Room DVR, 42 for M Bedroom DVR, etc. I now have a lot less cabling and equipment needed thanks to the hopper system. Can't wait for the Hopper 3.

And yes, I know that I can get most of the shows I watch on Netflix, but I don't choose to wait for the new seasons to get to Netflix.
I have bought every Doctor Who DVD/Blu-Ray that is available (That includes all DVDs since the original 1963 episodes) but I still watch the show when it airs so I don't have to wait.

The only sports that I watch are KC Chiefs and KC Royals games. The Chiefs games are all on the Networks. The Royals are the only thing I watch on a sports channel and that is one of the Fox Sports channel.
Watching the Chiefs now.......my condolences! As a long suffering Dolphins fan I'm sorry you didn't beat those stinking Patriots!

Maybe. But crap like Viacom's silly channels and Fox News., etc. should also be ala carte. I don't watch any of the Viacom crap and I certainly won't watch Fox News. If we're going ala carte we need to go all the way,

Look, I don't like what ESPN charges, but then again I find myself watching them frequently. In fact, w/o sports I wouldn't subscribe to the rest of the channels.
Not a fan of the Fox News but I don't think any of the news channels should be ala carte, we already have enough people in their "bubble". We need easy access to all view points plus it's good to know what's feeding these far right/far left wingers. If I had to subscribe separately to Fox News or MSNBC I'm sure I would be staying in my CNN "bubble". ;)

Reactions: dare2be and Tampa8
The fact you don't watch Fox news has no bearing on something being A La Carte or not, that isn't a barometer for that. Otherwise everything is A La Carte, and we don't want that. Fox News is one of the most watched cable channels, not just the most watched news cable channel. Making it A La carte would be counter productive. The idea of ESPN (And the poll) is that so many at least claim to not watch or would rather have the reduction in cost and combine that with the overall cost of all the sports channels/RSN's combined. It would be counterproductive to the consumer to take popular channels like Fox News, TNT USA etc out of packages and make them more expensive A La Carte.
Even going back to the beginnings of Satellite and Cable not everything was A La Carte nor is that really a worthy goal.

Instead of being biased, had you said take all news channels and make a separate package that may make some sense, though again most everyone watches them with some regularity, I don't think it would be cost effective to exclude them from regular packages. Why wouldn't you say the same for MSNBC, it has literally statistically a few hundred viewers at times.
+1..... and I'm more a liberal & not a fan of Fox News.

If I could drop Espn and all sports channels to save money , I would do it yesterday. I don't watch sports and do not like subsidizing them with my satellite bill. I really would love it if they would all go ala cart and those who want them could pay for them at what ever price they want to charge.
I agree. As long as the same applies to all the niche channels as well.
In fact, i'd like to see it all go a la carte......All of it.
I'd sub to maybe 30 channels.

Agree, Sports should all be A la carte, Just the same as the Movie Channels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Well, if sports programming were not offered in some type of sports only tier, the next move would be pay per view. At that point, the whole thing crashes and burns. Few people are going to fork over $5 to $10 for a game view.
I chose that figure because the American Hockey League charges I think $6 or $7 to view a game on line. There are other similar minor professional leagues that do have streaming game views for a fee.
MiLB.com allows users to view individual minor league baseball games.
I have to figure an individual Major League Game view would be roughly $10 to $15....An NHL game....$7- $10. NBA? Dunno. Probably in the $10-$12 range. Football? It's on OTA tv. But the games on pay tv only? Who knows. $20 per game?....
Only die hards would pay to see one game. And playoff games for each sports league? Don't have a guess.
All I can say is if this ever happens where pro and college sports is forced to go PPV, it will become cost prohibitive and the average Joe/Jane will balk.

Smithsonian Channel

Can't set on demand download time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)