5710 test channel

Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
it is showing something, but its listed as TEST...does anyone know what it is?

Its HD Theater, on channel 9421. Rides is on right now. Its been a mirror there for quite a while, but as to why- who knows!

A tech service rep told me that it is what its name implies: A test channel showing true HD that techs use to check a subscriber's HD reception.

Here is the deal folks... Discovery Networks REQUIRES HD Theater to be available to anyone and everyone on the service. 5710 is the way Dish complies. Dish is not doing it out of the kindness of their heart. :)

This is true on Warner Cable locally as well. Plug the cable from the wall to the TV as long as it has a QAM tuner you get Discovery HD Theater.

See ya
Tony

Here is the deal folks... Discovery Networks REQUIRES HD Theater to be available to anyone and everyone on the service. 5710 is the way Dish complies. Dish is not doing it out of the kindness of their heart. :)

This is true on Warner Cable locally as well. Plug the cable from the wall to the TV as long as it has a QAM tuner you get Discovery HD Theater.

See ya
Tony
How does this meet Discovery Network's requirement then? Is TEST mapped down to 364 or 9421? I think it makes no sense to tell customers to tune to TEST to view HDTHR... Is that what E* is telling customers, to tune to TEST? I'd think that Discovery would want the channel to list a same similar to HDTHR...

It's not in the clear on my Comcast system.

Besides, why would they need to put it on a different channel, they could just make the main channel available to all HD subscribers.

Well.. I swear about three weeks ago Military HD was airing on the test channel??? is Military HD mapped currently??? Because I figured they were "testing" it before they rolled it out, because the next day it was gone and HDNET was there.

Well.. I swear about three weeks ago Military HD was airing on the test channel??? is Military HD mapped currently??? Because I figured they were "testing" it before they rolled it out, because the next day it was gone and HDNET was there.

Nope. 5710 points to the same video stream as HDTHR.

So I was seeing things when I saw "MilitaryHD" in the lower corner... with an HD Helicopter Show?

Is Military HD even uplinked? Cuz if its not, I may need to up my medications.

Dish is not telling ANYONE about it. They want customers to pay for it.

On TWC it was on channel 970 (mapped by QAM TVs) but now it's on something real bazzaire and very hard to find like 97-125 surrounded by dozens inactive channels the system makes the QA< scan pick up. you have to search. And every so often it moves! But it's always in the clear. One time it took me a week to find it.

I am not making this up.

It is not a mistake. It is not a test for dealers, though it works nicely as one.

It is a channel available to all subscribers ON PURPOSE...not by Dish, but by Discovery. How long that deal is for is anyone's guess.

See ya
Tony

I just found this channel on my receiver. I have an 811 I have subbed just for SD channels only.
So your saying Discovery wants Dish to provide HD theater to every subscriber? But they don't tell them how to do it?
Reminds me of when I drove cross-country for a trucking company a couple of years ago. They had a safety meeting every month in a Flying J truckstop in Ohio near their headquarters. Most drivers never went to one because they were on the road driving. I had it explained to me this way. The DOT (Fed Gov) requires them to have a safety meeting every month for their drivers. It does not say anything about how many have to be there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)