5G networks could wreak havoc on weather forecasting, officials warn

Discussion in 'Free To Air (FTA) Discussion' started by Magic Static, May 18, 2019.

1. Magic Static

Magic Static Topic Starter FTA Geek Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU! Lifetime Supporter

FTA4PA and N5XZS like this.
  2. Radioguy41

Radioguy41 SatelliteGuys Pro

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the FCC is inept and hasn't got a clue nor has it for decades.

cee, raydio, Jim S. and 2 others like this.
  3. N5XZS

N5XZS SatelliteGuys Pro

Make me so piss off with FCC have no understanding of radio spretium now day's.

5G is spreading like cancer and no remorse for other radio users out here!:(:rolleyes:

4. Tampa8

Tampa8 Supporting Founder Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

5. N5XZS

N5XZS SatelliteGuys Pro

You won't like it's going down from here. Going to be pretty sh!tty from there on. I feel sorry for NOAA they going to hurt to most!:(

raydio likes this.
  6. johnnynobody

johnnynobody SatelliteGuys Pro

I don't see any real advantage to having 5G anyway since it would benefit those with unlimited data plans, only. Having the faster speeds would improve the quality of streamed movies but you'd be using more data. So, until I can afford an "unlimited" data plan, 5G (and even 4G) is useless to me. Besides, who would want to stream a movie or play online games on such a small screen anyway? Just sayin'....

raydio and danristheman like this.
  7. Titanium

Titanium AI6US Lifetime Supporter

5G is projected to become one of the preferred delivery methods for the final mile of data distribution and not confined only to mobile devices.

One of the major costs for subscription data distribution is drop maintenance. Like it or not, expect an accelerated transition to RF links rather than hardwired.

8. VictoriaFTA

VictoriaFTA SatelliteGuys Family

5G is going to be such a menace. It's another example of American companies half-assing it instead of just doing it right the first time around. Wireless will never be an acceptable substitute for fiber.

With all these towers being placed in such closer proximity to people I bet cancer rates are going to skyrocket. But hey, who cares about getting cancer, at least you can look at cat videos on your phone faster!

raydio and danristheman like this.
  9. NYDutch

NYDutch SatelliteGuys Pro Pub Member / Supporter

I don't know why you would consider 5G to be uniquely American. Worldwide adoption is ongoing, and companies like NTT DoCoMo in Japan for instance, have been experimenting with 5G since 2010.

When Will 5G Be Available in Your Country?

10. comfortably_numb

comfortably_numb Dogs have owners, cats have staff Pub Member / Supporter

raydio and NYDutch like this.
  11. NYDutch

I agree the 5G spec hasn't been firmed up yet, but enough is known that carriers can be preparing for the final version now. The bigger delay in adoption will likely be at the consumer end in upgrading to 5G capable devices.

12. harshness

harshness SatelliteGuys Master

The FCC is charged with making sure that the spectrum gets used in the public interest. It isn't hard to make a case that a handful of hobbyists doesn't stack up to much larger quantities of wireless users.

Let's not forget that the over-arching directives that drive FCC policy come from Congress.

13. VictoriaFTA

VictoriaFTA SatelliteGuys Family

The talk of companies not even bothering with rolling out fiber to the home anymore because 5G will be an acceptable substitute is the aspect that is uniquely American.

Asian and European countries were rolling out fiber to the home to every household starting decades ago while American companies were resting on their laurels milking copper. Today the availability of fiber in the U.S. is still in limited areas whereas in countries like Japan it's been available to every home for years.

NYDutch and Jim S. like this.
  14. comfortably_numb

comfortably_numb Dogs have owners, cats have staff Pub Member / Supporter

That's due to the differences in economic systems between those countries and the US. The FCC's job is not to make broadband available everywhere. That's the work of private enterprise, which needs to be able to monetize broadband in the places fiber is installed. Internet access isn't a right, and if you move somewhere in a rural area without internet access, that's a choice you make. I made that choice, but did gradually notice my state legislature make grants available to fiber companies to bring high speed internet to my town. Even then, those companies still want to see a ROI and that makes complete sense to me. Broadband is not considered an essential utility in the US (yet).

N5XZS, NYDutch, raydio and 1 other person like this.
  15. raydio

raydio K4ECP Supporting Founder Pub Member / Supporter

Also don't forget the Chairman of the FCC is a political appointee - Also whomever in the "public interest" has the deepest pockets is likely to get their way - Just like every other department in the US Government money talks and sh!t walks -

16. Juan

Juan Supporting Founder Supporting Founder

Asian is mostly cellular as far as europe and fiber ..you better let the UK know
    Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

17. NYDutch

The US is the 3rd largest country in the world by area. Japan is 63rd. What does that tell you about the ease and cost of running fiber to every home?

18. Tampa8

Tampa8 Supporting Founder Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

19. johnnynobody

johnnynobody SatelliteGuys Pro

Last time I checked there wasn't any scientific proof that cell signals cause cancer. Regardless, I wouldn't stand in front of a microwave billboard antenna with a 50 kW transmitter.

20. Juan

Juan Supporting Founder Supporting Founder

5g transmitters will be installed on telephone poles in front of your house
    Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Titanium likes this.

Separate names with a comma.

More...