5lb dish and snow. :(

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

veener88

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
For the first time ever with a dish I am having a huge problem with my 5 LNB dish and snow. It just gathers with out a problem even if there is a wind. With the single and 3 LNB I never had a problem but this new dish I am having a problem with it. What I am wondering is there a way for me to fix this? Or maybe was my dish not coated right? I never had this issue with any other dish on my roof and they have all been in the same spot. What sucks is that is it on my roof in on top of the 2 story part so I have to get on a ladder to clean it.

I did hear of the PAM trick but that did nothing at all. Thanks for any help on this. We might get some snow sunday so I want to see if I can get this fixed maybe by then.

I remember when I had my big dish we had a cover for it, kind of a mesh looking one that really helped. We lived in the Colorado mountains at the time and there was a lot of snow. I don't know if they make this for the smaller dishes or not. Try a Google search?

I have heard of people in the snowy area's of the North East and Colorado using car wax, and even rain X. I live in a very snow part of the country myself, but have never had a problem. I have had 3" on my dish and I would still get in the 70's for signal strength.

I had two instances in December when a wet sticky snow caused a signal loss. It was interesting to observe that the MPEG2 channels were lost before the MPEG4 channels. I observed older style dish installs during this time frame and they had less buildup indicating the new design or finish is contributing to the signal loss. We haven't had any significant snow since then so no further observations.
I'm in the Detroit market.

Wet sticky snow can cause a problem no matter what dish you have. Light fluffy snow doesn't seem to be a problem. It's the moisture content that blocks the signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)