Picture quality during basketball games

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sharpie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Has anyone seen a difference in their picture quality when watching basketball games in HD especially on ESPN? For myself, the picture quality when they are showing close ups of players is great but when they pan out and show the court and gets a slight grainy appearance. I think it is due to the lights bouncing off the floor creating this image. I haven't changed any of my settings and football in HD looks outstanding but basketball is a different story. Any thoughts?

Sharpie said:
Has anyone seen a difference in their picture quality when watching basketball games in HD especially on ESPN? For myself, the picture quality when they are showing close ups of players is great but when they pan out and show the court and gets a slight grainy appearance. I think it is due to the lights bouncing off the floor creating this image. I haven't changed any of my settings and football in HD looks outstanding but basketball is a different story. Any thoughts?

One of the games I was watching last night had a close up on the announcers.
It was not in hd. It was ws, but definitely not hd. Maybe the shot you are talking
about is for the same reason.

This is happening when it is in HD. It is only the view of the floor that looks at of sorts not the players, crowd or anything else.

Always has been that way. Those close up shots really are incredible...I think that it may have something to do with the lighting. Just wanted to let you know that your seeing it the way it is. I have wondered the same myself on several occasions.

Sharpie said:

I have noticed the same thing for as long as I have had HD with D*. ESPN2 looks great no matter what camera angle you get. ESPN's issue could be because D* "down Rez's" the signal, or ESPN uses the same old camera from when they first started broadcasting in HD as the main court camera. I have noticed this on college football games as well. I heard they got all new camera's and satellite truck equiptment for ESPN2's camera crew's.

Sharpie said:

I've noticed what you are describing on many games this year. Really noticed it during the Duke/BC game last night. Haven't paid attention to whether it is better on ESPN 2. Will watch a little closer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)