5LNB antenna help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

deepsea195

Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
I live in the DC area. i have my antenna mounted on the roof 4 floors up. nothing between the antenna and the sky. recently i upgraded from the 3LNB antenna and MPEG3 receiver to the H20 MPEG4 receiver and the slim line 5LNB antenna.

Today is the third time a tech is going to my roof to align the antenna. On the old antenna and receiver combo my signal strength averaged 80 and above on all birds and all transponders. With the new combination H20/5LNB i am luck to break 70 on just about any bird or transponder. Last nigh in the high winds my standard def receiver could not hang on to a signal.

My assumption is the slim line antenna is not that great? safe assumption? my other assumption is that the mount for the 18" antenna is not up to the task of supporting the new 5LNB antenna. Safe assumption there? I want the tech today to add some supports to the antenna mount to keep this from happening.

Thoughts, Thanks

The 5LNB antenna is actually a great antenna. I get mid to high 90's on all transponders, including Ka from the NY area. The installer has to swap out the mount for the old 18" antenna because the pipe is too narrow, the new dish just does not fit on it.

A realignment is necessary, it's not brain surgery so any competent installer should be able to get you great signal strength with this dish. Mine is installed on my roof without any additional supports(4" lag bolts through roof rafter). And even in high winds I get no signal loss. YMMV.

Ahh yes. I missed the H20 reference. Still wind should not be a factor. It should be checked.

Someone posted links to the install-videos for that antenna (on here, some time ago).
It seemed to be a pretty involved install.
I wonder how much experience the guys in the field have?

You or I could put up a 1-, or 2--LNB dish pretty easily.
Some of the 3-LNB jobs get a little tricky.
That big DirectMonster looks like a whole new ball game.

Plus, if it's up there in the sky, that big reflector can catch a lot of air.
See if they can send out a supervisor, or someone with more experience...

Ii have my antenna mounted on the roof 4 floors up. nothing between the antenna and the sky.

What is the total RG6 run distance; over 200'? Seems like a long way.

With the new combination H20/5LNB i am luck to break 70 on just about any bird or transponder. Last nigh in the high winds my standard def receiver could not hang on to a signal.

The new combo does report lower signal numbers than it is actually receiving, BUT not getting any signal does denote a problem for sure; I still have concerns over the length of the RG6 run above and the incorrect mast install below.

My assumption is the slim line antenna is not that great? safe assumption?

Wrong assumption.

my other assumption is that the mount for the 18" antenna is not up to the task of supporting the new 5LNB antenna. Safe assumption there? I want the tech today to add some supports to the antenna mount to keep this from happening. Thoughts, Thanks

There is a specific mast that is to be used with the 5LNB dishes, so your install is TOTALLY wrong in this regard for sure and likely to lead to headaches by not being installed correctly AND should have never happened by any pro-installer; this aches of pure laziness. Get the correct mast first and foremost.

I missed the mast comment in the original post.
There is no way they should have reused the mast for the 18" dish.
(but if they did...)
Charper1 is absolutely correct, if you do have the wrong mast.
But, just like Dish's SuperDish, you don't go putting up a sail like that without the reinforcing struts! :)

This is the install done on sat 24th feb

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

WOW! did you ask for it to be installed so low, right next the garage door in front, and directly underneath where the roof will drain rain water? Although the install looks to be nice quality, I can't agree on the location placement at all; especially seeing no tree or other obstructions to deal with.

I noticed alot of the new installs in South Florida are about 4-5 feet off the ground. Maybe the installation companies stopped issuing ladders ?

This is the install done on sat 24th feb

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

That looks fine.
2 dual cables. drip loops. ground wire attached. 2 support braces.
You know people "think' every dish is supposed to go up high, but in Tx with the higher elevation you don't need it. Your dish is easily serviceable in bad weather.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AT9 settings...

FCC investigating MLB Deal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)